Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Just the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    I think the highest tip I got once was $40.

On average, when I was a server, I'd walk out with $100-120 for 5 hours of serving a night.
    Geeze, where did you work? I typically walk out with about $5.
    You are not a girl.
    I actually find this a little insulting.

I made a ton of money because I worked hard, was friendly and talked to my customers, and gave them good service.
    You can find it as insulting as you want, it doesn't change the fact that we live in a society that bases success on levels of attractiveness and gender.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Yeah, taking money from the tip jar is definitely theft.

I actually find this a little insulting.

I made a ton of money because I worked hard, was friendly and talked to my customers, and gave them good service.
    Good service can obviously increase tips, but being an attractive girl can too.

EDIT: I also generally tip between 15-20%, depending on the service and the closest round dollar number for the total.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Faris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Tipping is weird. Why don't we just pay people the wages they're entitled to?
    Maybe it's not the same anymore but to my understanding waitresses get paid below minimum wage in some areas.

I tip 10%, more if the service is awesome at restaurants. For services (hair, or spa treatments) I tend to tip between 15 - 20%
    Dude. 10%? troutty tipper alert.

Also, yes. Servers get paid less than minimum wage. I think I've given the "how servers get paid" post like 5 times of EoFF. x) There's a lot that goes into it, actually.
    Okay, I lied. I usually tip $5. 10% is the "average" tip around here

Edit: Now that I think about it, the person who I learned the "10% tip" thing is cheap.
    Last edited by Faris; 10-13-2012 at 05:29 AM.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

Blog Entries

I am an excellent tipper I usually just leave $20 no matter how small the bill, but if it's over $100 I'll tip 20-25% of the total. Depending on service, of course

Sarah and I always have to eat out together, because I can't eat out in public alone and she can't tip because she was raised in a place where tipping is considered an insult :freak:
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah sam, even if you find it insulting It's still how it goes. Men just tend to give cute girls more. You working hard does help but yah.

Oh, we give them more alright..

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I prefer it when the tip is included in the wage and additional tipping is optional, for reasons Quin mentioned and because it should not be the customer's place to determine whether the server gets paid minimum wage this month.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

But yeah, when I'm in functioning countries I tip ~10% standard, with extra depending on how awesome the service was and how low cut her blouse was.

If I ever find myself in America, I'll go 15% for standard service, though I usually chuck in extra when I'm served by kids just trying to pay their way through college. Fortunately, America is repulsive. xD

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not everyone wants you for your body, Sam. Don't be so shallow. Plenty of people just want to love you, and feel loved in return. So they pay you money, because they're shy, or are embarrassed about being such a raging lesbian.

Obviously.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually don't mind the custom of tipping itself--mostly because I overtip (20% minimum unless I literally can't afford it or the server has done something horribly wrong such as summoning Nyarlathotep) -- but I can't abide how it's dealt with socially, at least in restaurants.

Bars and coffee shops, no problem, but restaurants are the devil's jizz.

For one thing there's no clear-cut custom of where and how one is supposed to tip. Leave it on the table? At the counter where you pay your bill? Is there a jar somewhere? And if you ask, you get that look like you're something they've scraped off the bottom of your shoe, because apparently, you're supposed to pretend that tipping isn't happening. That rather than being a time-honoured, accepted, and expected part of our society, it's supposed to be some big secret. Like if it was known that tipping was happening, the shade of J.D. Rockefeller would *poof!* pop into existence, snatch up the tip, and caper between the tables chanting "mine mine it's all mine."

You know what I was told once, by a server? "Hide the tip"

Brilliant plan! Hide the tip! So the server's first impression of you is "that cum-guzzling thundertwat didn't leave a tip!" Good. Well done. Then, when they find the tip, even if it's a 100% tip, the best you can hope for is to be upgraded to "pretentious jackass."

People. Stop being twats. Tipping is not a secret.

I like bars and coffee shops. They have a jar. Sometimes even labelled "tip jar" because let's face it, people stiff bartenders and baristas a lot more than they do waitstaff and sometimes need a gentle reminder. The bar I go to even has a groove in the back of the bar with several holes in it, and people make it a game to try to get coins into the holes. Bigger tip == more coins == more shots. It becomes a matter of pride when you continue being able to get the coin in the holes as you become progressively more blitzed. Nobody gives you dirty looks for failing to pretend the custom of tipping doesn't exist. These people are doing it right. Restaurants need to learn from this.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think hiding might be more along the lines of the fact that some restaurants and coffee shops, etc pool their tips together and then split them out evenly. If people hide their tips, though, they can't go into the pool!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Citizen Bleys--

Leave it on the table, and 20% as the minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

10% tip is the standard here in my area, so I always try to include that at the end of every meal.

When we visited America that one time, we did tip way more. Don't know the exact amount, because I was younger and the parents dealt with money, but I like to imagine they gave at least 20%. :3

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also, tipping bar staff? Tipping hairdressers?

smurf off.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tipping a bar staff member in certain situations is a good idea, can guarantee you getting service fast throughout the night. Not so useful in clubs where literally you're one face in hundreds or thousands but on a busy night down the pub a tip can go a long way. But then so can simply being cheeky and memorable. I know I've never tipped one of the girls in the Acorn which is usually packed on a friday night but because I've shared a few jokes with some of the girls who work there I get served almost immediately.

When I worked as a waiter I was working 7 day weeks permanently some 60 hours a week and every weekend I would make between £70 and £130 in tips. Now consider I'm a bloke and that was my tips and I often earnt the highest tips of all the waiting staff in there I think you just need to realize it doesn't matter what gender you are. It matters how you make customers feel if they have a good time you'll get some good tips. I always viewed it as being a waiter is like being self employed, you own your section and if you make the customers in that section feel good then you'll earn more for doing so.

The biggest tip I ever got was from a party outing where I earnt a £70 tip. There was like 20 of them and I'd managed to keep it going with exception of some assistance carrying initial drink trays and food to the table on my own. Normally parties like that would take 2 - 3 waiters to manage but we were short staffed and busy, I volunteered to go for it and at the same point had to manage another few tables that were in my section. I bloody earnt every quid in that tip with a lot of hard graft.