Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Just the tip.

I don't tip when at home, because this is the UK so I don't feel the need.
    When I'm in the US I tip 10% max. Just call me Mr Pink.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Not to say there aren't cases. But most cases I've witnessed of this are when people sit at a table an hour or more after they've eaten. I've seen customers sit at table for 3 hours. One restaurant I worked out, when I clocked in at 4p, I took over the table from someone else, who had also taken over the table from someone else. They'd literally been there 7 hours. That's just being a bad customer. And while I know that most people don't do that, some do.
    I would've outright told them to leave. Seriously, I would have walked over asked them if they wished to order anything else when they said no, I would have said "well whilst I understand you're a paying customer, I really have to ask you to leave or else order something else because at the moment you're not a customer." If they refused to leave then insist or ask the manager to kick them out.

For me whenever I was doing the waiting tables as I cleared the main course I'd ask if they were interested in anything else, if yes I would order it there and then before clearing the table that way with coffees or cold desserts I could take them over right away or with hot ones it'd be in the kitchen preparing. When serving desserts I would also take the cheque to the table and leave it with the customer with the polite phrase "Just for when you're ready this is the cheque, if you require anything else just let me know" no customer I ever served took that as rude or got huffy about that. I wasn't pressuring them to leave I was merely multi-tasking and when it comes to a group of friends splitting the bill, giving it to them at that point will let them decide who is paying what over their desserts.

I ordered a sandwich almost two hours ago and it isn't here. Do I still tip the delivery driver?

There was a problem with the order so they had to remake it. They only told me this after I called them an hour and fifteen minutes after placing the initial order. They comped it and told me it would be delivered in about 10-15 minutes. 30 minutes later I called them and they told me the delivery driver hadn't left yet and was leaving right now (again). They gave me $10 store credit for my troubles.
    Last edited by Bunny; 10-19-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I ordered a sandwich almost two hours ago and it isn't here. Do I still tip the delivery driver?

There was a problem with the order so they had to remake it. They only told me this after I called them an hour and fifteen minutes after placing the initial order. They comped it and told me it would be delivered in about 10-15 minutes. 30 minutes later I called them and they told me the delivery driver hadn't left yet and was leaving right now (again). They gave me $10 store credit for my troubles.
    NO. You throw that sandwich in his face.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

They should have brought you two sandwiches as well. I would've been doubly hungry by then, at least.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I would say yes, only because it probably isn't the fault of the driver in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I wish I got tips at work.

Sometimes I haul my ass round the entire store looking for an item of clothing for a customer at a busy time when I should be doing something else. They'll then ask me to go up to the stock room, call other stores in the region, and sometimes I can be with one customer for a good 30 minutes when I have about 20 other tasks to do, but I do it with a smile on my face because that's my job, and usually the best I get is a forced 'Thanks' and sometimes not even that.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pretty much, that. Whatever tips waiters feel they are entitled too, retail staff are entitled to double.

I'm actually going to not tip out of spite now. smurf you and your piss easy jobs.

I would say yes, only because it probably isn't the fault of the driver in any way.
    I didn't give her a tip because I ended up waiting almost two and a half hours for my sandwich, they did not call me at any point to update me on what was happening, and the person in charge of making the sandwich is also usually the one who delivers it to me.

I was fully prepared to give them a tip unless I had a call them a second time to figure out why my food wasn't there yet.

You seem to have a "tipping is always 100% necessary" rule going on that I don't really understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    I wish I got tips at work.

Sometimes I haul my ass round the entire store looking for an item of clothing for a customer at a busy time when I should be doing something else. They'll then ask me to go up to the stock room, call other stores in the region, and sometimes I can be with one customer for a good 30 minutes when I have about 20 other tasks to do, but I do it with a smile on my face because that's my job, and usually the best I get is a forced 'Thanks' and sometimes not even that.

Probably just as hard for most people too

My boss gets me to be both a dishwasher and cook two nights of the week. So annoying when we get really busy (and that's mon and tues so if we're open on a holiday there's no dishwasher ~.~). Then only a few waitresses know how to do the cash register so my boss (who is the only other person at the back) has to go out front for cash =/

Poor waitresses get screwed over a bit too because the other ones keep quitting

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I tip way, way too much. Like 30% sometimes. Maybe because I feel all "oh noes this person might have a dog that needs surgery" or something.

Sigh.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For Christ's sake, woman, get over it. We get it; tipping makes you wet. That's fine, just stop doing it all over the carpet!

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro Jaggins View Post
    Tipping is weird. Why don't we just pay people the wages they're entitled to?
    Seriously. And why is it just in restaurants that people get tips? Do I not work 8 hours aswell and serve customers? Oh sorry, I work in a shop and people don't tip us. Tipping infuriates me

Apparently, in Italy, no one tips very much because their wages don't suck near as bad as ours.