Thread: The most present day Fantasy?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Question The most present day Fantasy?

Is it just me, or is this game perhaps the closest example of a "present day" Final Fantasy. it has the following:

• Cars
    • Guns and sniper rifles
    • Radio transmissions
    • "Schools", granted, incredibly militarised ones
    • Magazines
    • Recognisably modern towns
    • Spacesuits, reminiscent of modern day spacesuits

While FFVII has most of these, I found VII to be slightly more fantasy. What do you think?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I think you're right. FF13 is naturally more high tech, but that's way ahead of where we are today again. FF7's tech was like half 1960s, half present day. FF8 was more like 90% present day, 5% future, 5% a few decades ago. Excluding Esthar, cause you know why.

And of course, excluding the melee weapons, but that's a given because it is a japanese RPG we're playing after all.

Although I tihnk the gardens are more like military academies than schools. I am sure there are regular schools in the world as well, even if we didn't get to see them.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I remember reading somewhere that they figured Final Fantasy VIII took place sometime around the 60's with the way the cars looked, the constant presence of war, the fact that 20 years ago, Laguna was fighting in a larger scale war, etc.

I'm not sure how much gravity that theory holds, but it makes sense. Plus Raine's and Ellone's clothing strikes me as 50's.
    Returners Represent!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I agree, it seems very 'now'

One of the reasons that I loved 8 when I was younger was because of the world it created, and how realistic it was (set aside the fantasy) and for a long time I really wanted to go to Balamb Garden and be a Trepie!

I love the world of FFVIII.

It kind of reminds me of the 80s.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think I feel like FFVII is more "present day" because there's way more corruption and serfdom in that world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Edge7 View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that they figured Final Fantasy VIII took place sometime around the 60's with the way the cars looked, the constant presence of war, the fact that 20 years ago, Laguna was fighting in a larger scale war, etc.

I'm not sure how much gravity that theory holds, but it makes sense. Plus Raine's and Ellone's clothing strikes me as 50's.
    I don't think the war laguna participated in has any significance. There are wars all the time, after all. I don't really think the cars looked a lot like a specific earth time period, personally.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Final Fantasy VIII definitely had the most modern feel.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge7 View Post

I don't think the war laguna participated in has any significance. There are wars all the time, after all. I don't really think the cars looked a lot like a specific earth time period, personally.
    I don't know, the war Laguna fought in is said to be a world war with Esthar against all the other nations. It's how Galbadia acquired some of the places like Timber. So it was close to being an equivalent world war. It's not like there were many nations in VIII to begin with.

I feel VIII is the closest to now, largely because places like Dollet and Deling City could have real world equivalents now. I mean what really makes them different from a a late 20th/early 21st century European cities like Berlin and Paris? Even the characters clothing is mostly modern when you look at civilian clothing and the military formal wear.

VII is kind of a bit of post WWII meets 80s Akira it's the next closest to our modern world though it's also the second most Japanese world as well with the game showing a lot of customs and elements you would only see in Tokyo like Lucky Neko statues in front of stores, female greeters for convience stores, and random English words scattered about like the Texas sign in Tifa's Bar/AVALNACHE Hideout.

Blog Entries

I love every design of this game. The gameplay has its shortcomings, but no one can faulter its design. Of VII, VIII and FFIX, this game is my least favorite, but I can't deny the fact the FVIII is the best-looking of the three. Yes, it is the most contemporary in design, and every location looks "real" and completely inhabitable.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I love every design of this game. The gameplay has its shortcomings, but no one can faulter its design. Of VII, VIII and FFIX, this game is my least favorite, but I can't deny the fact the FVIII is the best-looking of the three. Yes, it is the most contemporary in design, and every location looks "real" and completely inhabitable.
    I can. I hate the design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

But you probably wouldn't even spit on someone if they were on fire.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't forget the crazy technology of Esthar. Dollet and Timber especially are also prime examples of the technology in the game. I can completely agree that it's and incredibly modern and present day representation of Final Fantasy.

I like what WK said about post WWII meets Akira. I can completely see this game being in that kind of world.