Thread: Gaming Hall of Fame.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Gaming Hall of Fame.

List games that for you, will always be special, and will always deserve a second playthrough, no matter how old they get. If you can, please explain it as well.

For me those games are:

The pokemon series- I'm sure we've all played at least one, pokemon is a unique and cute RPG that doesn't even resemble others. With hundreds of playable characters, and hundreds of possible versions of each character, Pokemon will go down in history as one of, if not the greatest handheld adventure ever.

Megaman Battle Network Series- Particularly 1 through 4. The mbn games are one part rpg, one part action, and one part fantasy. With an almost infinite list of possible chip combinations, addictive gameplay, and jokes about Lan being a pervert, this series will always remain on my shelf of honor.

FF7- do I really need to explain this one?

CC- I honestly can't fully explain my infatuation with this game, whether it be the combat that is half FF and half Kingdom Hearts, the lovable main character, the beautiful cutscenes, or the emotional ending, there isn't one part of this game I don't like.

Ratchet and Clank, up your Arsenal it may not look as good as the new games, but the evolving weapons and humorous story can seldom be beat.

Fallout 3- I know the graphics aren't great and the lack of Iron sights is a bit disappointing, but I can't think of another game, rpg or otherwise that feels as big as Fallout... that is except for....

Freelancer- Literally the largest game ever created, Freelancer gives you free roaming RPG Action adventure across an entire galaxy. The story, though short, is top notch, it is an epic MMO game that forces players to work together, and with fan additions, it is one of the largest games in terms of not only size, but filesize. Explore the galaxy, save humanity, and blow $@!# up!
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think the older games that have done this are obvious, they timelessly exist in the threads that we create and the posts we write about them.

I've been PC gaming almost exclusively the last few months, but recently I took a good look at my PS3 collection. I've had the machine for about five years and there's a consensus that its successor almost inevitably will be announced at the next E3. I started to wonder which games in my collection made enough of an impact on me to want to replay them. Here are the games that gave me those "replay goosebumps" you get while looking at the case, or I expect will:

(No order)
    1. Metal Gear Solid 4, Guns of the Patriots
    2. Far Cry 2 (already started replaying on PC)
    3. inFAMOUS
    4. Valkyria Chronicles
    5. Modern Warfare 2
    6. Gran Turismo 5
    7. F.E.A.R. 2 (replayed on PC)
    8. Final Fantasy XIII
    9. Grand Theft Auto IV (will replay on PC)
    10. Killzone 2
    11. Heavy Rain
    12. God of War III
    13. Battlefield (BC 1 + 2 and BF3)

As far as a quick overview of other games, I think the MGS series, the FF series and the Matsuno/Quest/Ivalice games, from Ogre Battle to FFXII, will always have that appeal. I have yet to replay Dragon Quest games, but I would hope they have that value. Sonic 2-S&Knuckles will always be magical. And Streets of Rage 2 is my go-to game whenever I have someone over who wants to play a game but I know isn't skilled at more complex real time competitive games.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FF9, Lost Odyssey, Dark Souls, Red Dead Redemption. This aren't all of them, just the ones I can remember, but I will always come back to these games.

Legend of Dragoon was the first epic RPG I ever played, and I adore that game to this day. I'll always be up for a round of that.

The Pokemon series was all the rage when I was a kid. I've only played the first two generations, but those games are awesome, and I can always play those.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

In no particular order:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening, Skyward Sword - Majora's Mask being one of the first video games I ever felt an emotional attachment and cared for the story of it's individual characters. Link's Awakening is beautiful and hugely underrated. Skyward Sword was everything I wanted it to be - well aside from a stupid save system.

2. Pokémon Silver - Night and Day - Mind = Blown

3. Sonic 3 & Knuckles - I was a huge Sonic fangirl back in the day but this was by far my favourite because Knuckles was a baws

4. Final Fantasy VII, IX and X - Played FFVII not long after my parents got divorced, a lot of things really hit home with it. I loved IX's quaintness and traditional feeling. X gets a lot of flack but I genuinely cried at parts of it.

5. Silent Hill 2 - first "horror" game I tried playing at night, alone, with the lights off. Of all places in the underground prison/torture chambers bit. Never. Again.

6. Deus Ex, Deus Ex Human Revolution = First one was Amazing, Human Revolution had it's flaws (especially the endings) but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

7. Fable 2

8. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - The ending. The ending... wtf... the ending.

9. Goldeneye - My first real introduction to FPS games as my PC at the time had issues running DOOM, let alone Quake or Unreal.

10. TimeSplitters (all of them) - Made by the same people. Lots of drunken evenings during college and university were had!

11. World of Warcraft - 8 years on. Still playing it. Landed me my first "proper" job too.

12. F.E.A.R. - Whilst looking back this was remarkably gimmicky it genuinely scared me.

13. Tales of Symphonia - Don't know what it was about this game, just something made me want to keep playing.

14. Super Metroid, Metroid Prime - Masterpieces in their own regards.

15. Soul Blade - Most complete Beat 'Em Up game ever.

16. Micro Machines Turbo Challenge '96 - dat track maker

17. Streets of Rage - this

18. Tetris - This should be on every hall of fame list, ever

19. Kingdom Hearts II - I loved the first one, I loved this even more

20. The World Ends With You - This game was so special, such quirkness, such a story and such relatable characters accompanied with an awesome soundtrack

21. Resident Evil 2 - Claire Redfield, friendsis 4lyfe

There's probably a few more that should be on there just for the sheer amount of laughs I had playing them with friends - things like Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Borderlands, International Track & Field etc