Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best environment?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Best environment?

I could just be biased, as Final Fantasy X was my first in the series (far from my favorite, but it still counts for something), I always felt that the tropical, water based setting was my favorite. It wasn't just the geology either, I liked the interior designs of buildings and the like. The closest I think I've been to finding a game that reminds me of FFX would be Chrono Cross (where the title screen is literally underwater, and I think it uses the same boot up noise when you press start too).

Anyway, discuss the Environment of Spira, and how awesome _or lame you think it is.
    Returners Represent!

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Edge7 View Post
    I could just be biased, as Final Fantasy X was my first in the series (far from my favorite, but it still counts for something), I always felt that the tropical, water based setting was my favorite. It wasn't just the geology either, I liked the interior designs of buildings and the like. The closest I think I've been to finding a game that reminds me of FFX would be Chrono Cross (where the title screen is literally underwater, and I think it uses the same boot up noise when you press start too).

Anyway, discuss the Environment of Spira, and how awesome _or lame you think it is.
    That game was so colorful (at the time) for its time. And had great vistas, it was one of the best "worlds" from an environmental stand point. The only thing lacking is a real big city.

I always liked the environments in ff 10. The city of luna I thought was cool. I remember just walking around certain areas and was like wow. The tropical islands where my favorite and seeing the waves and they almost at times looked real. I would have to agree with you ff 10 had some great locations.

Even though I haven't played FFX (though I've watched 35 parts of a playthrough of it. I think it was from NintenCapriSun or something), I must say that I really like the setting for FFX. It takes the "modern and ancient" theme that other FFs have and brings a whole new twist to it. The world of Spira is so colourful and lively compared to the dull-coloured medievil settings of other FFs. I especially like how nature is used a lot in the settings and backdrops.

I always liked the settings as well, even though I hated (and still hate for that matter) navigating Guadosalam. The Thunder Plains with the music is probably my favorite place in this game, if only for the fact that it really does feel desolate and it does feel empty and that there are storms everywhere.

Rikku being afraid as well was a really nice touch, and it felt so...real. Even for a PS2 game.

I also agree with Evasto on how nature is mixed in with the civilization to make the world backdrop. It kinda does remind me of Gardinia in Final Fantasy XIV as well...
    I only want your happiness...even if I may never be yours to share it.

Would have been even better with a world map.
    ohno.

Quote Originally Posted by pederloo View Post
    Disagreed. FFX is the prime example of a journey concept brought to life with perfect pacing. The reason a 'world map' was added in past games was to be able to travel disproportionally large distances in shorter time. Mostly due to limited memory space and console power. With FFX, there was enough power to make the entire pilgrimage from Besaid to Zanarkand without an out of place world map. To me it makes the world immersive and grand; you are a tiny human and you will walk along roads and paths, like any other human would do when travelling long distances. Especially since technology isn't available to make new roads and such. It fits the theme perfectly. You can walk the entire way from Besaid to Zanarkand essentially without interruptions and that is quite an accomplishment.

Alright, back on topic. Words can hardly describe just how detailed and wonderful the art direction and environments are. Spira has been my favorite video game world for years. I love the tropic environments, the lack of technology, the architecture, ruined Zanarkand, cold Gagazet, and most of all: the constant threat that is Sin, making everyone appreciate both life and death.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I smurfing love Besaid and Kilika. Those tropical settings feel very warm and welcoming to me! The environments throughout X are actually superb. They don't blend as well as I would like but that's not a detraction from the individual quality.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

Spira is a beautiful place, but I must admit that I love the hand drawn backgrounds of FFVIII and FFIX. They looked absolutely stunning. I do however love Spira. It's beautiful.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Disagreed. FFX is the prime example of a journey concept brought to life with perfect pacing. The reason a 'world map' was added in past games was to be able to travel disproportionally large distances in shorter time. Mostly due to limited memory space and console power. With FFX, there was enough power to make the entire pilgrimage from Besaid to Zanarkand without an out of place world map. To me it makes the world immersive and grand; you are a tiny human and you will walk along roads and paths, like any other human would do when travelling long distances. Especially since technology isn't available to make new roads and such. It fits the theme perfectly. You can walk the entire way from Besaid to Zanarkand essentially without interruptions and that is quite an accomplishment.

Alright, back on topic. Words can hardly describe just how detailed and wonderful the art direction and environments are. Spira has been my favorite video game world for years. I love the tropic environments, the lack of technology, the architecture, ruined Zanarkand, cold Gagazet, and most of all: the constant threat that is Sin, making everyone appreciate both life and death.
    Kind of off topic a little--there's something to be said for the sheer awesomeness of cruising around in a ship or an airship and seeing some cave, island, or anomaly you can't reach until later!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post

This pretty much sums it up for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I smurfing love Besaid and Kilika. Those tropical settings feel very warm and welcoming to me! The environments throughout X are actually superb. They don't blend as well as I would like but that's not a detraction from the individual quality.
    If I had to choose, I'd like to live in Besaid. And on the other end of the temperature spectrum, I could do Macalania.
    Pray to Yu Yevon. Dream, fayth. Forever and ever, grant us prosperity.

Articles

Tifa's boobs is right on. FFX would be pretty cool if they added the ability to fly around yourself in the airship, and find those hidden locations instead of inputting coordinates or scanning for them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I loved the environments of FFX, everything seemed to have so much detail, from the ambient lighting in the Thunder Plains to the slight eerieness of the temples, especially Macalania temple.

The only fault I could see with X in terms of environment is two things, first, Spira is incredibly linear, it's essentially a South to North Pilgrimage. Also, most areas are quite badly transitioned. You have the Moonflow and Guadosalam, which is full of woodland, then the desolate thunder plains, followed by the icy Macalania, then out towards the temperate Calm Lands.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I loved the environments of FFX, everything seemed to have so much detail, from the ambient lighting in the Thunder Plains to the slight eerieness of the temples, especially Macalania temple.

The only fault I could see with X in terms of environment is two things, first, Spira is incredibly linear, it's essentially a South to North Pilgrimage. Also, most areas are quite badly transitioned. You have the Moonflow and Guadosalam, which is full of woodland, then the desolate thunder plains, followed by the icy Macalania, then out towards the temperate Calm Lands.
    I agree with this. Though the world is beautiful and has an interesting concept, I would appreciate it much more if it were as large and felt as alive as XII's Ivalice. This seems more like a scenery in a theater rather than a real world. It's beautiful, but it still seems artificial.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    I agree with this. Though the world is beautiful and has an interesting concept, I would appreciate it much more if it were as large and felt as alive as XII's Ivalice. This seems more like a scenery in a theater rather than a real world. It's beautiful, but it still seems artificial.
    What made Ivalice's world so amazing was that you truly went EVERYWHERE. You went west, south, north and east. Each area seems to transition fairly well compared to X's rather unrealistic map transitions. Also, Ivalice was incredibly diverse, you had snow storms, deserts, tombs, waterways, towns and cities (not many of those in X). Ivalice had it all.