Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: American Horror Story: Asylum [Spoilers inside!]

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Braaaaaains American Horror Story: Asylum [Spoilers inside!]

Tonight is the season two premier of American Horror Story. Instead of following a chronological story, they have decided to make an anthology instead.

Quote Originally Posted by FX
    Set in 1964, American Horror Story: Asylum takes us into a Church-run haven for the criminally insane, ruled with an iron fist by Sister Jude (Jessica Lange), a nun with a troubled past. Inside this locked down facility, danger lurks around every corner. From Nazis and serial killers, to mutants and aliens, no one is safe inside these walls. Starring Jessica Lange as “Sister Jude”, Sarah Paulson as “Lana Winters”, James Cromwell as “Dr. Arthur Arden,” Evan Peters as “Kit Walker,” Lily Rabe as “Sister Mary Eunice,” Lizzie Brocheré as “Grace,” Zachary Quinto as “Dr. Oliver Thredson,” and Joseph Fiennes as “Monsignor Timothy Howard.” Guest stars for the miniseries will include Frances Conroy, Chloe Sevigny, Adam Levine and Mark Consuelos.
    Does anyone else watch this show/excited for the premier? What are your thoughts on the changes in the show, and only two of the original cast returning? What do you think about this season's theme?

Discuss!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I'm glad they didn't continue with the same story. Horror is a genre that doesn't really work with stories that continue indefinitely. Takes away a good deal of suspense. That said, I do like the show well enough and will be watching the second season.

Looks pretty insane. I'll watch just to see if they pull off that crazy creepy crap that they did in the first season.

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

So I didn't have to watch the first season to see this one? Good, because I love this kind of trout.

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So aliens and crazy Frankenstein monsters!

I'm curious to see what they're doing with this alien plot. They took what they did last season, and got even mooooore freaky.

It was cool to see the returning actors in this episode:
    The kid who played Tate is playing Kit this season
    The woman who played the wife of the mad doctor is playing a nun this season
    The woman who played the medium is playing the lesbian this season
    And of course Jessica Lange. :3 I love her.

EDIT: Pitye--no, you don't have to watch last season to understand this season. But it would be fun, if only because it's cool picking out the new characters. And you have a different bond with them, because of the characters they were last season (even though they're completely unrelated.) Also, if you like horror, you should definitely watch the first season anyways. It's an AMAZING season of television, and there are only 13 1-hour episodes.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I was confused when I first saw this because they had 2 of the same actors from last season in this one and I was thinking for a while if this was continuing where the last season ended. I like how they're using an asylum this time around. It reminds me of Batman.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    EDIT: Pitye--no, you don't have to watch last season to understand this season. But it would be fun, if only because it's cool picking out the new characters. And you have a different bond with them, because of the characters they were last season (even though they're completely unrelated.) Also, if you like horror, you should definitely watch the first season anyways. It's an AMAZING season of television, and there are only 13 1-hour episodes.
    I love horror! I just haven't had time since I concentrated on other shows, but since some of my shows are either off-season or delayed (coughCommunitycough), then I'll check out the first one.

I did see this new episode, though. Hooked now. ;o

Blog Entries

I really enjoyed that first episode. It's over-the-top, but in a pleasant way.

That chick in the beginning was so damn hot. God. Also wtf at dirty nun thoughts!? That's just wrong. And so the kid got like anal probed by little green men. At least we've established complete absurdity in the first 10 min haha

Overall looks to be pretty disturbing. You've gotta be pretty messed up to like this. That said I'll watch it just to see how far they'll go

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I was very surprised seeing Adam Levine in the Season 2 premiere. O_o

Also, I'm finally watching the first season of this show. I'm about halfway through now. It's a pretty intriguing show.

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I watched it with Nikki on the premier, we haven't seen season one but really like the show thus far. The plot seems to be one that will unravel slowly, but enjoyably so, and the characters really have great dialogue and motivations. 9/10

Also, Adam Lavigne humping a hooker/on-show wife was a pretty hilarious opening imo.

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Will--if the first season is anything to go by, the story as a whole unravels slowly. But every episode you get a reveal, and a piece of the story. Since FX only does 13-episode seasons, they don't have time for filler episodes. Which is probably part of the reason I love this show so much. You never feel like you're wasting time by watching it, or they're pulling you along. If you and Nikki have any way to download the show or get a hold of the first season on DVD, I highly recommend it.

Pitye--it only gets better and better, I promise.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Welp. I marathoned through the season and I was satisfied. I am fan now.

Now to wait on the next episode...

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was pleasantly surprised with the premier of season two. I latched onto the first one so much and wanted to know more and more and loved everything in general, but I suppose it was best that they quit while they were ahead. I was severely opposed to the thought of different stories and settings for each season but now I think it an work. Like Rantz said, it's hard to make horror stories continue indefinitely.

I've always had a soft spot for asylum horror and there's sooo much they can do with the page they've painted so far. I've been racking my brain trying to think of what hospital they are perhaps using the setting as or that they have this asylum loosely based around. Joseph Fiennes' character mentioned something about tuburculosis and they specifically mentioned the death chutes, so Waverly Hills Sanatorium is the first one that comes to mind for me.

I do love seeing members of the old cast (all of my favorites) reappearing. These boys know how to make horror work and I adore everything. I'm absolutely intrigued and look forward to the rest of the episodes and I think it'll live up to the expectations that season one set for me.
    Last edited by Shorty; 10-23-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Shorty--I felt the same way. When I first heard they were doing an anthology, and not a continuation, I was peeved! But I too, love asylum horror, so I've grown to the idea. And you're right--they've set a good stage for themselves.

This is just me, but I'd love in the next season or three to see them do something with carnival horror.

My mom told me she read in an interview with Jessica Lange that she wasn't going to come back this season, but they asked her to read the script before she made a final decision, and that she said the writing was too good to pass up. So I hope it lives up to its potential!