Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Question The Staff

Freya works at Gamestop (the nerd's dream).
    Any nerd who dreams of working at Gamestop needs serious help.

Whose dick do I have to suck to get some fake internet power?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Hey alex, don't be a dick.

Also working at gamestop does blows just fyi. But I know a lot about gaming if you're curious.....

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

What is the closest I've been to getting banned?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    What is the closest I've been to getting banned?
    I want to know this too.

Also, why is my name table leg?

And why have I been getting new names every week or so?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly though, honestly. Don't you miss some of the crazy drama shenanigans certain EoFFers used to bring into the mix?

When was the last time you had 50 pages of discussion on whether to ban someone or not?

Also, out of the EoFF populace, who would you smurf/marry/kill?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

We have 100 pages about banning people but most the time it ends up discussing things like "why are there 100 pages already for you? you must have it at like 10 posts per page, loser. 30/50/100/1000 posts is the RIGHT amount"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Am I not the best goddamn thing this site's ever seen?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    We have 100 pages about banning people but most the time it ends up discussing things like "why are there 100 pages already for you? you must have it at like 10 posts per page, loser. 30/50/100/1000 posts is the RIGHT amount"
    I know, but when was the last time?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Formalhaut: The most common method of contact with Square-Enix is email for anything official, although we can chat with one of the North American reps, too. Personally, I have also contacted them through Twitter.

Nightsintodreams: Outside of Final Fantasy VII, Uncharted 2 is probably my favourite game.

Denny: I hope they don't go back to making SNES games because I don't have one.

Lone Wolf: Pretty sure the Chrono Trigger/Cross forum was dead when we closed it down. Very dead. As for non-FF games being FF games, I don't think it makes any difference - a name is just a name. I suppose it would mean they have chocobos etc, but that's not a big deal for me. Lost Odyssey was a very good game but I personally am happy for there to be more than just one company churning out high quality JRPG's.

pr00t: What do you mean by a panel? >_*

Evastio: I don't think so. It was a long time back... at the time I was promoted nobody really showed any major change of opinion that I can remember.

Denny (again): So we can get in the way.

Unne: Are you Raistlin in disguise. >=[

Cloudane: No, because I made it clear that I can answer them however I like. Perhaps every answer has been a lie. Every answer...

Raist: Back in the early days of EoFF, a member named Wes (I forget his username, he was kind of unimportant really) went around showing off how much he seriously sucked. He was an expert at sucking. He showed the rest of staff how to suck. Since then, the methods of sucking have been passed on through the generations of staff. Sadly, we no longer have the perfect sucker amongst our staff since Wes stepped down, so our sucking isn't anything close to how much he sucked. But we try. As for your other questions - I think the frontsite is far more important to the non-frontsite staff than ever before, and more forums staff take an active interest in it than anytime I can remember in the past ten or so years I've been on staff. As for the news, it sounds like the news is slow at the moment going by what you said, but the editors are not there to merely generate news but also to promote news that has been found within other posts at EoFF. So they're still doing their job, last I checked. Finally, your mum ate the pie.

rubah: Psychotic, absolutely without doubt. Such a massive jerky jerk jerkface.

opn184: I manage the IT hardware at AEGON. I work for Computacenter who is contracted by them. I'm also heavily involved in other various things that relate to hardware, such as projects, mass-moves, reporting, billing, etc. It's an okay job, although it's more one I got put into than one that my skils are suited to (which is project management, luckily I still get to do a fair bit of this). And yeah, I go through each post to keep track of the tasks.

Bunny: Probably the owners, although I'm not sure they're into that sort of thing.

Mirage: I honestly don't know if you've been that close, to be honest... but then you've been around for a long time, so perhaps there's a thread from way back that I'm forgetting or something.

table leg: I don't know (x3).

Miriel: Only the funny ones that weren't all that serious. Oh, and picking who to Knight. That was always fun drama for me. As for 50 pages, I don't think we've gotten remotely close to that for anyone in a long time. Although I don't think we could reveal specifics on it anyway... Finally, smitten/smitten/smitten, depending on what kind of mood she's in. xD

Laddy: Ack, how to break this to you lightly...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsintodreams View Post
    What video game (non-Square-Enix) is your favorite?

Come on, there has to be one! Or three...
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is easily my favorite non-RPG Video Game of all time.
    I also love Suikoden and Breath of Fire, as well as Monolith Soft's Xeno series.

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post

When will gaming companies realize that two-dimensional games were the peak of quality and go back to making games for the SNES? Mine's been sitting here without any new games for 16 years
    Well they do make SNES quality games but they have to release them as Digital Downloads because the SNES has become too awesome to be able to carry any more games than the ones released in their era. I mean seriously, Squenix tried to put Final Fantasy Dimensions on the SNES and the entire staff was shifted into a higher dimension to speak with gods and demons and kick their ass at Street Fighter II Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Question 1: Why exactly was the Chrono Trigger part of the forum closed? I could be wrong, but it seemed like there was enough activity there to not relegate it to the general square enix section.
    I still bug staff about this occasionally, especially since it was actually getting a ton of activity at the time it was killed. I still hope to make a Chrono forum again. Maybe if that rumor of Squenix doing Chrono 3 pans out...

Question 2: Is there an RPG out there that you wish was a Final Fantasy game? For example, some people have said that they thought Lost Odyssey for the 360 was everything they wished Final Fantasy 13 could have been.
    The three that come to mind are Xenogears, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Vagrant Story, I wish all three had been a numbered entry, if it had better writing and a more involving battle system, I could be talked into DQVIII as well. For non Square-Enix, I would say Xenoblade Chronicles really deserved to be the successor to FFXII instead of XIII.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    Would EoFF host a panel of any kind at a convention in the future?
    Technically, I could probably set one up for the convention I usually attend but it's pretty low key so I doubt we would get much of an impact, but I think you've got Gobo's little Chocobo running on it's wheel in his brain...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post

Yet another question. Do you regret the idea of being asked questions yet?
    I just started actually answering them, so no I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    1. How is it possible that all of you suck so very much? Does Shlup teach classes?
    You seriously don't want me to answer this question.

2. Do you think the frontsite is considered a priority by the forums staff? What, if anything, do you think could be improved?
    We're working on it and I feel we've made pretty great strides considering what it was like when I first became a CK, but as with all processes, it can definetly be better and we've got some really talented people working on some cool ideas.

3. Eliminating forums announcements, by my count 5 staffers have made news or original content updates to the fronstsite in the last 5 pages of articles (roughly one month), only 2 of them more than twice (Jiro and Psychotic, to give appropriate kudos). Do you consider this a problem?
    Hey now, I'm starting to step up my game and I do have some articles in the backburner, it's just... well I'm long winded and I have to figure out how to make a 20 page manifesto readable for more than five of you.

4. Where is the goddamn pie? I was promised pie.
    Shut your pie hole.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by opn184 View Post
    A part from being a staff member on EoFF, what do you guys do? Are you plumber, electrician, IT administration... bus driver...? etc. (just thinking of random things on the top of my head)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Goldenboko does some coding or something and makes some ridiculous wage for a college student. Wage I wish I had when I was in college.
    Sustaining Software engineer. I pretty much fix bugs in the internet. 6 months doing that, then 6 months of classes, then back to working. What what. Shiny if it makes you feel better even if I make a lot my college is one of the most expensive in the country anyway so I don't keep any of it

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    pr00t: What do you mean by a panel? >_*
    Pulling that Mikztsu smiley, eh?

Seeing that I'm not an expert on panel hosting, I found a post on some other forum that explains how to make a great panel, so... make the best of it?

(SPOILER)
    First off, the original post says to credit Katrina Lynn, so credit goes where it's due.

Source

1. Determine your audience. Now that you've chosen what you want to talk about, you need to figure out who might be interested in that subject. Will it be just about everyone at the con? An older crowd? A scientific crowd? Very loud fangirls? Even though this is the first step, often you can't judge exactly who will come to your panel. It may end up scheduled at a bad time (i.e. opposite the masquerade or early on Sunday morning), or the fans of that particular show are less concentrated where you're going than where you came from. Still, this is an important step and will help you decide what to do for step 2.

2. Choose a format. There are five basic formats for panels, but there are many variations on each format.
    1.) The Presentation: the Presentation format is best used to teach people about something they probably don't know a lot about. It works quite well for visual media (i.e. series specific panels) or historical and scientific topics. Often presentations are aided by PowerPoint, which can add a layer of visual interest. A good non-PowerPoint presentation might be something where you talk about a scientific topic and have a panel of experts.
    2.) Demo or Workshop: this can be a variation on the Presentation format, but it usually includes some hands on portion. This is a format used to teach people how to DO something. It's best used to teach sewing panels, makeup panels, or crafts of some sort. You can also do a workshop on kimono dressing, music, or another hands-on activity.
    3.) Roundtable Discussion: this is probably the most common panel format at science fiction conventions. A Roundtable makes everyone a panelist. The people running the panel usually prepare in advance some topics to get the discussion going and moderate the discussion by calling on people or putting in their two cents, but everyone talks together about the topic. This is a good format for "FIAWOL" panels, or "Fandom is a way of life" panels, discussions on topics ranging from how to run a con masquerade to getting weird stares in public. These can be very fun late-night panels, and the panelist is responsible for getting the audience to open up.
    4.) Q&A: the Q&A format is usually reserved for guests of honor, but sometimes professionals in a field will run them as well. This is a good format for professional writers or costumers to just answer people's questions. Another common panel done in this style is the Masquerade Show & Tell on Sunday of many cons.
    5.) Games: a format that is becoming increasingly popular is the game panel. These are not huge game shows like the staff of a convention might run but maybe a trivia game on a specific series or a children's game adapted to the convention format. This is good for series specific panels where everyone has already seen the series (i.e. Death Note) or used as a portion of a panel to break the ice (i.e. a "True or False" game to open a drawing panel).

3. Create a presentation. Now that you've figured out what format you're going to use, you need to figure out what exactly you want to say. I should hope that you're passionate about your topic enough to do a little research because the best panels are ones that aren't done on the fly (although sometimes it works out that way). If you're making a PowerPoint, try to balance your text with visuals. In fact, no text on the screen (or very little) and just a note sheet for you is the best way to go. Sometimes I've tried too hard to make a presentation too informative. Remember that you're presenting to people who are at a convention. They're probably a little tired and hyper, and very likely they don't have an attention span more than a few minutes. If you want to teach about how to use patterns, for example, don't pick the British military uniform. Opt for a simple skirt so that you don't do the same thing over and over. Prepare a list of things you want to talk about if you don't have a PowerPoint.

4. Practice your presentation. Talk to your mirror. Are you boring yourself? Tell a friend about the presentation (especially someone who doesn't know the topic). Does he/she seem interested? Get your pronunciation as right as possible. Yes, we all fumble over words with more than three syllables sometimes, but if you repeatedly butcher words important to your topic, you're teaching your audience wrong. This is especially important for panels about Japanese culture. It's a "wah-kee-zah-shee" not a "wacky-zachi".

5. Prepare a contingency plan. Things go wrong. The projector they promised you isn't there. They have the wrong cable for your laptop. You got moved to a tiny room at the last minute. Anything can happen. You can't prepare for everything, but try to make it so that some things work in your favor. We now take a projector with us when we run panels, just in case. We ask ahead of time if there is Internet when we want to present videos from YouTube. We bring extra presentations in case ours just won't work at all (and this has happened!). Prepare what you will do if no one shows up to your panel. Will you try to lure people in with candy (it works!)? Will you cancel it? Always go to your panel room 15 minutes early, especially if you have A/V you need to set up. If no one is still presenting, then you can start setting up and be ready when your panel is supposed to begin. Be prepared to ask the panelist before you to leave when they're going over time.

A few other important things to remember:

Have some respect for your topic. Don't keep saying how stupid it is or mocking the characters. A little bit of teasing on popular shows is fine, but your audience is there to learn and/or talk about something they LIKE. Insulting it is not a good way to keep an audience. If you don't like it, please don't try to run a panel on it.
    Don't make it about you. So what if they didn't have the cable you wanted for your laptop (if you have a Mac, by the way, bring your own VGA adaptor because NO ONE has all six or seven of the adaptors needed to run any Mac)? Who cares about your boyfriend or how many times you've met Vic Mignogna? Unless you did something really cool (often something that makes you guest of honor worthy), you probably shouldn't talk about YOU.
    Talk loudly or use a microphone. Unless you're in a very small circle talking during your panel, not everyone can hear you.
    Don't just have a "shout out your favorites" panel. Sometimes it's fun to have a panel where you all say what your favorite ____ is, but many audiences are bored to tears if all you're doing is saying what your favorite ___ is for an hour.
    Stay on topic. Try to keep the panel on topic. Fend off panel pirates who come for the sole purpose of turning the discussion to their favorite subject.
    Don't be rude to your audience. If someone leaves, don't yell at them or accuse them of being mean. People leave panels. It could be the topic. It could be your presentation. It could be that they had a ten-minute break before what they really wanted to do and wandered in. That's how cons work.

If you follow all or most of these instructions, you'll be well on your way to having great panels all the time! As always, the most important thing is to PREPARE!

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Blog Entries

Who's your favourite ninja turtle? I don't actually care though.

there was a picture here

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by opn184 View Post
    A part from being a staff member on EoFF, what do you guys do? Are you plumber, electrician, IT administration... bus driver...? etc. (just thinking of random things on the top of my head)
    Chartered Accountant. In the process of figuring out how I'm going to go back to school next fall to do a Computer Science degree though.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Who's your favourite ninja turtle? I don't actually care though.
    I do care and the correct answer is Michelangelo.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    Pulling that Mikztsu smiley, eh?
    Wow, that's a name from the past.

Can someone summarize this entire thread up to this point for me?
    Figaro Castle