Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time Travel in Video Games

Articles
    Blog Entries

Radiant Historia's supposed to be a modern classic among RPGs.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of the Ages for the Game Boy Color is arguably the best puzzle-using game in the series and is a pretty fantastic title.

I don't know if Japan "makes" awesome time travel games as a rule, but sure has produced a number of unforgettable classics.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Bolivar made me think.

Ocarina of Time could technically be considered a time travel game, yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes, and so would Majora's Mask, moreso than OoT, because of the limit of three days in the game, traveling back in time is a must if you intend to complete the game.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    More games need to have time travel as a theme.
    I cannot disagree with the statement enough; time travel, as a plot device, is too often poorly done leading to ridiculous deus ex machinas or extreme suspensions of logical thought. I'd rather fewer games engaged in time travel but did it well than have it be widespread and more often than not awful.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned: Shadow of Memories (Destiny in the US), for the PS2.

Yeah it might be more of an interactive story than a game, but it's so underrated, and the graphics were awesome for the time. It is pretty much all about time travel, and there are so many ways you can expand the story by making different choices when you travel through time.

Sequel please!

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Zelda: Majora's Mask is the answer.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages and (to a lesser extent) Ocarina of Time all did time travel reasonably well.

The only other series of games that immediately came to my mind was Timesplitters, which was an entertaining series of shoot 'em ups which had levels set in different time periods past and future. Admittedly, with TS it was more a case of the level themes and designs rather than the gameplay. I thought it was a rather nice twist on the standard FPS game though.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    The only other series of games that immediately came to my mind was Timesplitters, which was an entertaining series of shoot 'em ups which had levels set in different time periods past and future. Admittedly, with TS it was more a case of the level themes and designs rather than the gameplay. I thought it was a rather nice twist on the standard FPS game though.
    Was coming here to start swearing and calling everybody a failure at life for no mention of TS. Thank you.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Zelda: Majora's Mask is the answer.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It wasn't a HUGE deal, but the time travel angle in part of Dragon Quest V was very cool to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ Yes, that was very well done and one of the many moments that made that game so special!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't think there's any game out there that dealt better with time as a story as well as a gameplay concept than Majora's Mask. The continuing threat of the moon getting closer and closer, the people going about with their daily lives (which, of course, are the same every cycle) until they finally notice the impending doom on the third day, Link slowing and speeding up time and going back and forth, the weird mask salesman who seems to exist outside of the whole system, and getting smurfed by the retarded save system that erases your saves at owl statues after loading them up again.
    If there's one thing this game taught us, it's that time travel is creepy in a very intriguing way.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Was coming here to start swearing and calling everybody a failure at life for no mention of TS. Thank you.

That list mentions Ephemeral Fantasia... except it lists it as Ephemeral Phantasia. It's supposed to be spelled with an 'f', it's not Ephemeral Phantasy Star. idiots
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The Prince of Persia games were ok with it. As a gameplay element it was great.

Also I'll mention Majora's Mask along with everyone else. Ocarina of Time had some of it too with traveling 7 years into the future, then back again for certain events, and you also had the Sun's Song which sped up time.