Thread: Two MMO's in the main series....slight rant/concern

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love it how people attach some ideologies to companies whose ultimate goal will always be to make more money.

On topic: I don't mind. XI was cool when I played it for 2 weeks. One of the better MMOs that I have played, if not the best.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love how pissy everybody's getting over the fact that certain people categorise things in different ways.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

How do you mean, Quin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    I love how pissy everybody's getting over the fact that certain people categorise things in different ways.
    Don't get me wrong, I can sympathize with people who want to be able to say that they've played every numbered installment of the Final Fantasy series, and I appreciate that two of those titles being online games with monthly fees makes that a difficult thing to accomplish. The introduction of achievements tells us something about some common personality traits of "hardcore" gamers, notably the compulsion to complete things.

That said. Square Enix made an MMORPG a decade ago. The streak is long broken, and it's just obnoxious that after all this time people can't just move the hell on.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That wasn't my point. My point was that, other than the op, nobody gave any indication that they're in any way butthurt about the inclusion of MMOs. This is a discussion about whether you sort your DVDs alphabetically or by genre, and having any kind of strong opinion on it is hilariously ridiculous. xD

That wasn't my point. My point was that, other than the op, nobody gave any indication that they're in any way butthurt about the inclusion of MMOs. This is a discussion about whether you sort your DVDs alphabetically or by genre, and having any kind of strong opinion on it is hilariously ridiculous. xD
    Yeah I used to be one of those guys. The ones that complained that FFXI and FFXIV shouldn't be numbered entries in the series. I mean plenty of franchises have MMO spin-offs, but its always "World of Warcraft" or "________ ONLINE". Both XI and XIV have the words ONLINE on the cover too, but they went the extra step of including those games in the mainstay series. In the end, I just didn't care as much as I thought I did. Both games have the stellar production values we expect from Final Fantasy games and XI still has one of the best story in the series.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Firstly, it's not complaining. Secondly, it's not a matter of quality. I'll expand on the example and hope you understand.

When I sort my DVDs, I put them in Film and TV sections, then sort them alphabetically. The numbered FFs would be TV series, whereas the MMOs are films. That's the only issue I take with having the MMOs as part of the standard numbered series; it doesn't conform to my rules of categorisation. xD

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

But you're not the one who chose whether it was a numbered title or not. I'm just flabbergasted that after ten years, people still can't just get past that it was done differently than they would have liked.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

When I sort my DVDs, I put them in Film and TV sections, then sort them alphabetically. The numbered FFs would be TV series, whereas the MMOs are films. That's the only issue I take with having the MMOs as part of the standard numbered series; it doesn't conform to my rules of categorisation. xD
    You mix your games in with your TV and movie DVDs? It sounds like you have deeper problems than how SE labels their games...

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    But you're not the one who chose whether it was a numbered title or not. I'm just flabbergasted that after ten years, people still can't just get past that it was done differently than they would have liked.
    You're putting way more emotion into it than there actually is, man. xD

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Not so much emotion as it is general contempt for this reoccurring complaint.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think even SE regrets putting this 2nd MMORPG in their main numbered lineup. Whose smart idea was it to put a totally unfinished train wreck of a product out as one of the main entries in the Final Fantasy series? So silly.

That being said, I wouldn't have a problem if SE decided to separate their MMORPGs from the numbered lineup, or if they continued to add more. I don't really care either way. Although I do hope that they would put more effort into putting out a quality product in general.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I wonder how long they will continue to keep up the Final Fantasy XI servers? I mean, ten years is a long time for any online game. What will they do when the subscription counts decline? Maybe they could make an offline version over a decade after fans first requested it.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I understand where people are coming from with the idea that Final Fantasy XI should not have been a main instalment, instead serving as a spinoff like so many other games. I get that. Zach is right, however, in that it was ten smurfing years ago and that nobody should really be upset about it. I don't know if anybody in this thread is legitimately annoyed at the inclusion, I read the thread this morning and forget most of the posts

What I will say is this: Final Fantasy is a series all about innovation. You can point at any two Final Fantasy games and see similarities and differences. I think it is a testament to the series to see that it can be so diverse within its "main" games. Also, consider the fact that the beloved title Final Fantasy IX was originally slated to be a spinoff itself.

Final Fantasy XIV is another attempt at doing something new in the series and I support its inclusion (as well as its predecessor's) in the main series wholeheartedly, despite the chance I will never play it. At the end of the day though, the real question we should be asking is: Why the smurf do we suddenly have sequels out the wazoo?

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

$$$$$

Next question.