Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default I'm so exited, I just can't hide it

In yet another example of poor translation (c'mon people you can do better than this), Cait Sith pre-empts his own death by saying he's "exited" instead of "excited". Why he would've been excited in the first place, I'll never know. Perhaps he thought his "heroic sacrifice" would be impressive and win the team over (it worked). Cait Sith 2.0 didn't seem all that different though.

Attachment 37586

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My favourite part was how Cait Sith asks you to "never forget him" or something like that, and then immediately after a new Cait Sith appears on the scene.

How did Cait Sith 2 get there so fast? And does Reeve just have all of the Cait Siths lying around in case one of them is destroyed? Why doesn't he just send a new Cait Sith every time he's KO'd in battle? Why am I supposed to mourn Cait Sith when Cait Sith 2 shows up right away, and is controlled by the exact same person?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Yeah I figure Reeve was way too prepared. Cait Sith 2.0 shouldn't have been there that soon. Making him an encounter shortly there after to return him to the party would've been much better. Also he briefly mentions that Cait Sith 2.0 won't be the same as him, but for all intents and purposes, he is. Some different quirks would've cemented him as a new (and better) character.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Man, Cait Sith is just the worst smurfing character.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I also have a problem because 2.0 appears in the middle of this pretty serious scene and it kind of took me out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Man, Cait Sith is just the worst smurfing character.
    Ya rly. Honestly wish he stayed dead.

Anyone else have to reread that like 3 times before they noticed? :x lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Why am I supposed to mourn Cait Sith when Cait Sith 2 shows up right away, and is controlled by the exact same person?
    Cait Sith's "sacrifice" was handled that way very intentionally. They ham up his death, only to make the drama pointless by immediately bringing him back; this was done in order to contrast with Aeris only a couple of scenes later. It makes quite a statement I think.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I like Cait Sith

I agree with what the others have said, I think that they deliberately made his death seem hammy because, let's face it, he's quite a goofy character anyway. And don't you pretend that your heart strings weren't being tugged at first time around, especially when the poor dear trips over ;_:

Quote Originally Posted by silentenigma View Post

Cait Sith's "sacrifice" was handled that way very intentionally. They ham up his death, only to make the drama pointless by immediately bringing him back; this was done in order to contrast with Aeris only a couple of scenes later. It makes quite a statement I think.
    Agree. They did it to make Aerith's death have a bigger impact and more shocking towards the player. To give that " Oh, of course Aerith is going to be saved by Cloud " ! " Wait... did...she... just get stabbed ..." ?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post

Agree. They did it to make Aerith's death have a bigger impact and more shocking towards the player. To give that " Oh, of course Aerith is going to be saved by Cloud " ! " Wait... did...she... just get stabbed ..." ?
    Also, since he can predict the future to some extent, and Aeris is always present in that scene, and the emotion starts when he is asked to predict her future...

Who says he's really saying goodbye because of "his" death?

I was watching a live speedrun of FF7 recently. They used Cait Sith's slots to one hit KO every boss. They managed to beat the game in about 8 hours or so. It was pretty good.
    Last edited by Innes; 11-24-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    яєρριη_мαη¢2k8
    [leeza]14 times over the 50 kb filesize limit. Yep. That's a record. Please read the sig restrictions posted above the sig field and PM a Knight/Admin if you do not understand them. ~ Leeza[/leeza]

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

His death was pretty touching, the music selection is excellent tbh. Master stroke, with the right balance of comedy to take the edge off. It really is the fake to make Aeris's death blindside you.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Why am I supposed to mourn Cait Sith when Cait Sith 2 shows up right away, and is controlled by the exact same person?
    I agree, I thought Cait Sith's "death scene" was great. The end is supposed to be a big and disconcerting anti-climax that is amusing in hindsight, and it is. The fake out is all the more impactful with Aerith's death so soon afterwards.

But yes, Reeve was a bit too well prepared for it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pretty much any scene involving Cait Sith I just switch off...

Did he die?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramisese Rububba the Third View Post
    Pretty much any scene involving Cait Sith I just switch off...

Did he die?
    No. He got in contact with ET and had strange alien babies with him.

Cait Sith isn't that bad of a character, he can be cute at times. Sometimes I feel like the fandom is way too hard on the fellow. His limit breaks are basically Setzer's I mean c'mon, isn't that sort of cool ?

Plus later on he saves everybody in Junon and who doesn't like a cat and who doesn't like a Moogle ? He does have some good qualities about him. I think the fandom treats Cait Sith like he murdered Cloud's Mother. Way too tough on him.