Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self-imposed Challenges

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Ditto the statement on no-kill MGS: I've played 1-3 without spilling any unnecessary blood. It's actually easier to stam-drain Vulcan Raven than it is to blow him away with Stingers. The encounter with The Sorrow is admittedly boring as all hell that way though.

I flipped my monitor display upside-down and played Mario 3 like that once. That was smurfin' hard!

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I only play pokemon in nuzlockes now. Normal play-throughs are way too damn easy.
    If I make a light-weight character on dark souls, he never uses a shield... period
    in FF12 I pick jobs for my characters and restrict their equipment use to reflect it.
    In ratchet and clank 2 and 3 I don't use armor anymore, I also don't use the quack-o-blitzer or rynos anymore. Makes it too easy.

I can't remember many other challenge runs I've done
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    You know, when I got hardcore into MGS playthroughs and going for 0 kill/0 alert games, I really began to question why they put the Tranquilizer Gun in the game, and I really can't understand why they did.
    this is NIGH IMPOSSIBLE to do in the first game on Hard mode (one of my self imposed challenges).
    Returners Represent!

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've done quite a few low level/starting equipment/crappy equipment runs in some of the older RPGs in my collection. I haven't really done anything like that in a while though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've considered doing the 3 heart challenge on OoT. Not sure how much of a challenge it'd be, though, as I hardly ever die in that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

when playing ffx-2 last time i gave myself a RULE to live by. I had to always wear the dressphere with lowest percentage complete. Stipulation: all three girls can't wear the same dressphere.

that was mostly to keep everyone from being songstresses at the same time. I'm indecisive so it was nice letting the game mechanics choose which dresspheres to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I've considered doing the 3 heart challenge on OoT. Not sure how much of a challenge it'd be, though, as I hardly ever die in that game.
    Try 3 Heart Master Quest. Enemies do double damage. So try not to get hit.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Try 3 Heart Master Quest. Enemies do double damage. So try not to get hit.
    Oh man that sounds brutal!
    I may eventually have to do this for TP down the road, WEARING ONLY ZORA ARMOR!
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Blog Entries

I finished Skyrim on level 1 but that was more due to intesne indecisiveness rather than desire for challenge
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Not too long ago, I did a version of the solo-pidgey challenge on Pokemon Crystal. I really like self-imposed challenges because I feel a greater sense of accomplishment when I complete the challenge than I would completing the normal in-game challenges.

Another thing I like to do in all my FF games and other RPG games is to grind until I've maxed out all my chacters' experience and max out my gil/money, among many other things. It makes me feel like I've completed the game to greater degree than just finishing the storyline.

In online shooter, like Halo, I like to use the weakest weapons possible during casual matches or sometimes go for all assassination kills.

By the way, has any tried the "Uber Challange" on OoT? I haven't tried it, but I'd really like to if I can get an N64 sometimes in the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MTKO View Post
    Not too long ago, I did a version of the solo-pidgey challenge on Pokemon Crystal. I really like self-imposed challenges because I feel a greater sense of accomplishment when I complete the challenge than I would completing the normal in-game challenges.

Another thing I like to do in all my FF games and other RPG games is to grind until I've maxed out all my chacters' experience and max out my gil/money, among many other things. It makes me feel like I've completed the game to greater degree than just finishing the storyline.

In online shooter, like Halo, I like to use the weakest weapons possible during casual matches or sometimes go for all assassination kills.

By the way, has any tried the "Uber Challange" on OoT? I haven't tried it, but I'd really like to if I can get an N64 sometimes in the future.
    The uber challenge doesn't even look fun at all. It just looks terribly frustrating. ._.
    I mean, I love me some restrictions, but looking through the rules it'd be faster just to list what you CAN do.
    I like the idea of a LoZ challenge run because it forces you to strategically use your giant arsenal of weapons and gadgets to survive. The uber challenge on the other hand is just so... masochistic.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just googled what Nuzlocking Pokemon meant. It seems fun! I agree with Bolivar though, call me pedantic, but I always try to get my pokemon within 2-3 levels of each other, which does include relatively useless pokemon, like Bidoof. I just like having all my pokemon available, rather than have a core team of six and having the rest rot in the PC.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Is the Uber Challenge WITHOUT some sort of cheating even possible?

Some of the things mentioned on the list are things that have to happen story-wise for you to even progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Is the Uber Challenge WITHOUT some sort of cheating even possible?

Some of the things mentioned on the list are things that have to happen story-wise for you to even progress.
    Some extremely difficult to perform in game glitches have to be used throughout the game in order to follow the uber challenge. Essentially, the point of the uber challenge is to not only to make the gameplay as difficult as possible, but also make the progression of the story a taxing procedure. There are some videos on youtube of people completing the challenge.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I used to play through games with certain self-imposed challenges if I enjoy the battle system.

Nowadays, I turn to the community of a game to give me Gameshark codes or other game editing codes to turn the game into more of a challenge. For example, preventing EXP gain except from bosses for Final Fantasy VII. That game is easy enough that you can still have a good time and see a lot more challenge from the bosses.
    I believe in the power of humanity.