Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Pink Grin Self-imposed Challenges

Do you like to do things in games that aren't really part of the game, just for an extra challenge? Make your character use terrible gear on purpose? Four White Mages? That sort of thing?

I like to do this sometimes. Especially in, uh, WoW I'll try to solo stuff and the like.

How about you?

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I tried the Nuzlocke Challenge for Pokemon Ruby. Didn't go very far with that, and I was pretty much. "smurf it, I'll just play like a normal person the rest of the game."

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles
    Blog Entries

All Druids on Might & Magic VI. Was not fun.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Get blackout drunk. Beat Mega Man 2.

I have done this more times that I am willing to admit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Do you like to do things in games that aren't really part of the game, just for an extra challenge? Make your character use terrible gear on purpose? Four White Mages? That sort of thing?
    All the time. Probably in every game I play :freak:

I typically spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to get a "perfect" game in most RPGs. I even tried a time attack on SotN with no armor, once. I got about four hours in and got my ass handed to me by Galamoth several times because I didn't have the Shield Rod I would have had to backtrack too much to get it and didn't want to start over so I gave up and I'm disappointed in myself about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    I tried the Nuzlocke Challenge for Pokemon Ruby. Didn't go very far with that, and I was pretty much. "smurf it, I'll just play like a normal person the rest of the game."
    I Nuzlocked Emerald and Crystal. They were enjoyable. Much more so than a regular game, because it makes it slightly challenging, whereas playing normally isn't difficult at all

I also tried using the randomizer mods (they change the Pokemon that appear in every area and the Pokemon that trainers have) and those were very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    All Druids on Might & Magic VI. Was not fun.
    ...NOPE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Get blackout drunk. Beat Mega Man 2.

I have done this more times that I am willing to admit.
    I play most Mega Man games better when drunk. Except for Megaman Legends, which is actually a complete mind-smurfing, rage-inducing experience when you're barely coherent.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

I rarely do, as I am too much of a completionist/perfectionist to restrict myself on most games.

One of the few I have done, though, and easily one of my most awesome gaming achievements ever, was beating Margaret in Persona 3 Portable with a party that consisted of just the main character. It took me ages, but it was worth it. That was one awesome and epic fight.

And I haven't found anyone else who has done it successfully, and of the few people who've tried it, none have used the strategy I built and honed for it. I'm very proud of it.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Maybe not necessarily challenges, but I have some weird OCD quirks that inhibit me when I play games:

I always try to keep my loadouts in Call of Duty with an equal distribution of the perks, weapon classes, and equipment in the games. It's great for experiencing the insane variety the games always have, but it means I'm only playing with my best personal playstyle only 1/5 of the time.

In Final Fantasy XII I've tried to stick close to some idea of jobs that I have in my head, some of the time at the expense of better configurations.

On one playthrough of pokemon I tried to generally keep all pokemon at the same level as I went... horrible idea.

I've always wanted to do a 'Fork & Knife Only' challenge in Metal Gear Solid 3, but never really got around to it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do it from time to time. I even try some of the built in challenges like Luck Mode in SotN (much harder than it sounds...) and I like to screw around a lot.

I've done no power-ups on Mario games, no boss weapons/special weapons on Mega Man games, I've played WRPGs with the intent of making my character like characters from other media such as my Venture Bros. Fallout 3 file.

Like Bolivar to some degree, I tend to stick to roles in my RPGs, I find making everyone into Red Mages sucks the fun out of games so I've become pretty obsessive about giving every character a purpose in games where I can make anyone into anything. It's usually more fun and makes the game more challenging.

I've also begun to play some of the MGS games with a strict "no tranquilizer/low kill" rule set where I try to get through the game without killing anyone that I don't have to but not use the game breaking tranquilizer gun. You get more creative this way and I feel you start to really utilize the intricacies of the games engine to get results.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I'm constantly doing this when re-playing games. Usually it starts with something simple like placing a restriction against the staple moves I normally base myself around and then every subsequent playthrough I tack another rule on.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I've also begun to play some of the MGS games with a strict "no tranquilizer/low kill" rule set where I try to get through the game without killing anyone that I don't have to but not use the game breaking tranquilizer gun. You get more creative this way and I feel you start to really utilize the intricacies of the games engine to get results.
    You know, when I got hardcore into MGS playthroughs and going for 0 kill/0 alert games, I really began to question why they put the Tranquilizer Gun in the game, and I really can't understand why they did.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

^ To make it more accessible for new players. I did like how MGS3 made the Silencer eventually break but I was annoyed that MGS4 kind of went back and made it permanent on the weapon and gave you a means of having infinite ammo with the Drebin system.

I feel the games work better without it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't say I get very creative with challenges in games. I like to play through as perfectly as I can with as little wasted time as possible (except I am a fan of levelling up, so that in itself is a huge time-waster).

I've tried to play in Hardcore mode in New Vegas and God Mode on Silent Hill and both were massive failures.

Blog Entries

My last play through of Skyrim I tried to sleep everynight and no fast travel. I got sick of walking everywhere then GW2 came out

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I generally don't give self-imposed challenges. Most of the modern games that I enjoy playing are for the story and general gameplay rather than difficulty (mostly JRPGs), so I wouldn't get a whole lot out of arbitrarily increasing the difficulty. For other games where it might be fun, I generally don't have the time or inclination to play through it more than once, rendering any challenges moot.