Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    The Sims 3 offers a wonderful gaming experience And I love the Simstore.
    Oh yes I LOVE the Sims 3! Ah, those are good times just tending to my little family. I can forget the sim store though, those items, for what their worth, are quite expensive.
    It's the worlds, Haut. The worlds!

BTW, do you have an account on the site? I could friend you

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Japan is still more progressive in game design than Western developers are.

Gaming is all about evoking emotion made possible by interacting with the environment. A lot of AAA titles fail to be games because they restrict or guide the interaction part too much.
    I'm curious why you think Japan is more progressive than the west in the modern era since it runs counter to what I see demonstrated.

Your second point takes a really narrow view of what gaming should be. It's like saying that computer software is all about being able to type and format text in interesting ways. By your definition, no one should ever enjoy a game of Solitaire or Peggle. It might not be what you prefer, but that doesn't mean that it misses the point of being a video game.
    Solitaire is actually full of interaction and choice by the gamer. It makes the player think
    and feel emotion when his/her tactic fails or results in success. So I didn't intend to bash that game in any way.

The reason why I think Japan is still more progressive is because I feel like they at least try to see the future and adapt to different forms of gaming instead of relying too much on franchices. For example, handhelds are way further developed in the East and see way more titles. As far as I know (and feel free to prove me wrong) there are more IP's coming from Japan than being created in the west, and they often seem more rich in fantasy/creativity.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

On paper, the Assassin's Creed series has everything I'd like in a game: third-person action with a measure of stealth, a rich historical setting, a touch of sci-fi.

I tried playing the first game. By the first horse-ride out of town, I was completely bored troutless and gave up.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Solitaire...
    Because it's you, I reflexively read this as Solaire xD.

The first game is infamous for being terrible, Big D. Please tell me you tried the sequel. Please.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 10-25-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Dark Souls is one of the best games of any generation.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    On paper, the Assassin's Creed series has everything I'd like in a game: third-person action with a measure of stealth, a rich historical setting, a touch of sci-fi.

I tried playing the first game. By the first horse-ride out of town, I was completely bored troutless and gave up.
    Notwithstanding the fact that the AC series established itself as one of my favorite gaming series last summer the horse riding in the AC games is just so smurfing awful! However you need to play AC2 because in fairness AC1 is the worst in the series by far

Articles
    Blog Entries

I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the series but I do enjoy them. While AC1 had my favorite setting by far, it's a shame how relatively weak the gameplay was.

Such a shame. Anyway, AC2 is pretty good. Give a try.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Heck, the DS has Chrono Trigger.
    As does the PSP.

As well as Chrono Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Digital Distribution is unfeasible as an exclusively sustainable business model.
    Explain.
    The non-proliferation of broadband in considerable markets and the rise of the solid state drive.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

• The Persona series is overrated. It's decent, but very repetitive and I don't understand the attention it gets here.
    • Final Fantasy XI is the best game SE has made in the last 10 years.
    • Pokemon, with it's rock paper scissors gameplay and multiple versions of the same game, is still very fun and better than most current RPG series.
    • Heavy Rain is not a video game.
    • Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are overrated (fun, but overrated).
    • The Kingdom Hearts series is currently SE's best franchise.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post

A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post

• Final Fantasy XI is the best game SE has made in the last 10 years.
    • Pokemon, with it's rock paper scissors gameplay and multiple versions of the same game, is still very fun and better than most current RPG series.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the series but I do enjoy them. While AC1 had my favorite setting by far, it's a shame how relatively weak the gameplay was.

I borrowed a mate's copy of AC Revelations, which includes the original game as a bonus. After losing interest in the first one, I had a go at Revelations, which quickly began to feel like "more of the same, except just a little bit different". Don't really feel like going back to the second game on the off-chance it might have something magically unique that its precessor and successors lacked.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

D, why are you only playing the worst Assassin's Creeds? xD

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Heck, the DS has Chrono Trigger.
    As does the PSP.

As well as Chrono Cross
    I think when the best argument you can make for a console/handheld having a better library than others is that it has re-releases of previous consoles best games there is something very, very wrong. And I have a PSP and love it for the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Digital Distribution is unfeasible as an exclusively sustainable business model.
    Explain.
    The non-proliferation of broadband in considerable markets and the rise of the solid state drive.
    Gamestop might like a word on that if their PC section at every store I've been to is any indication. Steam, GOG, and I guess Origin if you really want to include it pretty much are the PC market these days. Is it feasible as the sole distribution method of all games right now? Of course not. Is it feasible as the primary distribution method for games though? Plenty of evidence pointing to yes. And since broadband coverage continues to expand in every part of the world, it's only a matter of time before it's perfectly feasible as the only distribution method.

As for solid state drives, they're a non-issue. Most people don't have them because they're expensive, and those that do, aside from having them in a netbook or Macbook Air or something (where you're probably not looking to play modern games anyway) are going to have your standard drives as a storage drive as well they can run games from. Moreover, the price per GB is always falling on SSD's and I'd say it'll be a couple more years before the amount of storage you get for a reasonable price is more than sufficient to handle just about anyone's gaming needs. And with services like Steam and sufficiently fast internet, you don't even need to store your entire library on the drive all of the time anyway. SSD's are really a non-issue as far as digital distribution, and by the time they've proliferated enough to be an issue, they'll have become cheap enough that it still won't matter.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Vivi22: "Only a matter of time" doesn't really help people like me who live in parts of Australia where we have no access to broadband internet, and even were we to obtain it in the expected 10 years that the Federal Governments National Broadband Network has promised it in, it's still not as smurfing good as the US or Europe.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro Jaggins View Post
    Vivi22: "Only a matter of time" doesn't really help people like me who live in parts of Australia where we have no access to broadband internet, and even were we to obtain it in the expected 10 years that the Federal Governments National Broadband Network has promised it in, it's still not as smurfing good as the US or Europe.
    Oh don't get me wrong; when the inevitable digital future arrives you Australians are smurfed, but you guys aren't important anyway right?

But keep in mind when I say that a shift to all digital is mostly, if not completely, inevitable, we're not talking about five years from now. It might not come that quickly for everyone, but let's face it, it's probably where we're all headed as technology continues it's unstoppable march forward.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post

I borrowed a mate's copy of AC Revelations, which includes the original game as a bonus. After losing interest in the first one, I had a go at Revelations, which quickly began to feel like "more of the same, except just a little bit different". Don't really feel like going back to the second game on the off-chance it might have something magically unique that its precessor and successors lacked.
    The first one sucked, and my coworker informed me that Revelations was really just meh. The second one is fantastic though and had me engrossed from start to finish, going in with basically 0 expectations - I bought it for like $5 used thinking it might be a good way to kill time, and I loved it.

I'm avoiding the other two in Ezio's story, though. I'm hoping AC3 captures the same magic that AC2 had.