Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: we've got a crisis on our haaaaaaaaaands

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Default we've got a crisis on our haaaaaaaaaands

East Coast 'Frankenstorm': Hurricane Sandy plus winter storm has forecasters spooked - San Jose Mercury News

I'm BARELY getting hit by it, but regardless, that sounds like a serious force of nature. Must look AMAZING from an aerial view. What's the worst weather related disaster you've been a part of? We had a huge blizzard here in February 2010 that completely crippled the community. I had to drive three and a half hours home from work and saw at least two dozen cars wrecked and abandoned on the side of various roads. Numerous communities were lacking electricity for weeks at that!
    Last edited by Jowy; 10-26-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: lake effect snow is fun too!

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bring it on, Nature! Sandy doesn't scare me!

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

anyone in the northeast remember the storm from last year's Halloween? yeah, that.

Huge blizzard at the end of October 2011. Caused major damage because there was about a foot of wet snow and most of the trees still had most of their leaves, so many trees were lost or heavily damaged. class was canceled for like 3 days. my parents didn't lose power though, which was nice because I went home. :3

and the Feb 2010 storm caused some nice damage too. a transformer exploded a block over from where i was living. my neighbors got a couple videos of it happening and posted them to youtube: 1 (warning, uncensored language) and 2 (shorter). first one is a better view but a bunch of shakycam for the first 30 seconds or so

Looks like she'll be on top of me Tuesday. I'll probably still be expected to go into work. "We'll worry about it after you're dead" has been my employer's policy on weather closings.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Oh wow, it's supposed to go right over me here in the east coast of Maryland.

As for the worst natural disaster I've ever been caught in...

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Fires. Fires almost burned my place down last weekend. They succeeded in '95. They've tried again multiple times over the years.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tornado of 06/06/10 has been the worst for me so far. As for that Frankenstorm, I'm just barely outside of that over in humble ol' Ohio

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Feb 2010 we had a huge ice storm and I was pissed cause I was scheduled a surgery and it was delayed weeks cause the storm knocked out an entire blocks powerlines. Ice was so heavy it broke poles. Twas crazy.

Other than that, blizzards a lot in wyoming. Oh and that tornado that hit my tree in front of my house earlier this year. That was pretty cool too. OH and when I saw that tornado tear up half a town in wyoming back in like 05?

Come at me nature! Thirty years and counting, you smurfing cow!

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

The worst weather related disaster for me would I guess be earthquakes back when I lived in California in the 90s, but they weren't strong enough for much of our stuff to fall over. Not really weather, but lol close enough.

I pretty much lucked out when it came to hurricanes. Rita (?) and Ike came to my area of Texas, but both times I was in Austin (central Texas) for college. I didn't have to deal with that outrageous evacuation trout for Rita. My family did, though. D:

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

We get a tiny bit of snow in England and the whole country stops. I hope it snows this Christmas.. that's about as much weather excitement that we get, the will it/wont it snow debate.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm surprised how little I've heard about this storm. It looks bad.

Worst I ever experienced would have been the ice storm in Fayetteville in 2009. Everything was caked in 1/4" of ice. You didn't walk anywhere, you just carefully slid and hoped you weren't on too much of an inclined surface. Class was canceled for a full week.

The best, I mean worst weather I've had was in I think '93. Huge blizzard that kept me out of school for a week. More recently, a year or two ago, there was a hurricane that knocked the electricity out and caused some bad flooding in my basement.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have never been involved in anything more than a blizzard as far as natural disasters go.

We had earthquake training last week, though. It was kinda scary.