View Poll Results: Which game would you prefer?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pathfinder

3 15.79%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3.5

6 31.58%
  • Either Works

10 52.63%
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: EoFF Plays Dungeons & Dragons/Pathfinder

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Any time is good for me~

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

Quote Originally Posted by Red Mage Coffman View Post
    I am totally interested, but when?

I also don't know how to play this game, I just want to. If that'll be a problem, don't sweat it then.
    It's a learner's session, Coffman. I'm just starting out too. Talk to Araciel and Bolivar, they be helpful.

And those times work for me.

BTW, should I stay simple Bard, or be an Arcane Duelist?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This is my first time too, RMC! Araciel and Bolivar are both really patient and helpful, and don't mind showing you what you need to do!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Just wait. The midget man with a minimum damage of 11 a swing.

Minimum 14 while Raging.

Coffman- as with the others, tell me what type of character you wanna make - we can make things as simple as that if you want and I'll fill in the blanks rulse-wise- you'll just have to make up what you want your character to look like and how to play the personality. Or we can go in-depth on character creation and I can show you how it all works.

Also: I meant a start time would be between 1 and 4 or 5 est this friday, cause 9 is as late as I can play- anyone have restrictions there?

Articles
    Blog Entries

1PM EST would be excellent for me. I'm not sure if I have rehearsal that day, but if I do I'll still be good depending on how early we start.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    1PM EST would be excellent for me. I'm not sure if I have rehearsal that day, but if I do I'll still be good depending on how early we start.
    If you don't show up, I might have to slap a hooker.

/HBIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Nope, looks like I'm free for that day. Go slap somneone else, cause I'm the HBIC around here.

Really debating Arcane Duelist versus standard Bard. I gain quite a lot of combat durability, for not a ton lost. The biggest drawback seems to be losing Jack of All Trades.

Also, I've been going over stat breakdowns. It looks as though I'll want Charisma to be maxed, since it's my primary ability, granting me extra spells and working with many of my skills. After that, I've been considering melee viability, mostly focusing on Strength and Dexterity. Wisdom looks like a perfectly viable dump stat, and I'm thinking of taking Constitution as another, so I can boost my AC and Damage more. It would make me a bit of a glass cannon, but I'm interested to try.

So that'd give me this:

Str 16
    Dex 14
    Con 7
    Int 11
    Wis 7
    Cha 18

I'm wary about hurting Int, since it will apparently hurt my rate of Skill gains, but I haven't seen anything stating how many skills you get per level per point of Int, so... Might be worth using that instead of Con, or just making it 9 so I can boost my Dex up to 15. There are too many things the tool just doesn't explain in basic enough terms for me.

Anyway, could someone tell me how this would work, if it's suicidal, and how many skill points per level I'd get with it? Because I'd like to know so I can plan things out a bit.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm gonna leave it up to some of the more knowledgeable players who know about build optimization to touch this one. The only problem I'm going to raise is that going below 10 will give you a penalty and doing so for Con might hinder some of your saving throws I think, such as the effects of poison, disease, or to stop dying I believe?

I just don't know about being a glass cannon but going melee.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Assuming Bard is your favored class, then every level you took Bard (and chose skill point as your FC bonus) you'd get 7 skill points to spend. If you're human, then it's 8.

Speaking of human, what race are you? Your stats will be adjusted based on your race. (Humans get +2 to any stat, Gnomes get +2 CON, +2 CHA, -2 STR, etc.) So that may change how you lay things out.

For instance, if you're a human, you could go

STR: 16
    DEX: 14
    CON: 12
    INT: 12
    WIS: 7
    CHA: 16+2=18

So you'd have 9 hp instead of 6, 8 skill pts/level instead of 7 (or 6), and still have a high enough CHA to get bonus spells.

A bard with 7 CON who got hit a single time for 13 damage (which is totally possible even at level 1) would be insta-dead, so yeah, imo it would be a little suicidal.

The 7 WIS is mitigated partly by BARD having a good base will save, so it's not quite as bad, (unless your GM is mean, or smart, and uses creatures that cast confuse, hold person, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Really debating Arcane Duelist versus standard Bard. I gain quite a lot of combat durability, for not a ton lost. The biggest drawback seems to be losing Jack of All Trades.

Also, I've been going over stat breakdowns. It looks as though I'll want Charisma to be maxed, since it's my primary ability, granting me extra spells and working with many of my skills. After that, I've been considering melee viability, mostly focusing on Strength and Dexterity. Wisdom looks like a perfectly viable dump stat, and I'm thinking of taking Constitution as another, so I can boost my AC and Damage more. It would make me a bit of a glass cannon, but I'm interested to try.

So that'd give me this:

Str 16
    Dex 14
    Con 7
    Int 11
    Wis 7
    Cha 18

I'm wary about hurting Int, since it will apparently hurt my rate of Skill gains, but I haven't seen anything stating how many skills you get per level per point of Int, so... Might be worth using that instead of Con, or just making it 9 so I can boost my Dex up to 15. There are too many things the tool just doesn't explain in basic enough terms for me.

Anyway, could someone tell me how this would work, if it's suicidal, and how many skill points per level I'd get with it? Because I'd like to know so I can plan things out a bit.
    Bards gain 6+ int modifier skillser per level. So right now you would get 6 per level, unless you were a human, which grants an extra 1 per level.

And to note, your con and wisdom being low is going to hurt you a hell of a lot more. A 7 con means that, at first level, you will only have 6HP. Also, as a bard Fortitude saves are low for you. Pair that with a low con, you'll have a -2 on fortitude saves for the first two levels. It won't be until 6th level you'll have a 0 Forititude. This is a problem, because Fortitude saves are some of the most important ones to make in the game. Having such a low con opens you up to a lot of the nastiest things that can happen to you in this game. Same with a low will, which is based off your wisdom. You do have a better natural will save as a bard, but even then starting at first level will leave you at a 0 Will. Having both those stats so low is a pretty damning thing to have on a character.

Heres a bit of a pro-tip, you don't need an 18 CHA as a bard. If you knock that down to a 16, and possibly lower your strength by a point or two, you could keep yourself from getting royally messed up. Bards make for terrible Glass Cannons.

6+ Int Modifier. With 11 Int, would that be 6+ 11, for 17 Skills a level?

Also, could my +2 Attribute Human Bonus push an Attribute above 18?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

11 is the stat, not modifier.

11 has a 0 modifier.

And yes it can.

Edit: Modifiers for your stats listed here.
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-abili...ability-scores