First of all, I just want to say I mean overrated character wise, not in-game use wise.

Anyways, I've always noticed that Kain and Rydia get a lot of praise and are some of the most liked characters in FFIV, but I really never got why they're liked so much.

Kain, fine, I'll admit that his armor looks quite neat and his personality (when he's not a brainwashed traitor) is quite cool. But the fact that he spends a majority of the game letting Golbez control him him kills off my admiration for him as a character. I mean, people always complain about Sephiroth's mommy issues and Tidus' daddy issues, but why does Kain get a free pass with his "oh Rosa doesn't love me" issues? Cecil and Rosa are some of his dearest friends, yet he completely turns on both of them just to get what he wants, even though Rosa wouldn't be happy with him. And no, there was no past with Rosa and Kain being together before Final Fantasy IV's events since the DS version made it very clear in the flashbacks that Rosa was always interested in Cecil even as kids. I wouldn't be suprised if a Kain fan came up with that just to defend Kain.

As for Rydia, I don't find her as bad as Kain, since she doesn't let her jealously turn her into a traitor, but why do people insist on idolizing her as a "strong female"? Sure, I suppose when compared to Rosa she seems that way, but there's plently of times when she breaks down such as casting Fire at Mt. Hobbes and after Edge gets defeated by Rubicant. And yes, Rosa does need help quite a few times like with her Desert Fever and getting kidnapped by Golbez. But it's not like either time it was Rosa's fault. If Cecil had feelings for Rydia and not Rosa, Rydia would've been the one to be kidnapped and it's not like Rosa is any stronger than Rydia because of it. Also, people always seem to overlook Rydia getting knocked out by Titan's summoning (this one is understandable though) and having Cecil protect her from the Baron Guards, yet hold Rosa's desert fever against her.

What do you guys think?