Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sequels that sucked

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Default Sequels that sucked

I'm looking at you NiGHTS 2.

What sequel did you look forward to for years (and years) hoping, praying that it would finally get released and when it did...it sucked?

Duke Nukem was another that I was hoping would be awesome, even if it was just running around and shooting stuff with cool weapons and horribly funny one liners and all I got was a metric trout ton of forty minute load times.

Arc the Lad: End of Darkness

I really enjoyed Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits despite its being massively cliche, but End of Darkness was just abysmal.

Blog Entries

I absolutely hated Pikmin 2. Completely ruined my Pikmin experience.

But ONLY because I loved the first one beyond infinity.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Dig Dug 2

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Robotech: Invasion - BattleCry was a good if flawed game that just needed to have the gameplay touched up and retooled a little bit to make it better, but otherwise was a great game that really did a good job recreating the Macross experience. Invasion was suppose to be set in the Invid invasion which was another fave of mine in Robotech and I was looking forward to be playing Alpha Suit sand Cyclone power armor when some dip trout decided that due to Halo's popularity, we should make this game into a generic FPS instead of a third person vehicle transforming orgy fest. It was awful.

Any Lufia Game released after Lufia 2 - Lufia 2 was a great game with a lot of cool mechanics and design and it's sequels pretty much killed the franchise.

Xenosaga Episode 2 - Oh boy, terrible dungeon design, a poorly planned battle system, awful character models, all of the non-Kaijura music was terrible and even her music is a bit repetitive since they are largely leitmotifs of the same three themes, and it's story is a long drawn out mess with only two plot relevant moments in this 80 hour mess. It's no wonder it killed the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Robotech: Invasion - BattleCry was a good if flawed game that just needed to have the gameplay touched up and retooled a little bit to make it better, but otherwise was a great game that really did a good job recreating the Macross experience. Invasion was suppose to be set in the Invid invasion which was another fave of mine in Robotech and I was looking forward to be playing Alpha Suit sand Cyclone power armor when some dip trout decided that due to Halo's popularity, we should make this game into a generic FPS instead of a third person vehicle transforming orgy fest. It was awful.

Any Lufia Game released after Lufia 2 - Lufia 2 was a great game with a lot of cool mechanics and design and it's sequels pretty much killed the franchise.

Xenosaga Episode 2 - Oh boy, terrible dungeon design, a poorly planned battle system, awful character models, all of the non-Kaijura music was terrible and even her music is a bit repetitive since they are largely leitmotifs of the same three themes, and it's story is a long drawn out mess with only two plot relevant moments in this 80 hour mess. It's no wonder it killed the series.
    I actually felt the GB Color Lufia had a lot of potential with it's 9 party set up, though it didn't really pan out well.

And smurf you on Xenosaga 2. I know you're right, but smurf you none the less.

(I actually loved every bit of the story involving the U.R.T.V's. )

Tenchu 3 sucked compared to the almighty greatness that was Tenchu 2. Out of 10 missions for each character I only thoroughly enjoyed 2 or 3 of them. It's no coincidence that those few were free of ridiculous robots, zombies or ghosts as enemies.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 10-29-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, Tenchu is a prime example. Tenchu was great, 2 was brilliant. Everything that came after was such a disappointment that I'm hesitant to class the games as Tenchu games for fear of tainting the brand.

I really wish I still had Tenchu 2.

Megaman Battle Network 4. Although at the time, I wasn't really following releases, I was psyched when I saw this game because MMBN3 was so fantastic. And 4 remains the worst sequel I've ever played.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Perfect Dark Zero.

It wasn't bad exactly, but just very disappointing. Especially as the original Perfect Dark is probably my favourite FPS game. The blame probably partly belongs with me for that though.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Final Fantasy VII
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    Final Fantasy VII
    You are both as wrong as can be and yet not totally incorrect.

Blog Entries

Oh, did I mention how much I hate the 3D Broken Sword sequels? Completely ruined the franchise. So glad that the upcoming game is returning to its 2D roots.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Dragon Age 2 is pretty awful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    Final Fantasy VII

Diablo 3