Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is JUST me or was the main party stupid?

Funny, I'm playing 8 again now. Decided to give it another chance, try and, you know, not be a critic. I'm barely in the story and I've played 3 hours. I'm to busy collecting Triple Triad cards and buffing my Squall up. This always happens when I play FF8... I can never escape Triple Triad T.T

Articles
    Blog Entries

The reason you can't avoid triple triad is that it makes the game so much easier, refining cards early on in the game makes you a veritable junctioning powerhouse. Not to mention the lovely rare cards you can get this early on in the game.

Another FF 8 bashing thread.

How unoriginal.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

He raised interesting points at least!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I didn't like they main party because despite how much depth they might secretly have, they all fit into an overused RPG archetype.

I'm sorry for hating FF8. I feel like I pick on it WAY to much. Well, I do, but that's besides the point. There is just SO much that bugs me. Like drawing magic. I spend around 25 minutes drawing Esuna from Biggs and Wedge, then spend even more time trying to draw Double from the thing that blows Biggs and Wedge away. How could ANYONE like that? And then there are some dumb things in the story that just baffle me. And yes, most of it is pure logical points, but sometimes logic is all it takes. Like, why on earth would you choose the evil sorceress as a partner to help manage Galbadia? Just... WHY? Why would the people cheer the sorceress on for publicly killing the President AND her ranting about how she is going to bring a reign of terror upon them? I'm trying to get a grasp on it all, maybe somewhere along the line I missed a few things. This is why I'm replaying it. Giving it another chance, if you will. Hopefully, my eyes will open. Or close again.

Articles
    Blog Entries

There's one thing I never understood: so many people complain about drawing magic, but you don't need to do it! Just don't do it, then you won't have to complain about it. It seems like the Drawing concept is something most players force themselves to go through even though they hate it, it's boring, time-consuming and completely ruins the challenge of the game.

Also, I'm pretty sure the reason she was made ambassador and why the people cheered for her is because she put a spell on Deling/the audience. At least that's the only conclusion I can come to cause nothing else would make sense.

Blog Entries

You need to do a lot of drawing if you want to do all the high end extra stuff. But then its equally tedious in 7 running around killing sentient tangerines or in X where you gotta catch 10 of every monster or whatever.

Most of the characters I can see the arguments for. Admittedly I can't think of much going for Rinoa either, and she was deliberately made to look dumb from being the only one without military training. Plus those two guys on the train mission (one of whom has irritable bowel syndrome or something, what was that all about??), basically the timber owls ended up looking colossally retarded.

In fact yes that reminds me, didn't she also need the seed contract rewritten because it used words of more than 2 syllables. Ugh

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

The smurfing crowd in Deling, I tell you what, that trout is stupid. Red Mage Coffman you are 100% correct on that point thank you for reminding me. It's smurfing stupid.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Another FF 8 bashing thread.

How unoriginal.
    Another person mocking someone bashing a game they don't like for being unoriginal.

How Unoriginal.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordFox View Post
    You loved the gameplay but hated the characters and battle mechanics.

...So you enjoyed walking through towns and pressing X in battle?

I do agree with you about Laguna, though. Laguna would have made a much better main character. Squall stopped being so much of a douche towards the end of the game, but by that point it hardly mattered. I love Zell, though.
    I kinda find it strange that Squall always seems to be liked by everyone in the game despite acting incredibly cold and sometimes even rude to everyone.
    I don't know what the social rules are in Japan and America, but I do know that if someone in Sweden acted like Squall at a school or whatever he would be almost instantly left alone because everybody would feel insecure and uncomfortable around him.
    "What's the matter with that guy? Eh, guess he wants to be alone, whatever".

I understand what you mean, with the drawing. It doesn't need to be done. Triple Triad is another solution, but in the end isn't it all just tedious busy work? Even though I prefer Triple Triad ten times more. And it does ruin the challenge. Believe me, as of now my Squall has 100 Tornado's junctioned to his attack and he wrecks everything, same for Zell, and Selphie has either Death or Pain for Magic, and she wrecks everything too! Haven't leveled once yet either. Saving that for the Stat Boost abilities. Getting to the main point, I wish this game didn't hand you everything at the beginning. It REALLY does wreck the challenge. While you CAN avoid doing it all, if you're like me, you ALWAYS end up doing it anyways. Maybe I'm a perfectionist or something. I guess EVERY RPG has its share of tedious busy work. 8 Just... combined with everything else makes it more obvious and more annoying.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Please consider some line breaks in your posts for ease of reading, Red Mage Coffman. It's only a suggestion!

I agree with you that the gameplay of Final Fantasy VIII offers a very repetitive experience when it comes to managing and optimizing your party. I actually use a Gameshark code that allows me to draw 100 stock of a spell when I come across it and it makes the game much less tedious.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by *Laurelindo* View Post
    I kinda find it strange that Squall always seems to be liked by everyone in the game despite acting incredibly cold and sometimes even rude to everyone.
    I don't know what the social rules are in Japan and America, but I do know that if someone in Sweden acted like Squall at a school or whatever he would be almost instantly left alone because everybody would feel insecure and uncomfortable around him.
    "What's the matter with that guy? Eh, guess he wants to be alone, whatever".
    I think it's because most of the characters were sort of misfits themselves. Zell was always being picked on by Seifer and his crew, Selphie was new to the school and she didn't really know who to meet or hang around with yet and they knew Squall during the mission in Dollet and he was actually a good leader and less of a jerk than Seifer was being, so they probably assumed that there was worst assholes out there than Squall.

Quistis however while popular she had a massive crush on the guy and didn't really stop crushing on him and then made up some excuse that it was brotherly, sister love to cope. I'm sorry Quistis but I don't buy that, because you said that you felt like you didn't have a chance when Rinoa came in. You loved him.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Big Hands View Post

Another person mocking someone bashing a game they don't like for being unoriginal.

How Unoriginal.
    Sorry but a thread about Final Fantasy VIII sucking because of it's lame drawing system, Junctioning system and dumb characters isn't really new. We get it, some fans don't like Final Fantasy VIII and think that it's one of the worst in the series.
    Last edited by maybee; 11-07-2012 at 02:25 AM.

I will include line posts. Or die trying.
    Now... Sorry for bashing Final Fantasy 8. My friends were being a little more than annoying the day I posted this. I don't like this game at all. I wanted, no NEEDED, the opinions of others. Which I now have.

I could pick on Final Fantasy 8 all day, and I'm considering doing a full video playthrough, pointing out problems that are just ridiculous. I'm already taking notes on the current playthough I'm doing. Will I? I dunno. Honestly, I don't wanna piss people off, as I've said before. I DO love arguing with people, debating about this game and such. For now, I'll give it a rest though. I'll pick on another game. Kidding, I might say something good about a game for once