Thread: "Brave"? More Like BE Brave

Blog Entries

Default "Brave"? More Like BE Brave

Okay, finally saw Brave last night, and I can't help but feel slightly underwhelmed. Fairly, Pixar do set very high standards, which may be one of the reasons why I didn't quite feel this movie.

Okay, first of all, is the main character Merida. I did not at any point feel any kind of connection. No emotional tear, no sense of... just nothing. I thought she was annoying, to say the least.

Secondly, the story is just boring. Boring, clichéd and it just felt divided. The pace was atrocious, and no amount of CGI can cover up the fact that the story was mediocre at best.

Thirdly, no villain. I don't know about you, but I need a good villain. Sadly, Merida turned out to be the movie's only real villain. Pretty much the cause for the entire chaos.

Gaaaah! I need for Pixar to step up their game after a couple of, well let's face it, mediocre movies.
    Last edited by Chris; 11-03-2012 at 11:39 PM.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

It was good, but not great. Pixar's high standards mean a film that isn't grade A instantly gets leapt on. I'm sure they'll bounce back anyway. Brave was still better than most animated films of recent years, and I liked Merida. She deserved a better story.

And do Pixar ever really have memorable villains? They've had some good ones but there's never really been a Pixar equivalent of Gaston or Maleficent or Ursula, someone who truly stands out. Finding Nemo didn't even have a villain!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Blog Entries

Thinking about it, a good villain is more of a prerequisite for a Disney movie, not Pixar. Thanks for pointing that out.

But I think we all can agree on the fact that the story was pretty mediocre. The whole movie felt so unevenly paced.

Also, I kept thinking of "How to Train Your Dragon" the entire time I was watching the movie.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked it very much. The relationship between Merida and her mother felt very real. More than the movie, I like the results of the movie with little girls. I work at Disneyland and every day I see little girls whose favorite princess is Merida, walking around the parks with their little archery sets. It's adorable.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm with Shlup, I found the movie to be very good.

I think it's a perfectly good film with a great script and visuals, and to be harsh on it because Pixar made it seems unfair. It's a well-done version of a classic concept done by a talented studio. It works.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I thought it was a fun movie, but I totally could have used more of the baby bears. The way the previews and the promotions went, I thought they were going to be a huge part of the movie, but they were only bears for a little while.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It was ok. Fun to watch but pretty forgettable afterward.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum