Thread: Save State screw up/retained levels upon death

Default Save State screw up/retained levels upon death

So, I decide to play after the better part of a decade since I last did. I'm leveling up (2 character party) against T-rex's, and end up in a battle with a brachiosaur. I give it a quick effort, but I'm outclassed fairly quickly. I decide to revert to my last save state, which was right before the battle. Unfortunately, I hit 'f' instead of 'd,' rewriting the save state. Right before the Brach kills Terra, and then kills Sabin right as his ATB meter fills. Of course, the last time I 'properly' saved was right after getting the Falcon, and I've done most of the WoR in the mean time.

So, my stituation is pretty grim. Ultimately, this is a mechanics question:
    - At what point does the game decide if an attack hits or misses/if you're successful at running away? The save state is technically before the Brach attacks Terra (just as Sabin is using a phoenix down on her), and its an entire turn before he kills Sabin. Every time I reload the file, it plays the same, and I haven't been capable of running. But, is there a chance that, if I keep up at it, I'll luck out? Or are the odds predetermined by that point?

- Upon death, as you know, your level/stats are retained. However, now I have an over leveled Sabin thats going to screw everything up (I think) when I get my other characters. When they join, are their levels going to be at the level that they were when I died, or will they be averaged, as normal? If thats not clear, take this example: After dying, my party is all level 20, except for Sabin, who's 30. They go to Narshe and pick up Mog, who, before I died, was also level 20. Would the game remember that Mog was at level 20 when I died, or would it now average him up into the new average level of 22? Similarly, if I go get Terra, will the game remember that she's actually at level 40, or will she get re-averaged back down?

Blog Entries

any chance you could use a warpstone to get out of battle?
    Or xpotion yourself to survive a few hits

If your running an emulator you might be able to slow it down enough to chose your menu items
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    any chance you could use a warpstone to get out of battle?
    Or xpotion yourself to survive a few hits

If your running an emulator you might be able to slow it down enough to chose your menu items
    Nope, the killing blow is initiated just as Sabin's ATB bar fills. The animation gives me enough time to select an option, but not enough time to execute it.

Just looked into things; apparently, its just the level that you keep when the game reverts after the party's wiped out - not their stats. So, all the levelling up done with the proper Espers was wasted. And, even worse, the game does remember the levels I was at.

Ah well, time to grind through the entire WoR again.

It's been so long now that a programmer could easily give you what you need. You could insert all the stats manually in a few minutes instead of playing for hours/days.

It depends on what you want to do and how much you want to brag about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75