Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handheld Arguements, aka why the psp is the best handheld.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Big Hands View Post
    FF IV on PSP can only be superior because of The After Years being included, and Scribblenaughts is just gooffy fun, so I'll let that one slide.

But your list includes Monsterhunter and the Jack and Daxter games, all of which are simply decent. Really that's the entire list, games that are decent.

And P3P failed because it lacked the answer, leaving it inferior to FES on the PSP anyway, so that's hardly a selling point there.
    It has the female protagonist, bonus battle areas, and a new opening.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

Sheesh you're seriously in love with the PSP. I agree with the other comments, for me, if I wanted to play a Playstation game I'd do it in my bedroom with a TV and chair. For me the Nintendo family is just more apt for a "pick up and play" style of gaming. I'd have to be gone away from home for quite a while to even consider a PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    FF IV on PSP can only be superior because of The After Years being included, and Scribblenaughts is just gooffy fun, so I'll let that one slide.

But your list includes Monsterhunter and the Jack and Daxter games, all of which are simply decent. Really that's the entire list, games that are decent.

And P3P failed because it lacked the answer, leaving it inferior to FES on the PSP anyway, so that's hardly a selling point there.
    None of which interest me in the slightest.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post

None of which interest me in the slightest.
    Fair enough, I on the otherhand, have no interest in FES.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

PSP? Don't you mean PS1? Kidding, but in all seriousness. There are only a few games that I REALLY want on PSP.
    Star Ocean: First Departure and Second Evoltuion
    Crisis Core
    Persona 3 (And yes it is inferior to FES)
    Final Fantasy 4: Complete Collection
    Final Fantasy 3 (Even if it is overpriced)
    Dissidia Duodecim
    Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness and Dark Hero Days
    Tactics: War of the Lions

there are a few others, but my main attraction to this system was the PS1 selection. I mean, that's almost all of the Final Fantasy collection right there. What could be cooler than having my favorite game series on one, handheld system? Would I play FF7 at a boring family reunion? smurf yeah! Would I play FF8 to... never mind. Would I play FF9 on a bad date? Damn right? (God... Did I just suggest games over women?) Is PSP the best handheld in my opinion? Yeah, but only because of the epic PS1 selection. Everything else is good, but mainly meh.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I just want a handheld. The last one I owned was a GBA and I ended up losing that within a year I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Cactuar, I'm sorry I left you stranded with our rude and stubborn friends

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    For me the Nintendo family is just more apt for a "pick up and play" style of gaming. I'd have to be gone away from home for quite a while to even consider a PSP.
    I've seen a few of you saying that and this opinion is quite outdated. When the PSP started, it focused on console games that ran poorly and weren't fun. That's why I didn't buy one. But then something magical happened. They learned how to make console games fit the handheld experience. They made Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, and Valkyria Chronicles 2 that play well on the PSP and can be consumed in 5-10 minute chunks. So Formalhaut, my friend, with all due respect,

I don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Now that's out of the way, we can set this off right.

First, I don't think it's disputable that, hardware-wise, the PSP is the better machine. I enjoyed walking out of my apartment, listening to music on my headphones as I walk to the shuttle. Once I was safely on, I'd unlock the system, stop the song, and boot up my save of Xenogears. I'd fight a couple battles, plow deeper into a dungeon, then once I arrived at the other campus, pause in the middle of fight and go back to my music as I walked to class. Finally, as I waited for a professor, I was able to get in a couple more deathblows and down a few more monsters before class began. You could also switch that up with comic books or videos, so a little Gundam Wing or Arrested Development is just as incredible as bite-sized Xenogears...

That's power the DS just doesn't have.

Now I understand some of you don't have commutes. I can't figure out why that matters. No one enjoys console games on a console more than me. I have my PS3 hooked up to a HDTV and digitally wired for surround sound. But I enjoy the small screen and some headphones just as much. Some titles even look and sound better that way. Getting in a good RPG session in bed just before going to sleep, with a glass of water on the nightstand, is one of my favorite ways to game.

Lastly we have the library.

I see almost all of you are really one-sided here. Either the PSP is meh or it's only good modded. There aren't any "it's an awesome system!!! I just like the DS better!"

Well, I'm not sure if it gives me a credibility advantage, but I really think both systems are awesome. I owned a DS for years and openly disparaged the PSP until it got its act together. It has some of my favorite games ever, in both original titles as well as remakes. I thought the stylus was nothing less than a stellar shake-up of what we thought we knew about gaming. The fact that a cache of products made it a legitimate and meaningful interface for memorable games is a testament to the enduring genius of Nintendo.

But I just can't think of a game that's better than Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. The aesthetics are just too damn good. The themes make me glad I got a Political Science degree. And the gameplay? Kojima's first co-op game, and it's more fun than some of the western devs who have been doing it for years! Co-Ops and everything in MGS that revolved around it was innovation, and it was marvelous to behold on handheld.

I felt the same way with Valkyria Chronicles 2. Like Peace Walker, VC2 not only introduced co-op to a series, but co-op that in turn injected new ideas back into the gameplay. With charming characters, engrossing political intrigue, fresh gameplay, beautiful artwork, and the amazing soundscapes of the legendary Hitoshi Sakimoto, what more could a RPG fan want? Well, the addictiveness of the handheldization and sheer genius of the co-op makes it a game that's harder to put away than its console counterpart.

And I'm sorry, but ports and remakes do matter. Final Fantasy I-IX, Chrono Trigger & Cross, Xenogears, FFTactics, and Parasite Eve 1&2. These are some of the best RPGs ever made and they look and sound better on the PSP than they do on a TV. And I'll apologize even further - Tactics Ogre is possibly the greatest game I've ever played, and it's best version is only available on Sony's handheld.

The GameBoy Color is close, but the PSP is the best handheld I've ever owned.

edit: (I lost my limit break on edit, but Jowy literally just rep'ed me, saying: "wait xenogears on PSP?! tell me how to make this happen." lol
    Last edited by Bolivar; 11-05-2012 at 04:09 AM.

I'm not trying to deny that the PSP is an awesome system. I just think most of its charm comes from its ports and remakes.

That's honestly awesome. I've gotten to the point where I prefer a handheld to my consoles, and I love being able to take the Final Fantasy games, or Persona 3 on the go, or even just outside my room. I love its functionality, and I love some of its games.

But the DS has a better lineup of games I'm interested in. My DS library is probably 3 times the size of my PSP library, and only includes one or two remakes, instead of being over half ports.

The PSP is an awesome system, but the majority of its awesomeness comes from the fact that it is a portable Playstation. And there weren't tons of games I loved on the PSX.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I like the PSP because it has better graphics and I have access to all those PS1 games I never played. But the DS overall has better games.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    And I'm sorry, but ports and remakes do matter. Final Fantasy I-IX, Chrono Trigger & Cross, Xenogears, FFTactics, and Parasite Eve 1&2. These are some of the best RPGs ever made and they look and sound better on the PSP than they do on a TV. And I'll apologize even further - Tactics Ogre is possibly the greatest game I've ever played, and it's best version is only available on Sony's handheld.
    I don't think anyone argued that ports and remakes don't matter, but when listing more than a half dozen games worth playing without listing them is difficult, there is something very wrong with a handhelds (or any consoles for that matter) library. After all, any argument about what the thing is capable of starts to go out the window when what it's capable of doesn't amount to much more than playing 10+ year old games on a practical level.

Like I said Bolivar, I like the PSP, but the fact that none of us can seem to name many games worth owning outside of PSX ports and remakes tells me that it really never got the support it deserved. It was a capable little system, but only a handful of games ever bothered to show it. I can't say the same about handhelds like the DS or GBA.

Which is why I generally dislike bringing up ports and remakes as being the best titles on a system. No one will deny that they're great games. No one is going to say that they aren't a point in its favour, especially for those that never played them. But being able to play ten or more year old games doesn't make something the best system ever. I'll say again, it'd be like arguing that the PS2 had the best console library ever because it played PSX games. Sure, that's a good point in favour of owning one, but a really great console or handheld needs more going for it than the ability to play its predecessors greatest hits.
    Last edited by Slothy; 11-05-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh yes, I love my jack of all trades PS2. PS1 and PS2 games? I love you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Gran Turismo, MGS Peacewalker, the Monster Hunter series, God of War Chains of Olympus + Ghost of Sparta, the Patapon games, Death Jr., Motorstorm Arctic Edge, Dissidia 012 Duodecim, Twisted Metal Head-On, PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe, the LocoRoco games, the Fireteam Bravo games, Killzone Liberation, the Kingdom Hearts installments, Jeanne D'Arc, the Badman games, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Hot Shots Tennis Get a Grip.

The reason no one assembled a list is because it would be redundant. We could go back and forth title-for-title until the cows come home.

But being able to play ten or more year old games doesn't make something the best system ever.
    Which is why functionality and original titles dominated the majority of my post, which I now lamentably wish you had enough respect for me to read. Peace Walker and Valkyria Chronicles II being head and shoulders above any title I've played in the longer time I've owned a DS Lite and GameBoy Color make the debate a subjective analysis that comes down to your preference and the games you've played. But the shockingly extensive list of most of the greatest games ever made is only the nitrous boost that makes the PSP far and away the best handheld ever made.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

And this [the above post], ladies and gentlemen, is why this discussion is pointless and why I'm spent so many years avoiding video game related forums:

Passive aggressive posts like the above that are essentially masked "I'm right, you're wrong - nothing you're going to say will change that and I will jump at every opportunity to berate your personal preference for being incorrect."

Oh look! Paint drying, how entertaining!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    And this [the above post], ladies and gentlemen, is why this discussion is pointless and why I'm spent so many years avoiding video game related forums:

Passive aggressive posts like the above that are essentially masked "I'm right, you're wrong - nothing you're going to say will change that and I will jump at every opportunity to berate your personal preference for being incorrect."

Bolivar is just epic at these sort of debates, it's not mean, just gentlemanly debate. I think though, that really calling something the "best" handheld is trite because different people look for different things. I prefer the DS, though I do respect the PSP and it's second cousin the Vita for the features it brings. We can compare and contrast for endless days but really both systems offer something different, just take your pick.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post

Listing supporting facts when asked to, identifying inconsistencies, and clarifying your position are the bread and butter of argument. It's also how that post progressed.

But accusing me of being passive agressive is not only tangential and a logical fallacy, it's also false (I can't find anything that's passive aggressive). Ironically, all those things are pretty great reasons to avoid video game forums.

edit: I just realized Aulayna was the one in the other thread who ended a post "Context is marvelous thing when you contort it." Irony++