Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Angry Jerks in Multiplayer

Come and rant with me about jerks and asshats in multiplayer games.

Hux and I just ran a random heroic with some guy in WoW who decided to ninja gear we could have used (that he didn't need) just because he didn't like us!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He claimed we were the "worst dps this expac" despite, you know, not wiping, nobody even died, nothing at all went wrong except one boss managed to pull out a gimmick one time. Had we managed to avoid that the dungeon would have taken maybe 90 seconds less time.

He also didn't understand mages. Not to sperg out but the short version is: Mages stand still for most of their spells, the boss has an ability that forces you to move or take significant damage. So I can either stand still and take damage (which provoked yelling from the healer) or I can move around and do almost no damage (which provoked yelling from the healer).

So in short avoid Mingzhu from Area 52.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Come and rant with me about jerks and asshats in multiplayer games.

Hux and I just ran a random heroic with some guy in WoW who decided to ninja gear we could have used (that he didn't need) just because he didn't like us!
    WoW loot is a whole other smurfing category of rage. That god damn mage took the Needle-Encrusted Scorpion after at least forty trips through Forge of Souls on my warrior and having NEVER see it drop. My fist almost went through my monitor. It didn't drop again until the arpen nerf.

I always get mad when people grab extra health containers when they aren't even close to dying. An extra teammate is more valuable than you not going lower than 70% life!

just avoid Area 52 in general, those people are diiiiiiiiicks!

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

the only things i play online are free for alls in shooters like quake

so i don't really have similar problems lol

well, this one time this guy tried to scam me out of a shield in demons souls, but it was more fun than anything. can't recall any other instances of meeting jerks online. i don't play online modes of games very often.

The community is one of the reasons I quit playing WoW in the first place. Raiding and playing with your friends is fun, but having to rely on one or two people outside of your own group is hell. Also LFG/LFR was always more of a choir than heroics.

About the only online, community driven game I play nowadays is League of Legends. Most of the community is trout players that you cannot escape but I have dealt with so many of them that I don't even care anymore. Winning is fun, but losses don't even matter now.

Most people aren't even dicks. They're just absolutely atrocious at the game. Like an ADC (whose role is to essentially sit behind everyone else and auto attack) who cannot do his job right. Or the jungle (who shows up in random areas on the map to ensure kills for your team) who dies to one of the neutral mobs on the map (which is pretty smurfing difficult to do).

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

So I was playing L4D2 online and I had unfortunately been incapped by a hunter (or something, I forget). My friend came along to help but was also incapped. We had already lost one of our team so we waited for team member 3 to come and save us.
    We watched as Rochelle threw a molotov onto our incapped bodies - to "get rid of the horde surrounding us". I died, but my friend managed to outlast the fire.

I proceeded to punch Mr Shauna for being such a dick and killing me. ._.

I don't play too many games online with randomers, tbh. Sometimes it can be alright, but I enjoy just playing with friends more - to avoid people being dicks. For the most part.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

L4D2 is horrendous online. I get instant kicked like 90% of the time. It's just not smurfing worth it. I only play it with PG because he's the least asshole troll on there.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With me I generally play games online when I'm playing with Paul and Dan. In particular if it's a game like Halo then we are the pricks online.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    the only things i play online are free for alls in shooters like quake

so i don't really have similar problems lol

well, this one time this guy tried to scam me out of a shield in demons souls, but it was more fun than anything. can't recall any other instances of meeting jerks online. i don't play online modes of games very often.
    Yeah... I wish people still played UT or something. 2k4 is probably the last time I had a lot of fun in an online shooter. I can't do CoD (tried with MW3, didn't go well). There's not a whole lot of other arena-style shooters that are fun for me anymore though admittedly I don't have a 360 for Halo. I have some hopes for CSGO but that's about the only online shooter I think I can get into anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    L4D2 is horrendous online. I get instant kicked like 90% of the time. It's just not smurfing worth it. I only play it with PG because he's the least asshole troll on there.
    It's kinda funny isn't it? I haven't played in ages but god I was always getting kicked in versus. Nobody seems like they actually want to have fun in that game, they just want to go from A to B to C and finish the map. Sadly I've had a lot more fun just playing single player because people online are dicks.

For a short time I was able to play the original L4D versus without running into jerks and it was a blast. Just sucks.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    You should add me on Steam and we can play some games when the time zones align. I play with my brother in law a decent amount and we tend to stick to friends only games because he's 11 years old and some people can be real assholes for no other reason than finding out someones a kid.

As for the topic, I play a ton of Starcraft 2 and I'd say it's maybe 50/50 in terms of decent folk (or at least silent folk) to jerks. But I find the guys who are usually jerks aren't quite as bad as other games. Often it's just them being in a strong position in a custom game and doing a bit of trash talking like telling someone to leave because they're such a noob. In what should come as a surprise to no one, this of course triggers my natural response of doing everything in my power to draw the game out as long as possible simply to further annoy them.

Of course, there are the occasional people who are just jerks, often resorting to the old standard of blaming their team. Sure, sometimes it might be justified and maybe you did lose because your teammate wasn't that good or made a mistake the cost you big time, but if people are going to complain about it, they shouldn't play team games. Often I find, after looking at their records for 1v1 that the people who complain the loudest are the ones who aren't very good at all, but they mostly stick to team games so that if they win they can feel good about themselves, and if they lose they have scapegoats.

Oddly enough though, I've found most shooters I play like the various CS games and TF2 have great communities by and large. I can't say I've run into many jerks in any of them, and when I have, they usually get vote kicked or banned for it.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I can tend to be "that jerk".

Only thing I can remember off the top of my head is the "JP onry!" attitude in XI and XIV. But I don't get pissed easily, especially about games, so if someone was being an utterly complete douche, I probably wouldn't even remember it.

Like Boko, I know at times I can be the asshole though. :x

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Ruining your fun is how I get my fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    Yeah... I wish people still played UT or something. 2k4 is probably the last time I had a lot of fun in an online shooter.
    Oh how I loved played 2k4! Those were the days, unfortunately, no one really plays it anymore, nor is there much reception for UT3.

The reason I can't play multiplayer is that if your rubbish, you get moaned at, and if your very good, you also get moaned at for being so good. Normally, I'm on the "worse" end of the scale, so I don't bother. For me, single player is where I'm at unless it's a party game like Mario Kart. I don't understand CoD games and other shooters, which neglect their story campaign as mere "training" for the multiplayer experience.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Ruining your fun is how I get my fun.
    This is why I love you you evil bastard prick.