Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Breeds

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Dog Breeds

Let's talk about dogs, specifically breeds.

I'm looking into having a house with some friends within the next year and I would love a dog and I think we've agreed on a corgi since we all love them. This comes to no surprise.

Now, I also would like another so they can keep each other entertained; they'll both be the same gender to prevent the puppy problem. In regards to this, what goes well with a corgi's disposition?

Corgis are intelligent, active, loyal, friendly, happy, and eager to please. I would like a breed that would go well with them.

I was thinking a Border Collie, as they have similar personalities and they've been suggested as good companion dogs. I am well-educated and experienced in dogs so I can train them pretty well. Do you guys have other suggestions?

Oh, and we can talk about dogs in general too. First to post OMFGDOGS gets a surprise.

I've never owned a dog myself, but I've spent 2 years living with a black lab/greyhound mix, 1 year living with a Siberian husky, and the past 3 days living with a pitbull. I've fallen in love with all of them despite being a self-proclaimed "cat person". To that point, I can't actually form an opinion on what would be a good breed to live with a corgi

also where is my surprise

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Corgis are herding dogs, so I would get something that has that mentality to match them. However, herding breeds need a looot of stimulation. Additionally, I can't think off the top of my head another small-ish herding breed like a corgi. I'm sure they are out there, but I have no idea what they are off the top of my head. A border collie would probably go pretty well with one, though!

piiiiiiit bulllllls

I mentioned recently that I don't think I could own any other kind of dog aside from pit bulls, but I love all of the bully breeds. American bulldog, bulldogs in general, boxers, staffies, etc. I've wanted a great dane my entire life. My favorite favorite breed, though, are dogo argentinos, which are essentially giant white pit bulls.

also, this is my dummy

He's probably thinking "Why has my human forced me to wear such a fashion disaster of a scarf". :P

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Or he probably wanted the donut in my hand that I used to lure him into sitting still.

Blog Entries

I've had lots of breeds of dogs over the years I currently have a staffordshire bull terrier called Toto. Wouldn;t trade her for the world

Here's my pet!
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

My family's had a few dogs, and the best dog I've ever had was a pit bull/lab mix. Pit bulls are very people friendly dogs and are fine on their own, so if I ever got a dog of my own, it'd probably have to be a pit or pit mix from a shelter (or one of the zillions of related breeds commonly referred to as "pit bulls").

I have no idea what would go well with a corgi. Perhaps another corgi, but then you might have a heart attack.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Collies are beautiful. LASSIE!!

But my heart goes to German shepherds. I grew up with them and I love love love them. They are excellent guard dogs and full of life. The major downside to them is that they hide being sick until it's too late or at least the two I've had to put down were like that. Even though it's been over a year after Cristy was put down, I still get extremely emotional about it.

I am happy to own any dog that is at knee level or taller. Nothing wrong with small or toy dogs, they just aren't for me. I'm afraid I'll step on them and the brief window of time I've had with some was not enjoyable.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Faris View Post
    Nothing wrong with small or toy dogs, they just aren't for me. I'm afraid I'll step on them and the brief window of time I've had with some was not enjoyable.
    Dogs that weigh no more than a fat cat are not real dogs; they are rodents.

Blog Entries

Why not just adopt a mutt? I'd say just stay away from terriers. Herding dog that wants a job plus a stubborn dog that wants to do what it wants to do is just asking for trouble...

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've been breeding and training Rottweilers for the last 10 years so I have a lot of experience with BIG DOGS, but not with Corgis I'm afraid, I never even came across one back when I did handling trials.

Collies are lovely, but what about a Sheltie? They're a bit smaller than a Border collie, and I used to train and handle one and he was the nicest dog ever, and one of the best dogs I got to work with.

With collies and corgis you do need to take into account the grooming side of things.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah, trust me I have experience in grooming.

Too much.

So I'm leaning towards a Border Collie, as they have similar personalities as well as being well-tempered, easily-trained, and all-together beautiful dogs.

So, what should I name them!? I was thinking Ein for the Corgi, but what about the Border Collie?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Frank.

-enstein

Adopt a mutt. Seriously. Screw breeds.

Blog Entries

I have a racing Whippet. Usain Bolt doesn't have a clue.

at the traps april 2011ignore the hairline

there was a picture here