Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Smash Bros. 64 and Melee and Smash 4 Discussion

Default Super Smash Bros. 64 and Melee and Smash 4 Discussion

Does anyone out there play Super Smash Bros. 64 or Melee?

I've been playing since late 2004 and have gone to a few tournaments and follow the scene. There aren't a lot of people that play in the area I currently live, but I used to live in one of the largest centers for the competitive Melee scene, so I've had the chance to play a handful of great players.

Some things that could be discussed for casual players would be: favorite characters, favorite stages, glitches, funny things that have occurred in matches, predictions and input on the upcoming Smash 4.

If there are any competitive players out there, what are your thoughts on the current tier list in melee and 64, do you attend any tournaments, What do you think of the currently accepted rule set? The list could go on.

There's also a way to play Smash 64 online through a client that's free to access, so if anyone wants to play, I'm free to play usually.

Blog Entries

I only play melee. My main is Ganon and I usually get to the semi-finals in tournaments. My only real problem is Sheik, though I can handle that matchup pretty well now too. Still a bit of a pain though. Falco is also pretty bad, but I've beaten Falcos that are much higher ranked than I am myself on a few occations. I'm surprisingly good at killing Foxes actually, unless they are way above my level.

My secondaries are probably Marth and Falco I guess, though I usually just stick to Ganon no matter what in tournaments. I can also play most of the low to mid-tiers pretty well, and can do quite well with my DK or even my Pichu in low-tier tournaments.

Yeah, sheik is a pain enough as it is and then you add in her extremely lengthy and easy chain grab and auto combos on ganon and it turns out to be a tough matchup. My friend who I've been smashing with since middle school mains ganon and he has beat my sheik on several occasions. I main Marth and Sheik, and secondary Falco, Fox, Mario, G&W. I play all the characters, but those 5 much much more frequently. I pretty much just play Falco and Fox to spam tech skill and mess around since I'm not very good with them.

What's your favorite matchup to play with ganon and favorite stage to play ganon on? I'd guess you'd be pretty good with him on battlefield or yoshi's, if I had to guess?

Blog Entries

Yes, Yoshi's is my best stage. Battlefield works too I guess, but I just dislike that stage in general because of its weird edges, even though it effects my opponent equally. So I prefer Yoshi's much more.

Marth is one of my favourite matchups. The friend I've played the game the most with mains Marth, and it's one of my easier matchups in tournaments. I actually like playing against Foxes and even Falcos too, even though they can be quite annoying sometimes. I think that's mainly because it "feels better" to smack those two around, I guess.

...also, Samus. And Peach, as long as it's not Armada's Peach. I've played his Peach once, and it wasn't pretty. I think it's the only time I've been 4-stocked by a Peach Player. At least that I can remember. But hey... he just kinda happens to be like... the world champion and stuff, so I guess it's fine to get 4-stocked by him. At least I almost got him in KO-range. Well, except that his DI is so sick he probably would have survived anything anyway somehow.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I use peach and Jigglypuff exclusively. I almost never miss with pound. With peach, I do pretty awesomely thank you very much.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've never played competitively in tournaments but I've lived with people who take the game pretty seriously and know the dynamics of the tourney scene and I can usually get them throwing their controllers and screaming once I get a rhythm going...

Always prefered 64 to Melee, I just think the system was a lot tighter and more predictable and that made it a lot of more fair and hospitable for competition.

For Smash 4... man. HD Smash? I seem to recall Nintendo assuring that a 3DS smash is inevitable as well. I think Brawl went overboard where every level has to be dynamic... bring it a little back to basics, although for game developers they always look at that like it would be a disaster to do...

@Ultima Shadow I've never had the chance to play Armada, but from what I hear he's quite fun to play against and be around. I played a couple rounds against Fly Aminita a while back and I remember him ripping me apart with chain grabs and combos. I'd say Ice Climbers are my worst matchup with any character, so that that made it much worse when playing him

@Cactuar Jigglypuff is a really good character if you can get used to her. It's always fun to play Jiggs against inexperienced players who think she sucks and then you steamroll them lol

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I play mostly Melee, but I've been known to screw around in the other two. My main is Marth and my second is Sheik. I've only gone to one tournament where I was knocked out pretty early.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MTKO View Post
    I've never had the chance to play Armada, but from what I hear he's quite fun to play against and be around.
    Yup! He's one heck of a nice guy actually. No arrogance whatsoever and he never gets cocky.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGhost View Post
    I play mostly Melee, but I've been known to screw around in the other two. My main is Marth and my second is Sheik. I've only gone to one tournament where I was knocked out pretty early.
    I think most people get knocked out early during their first few tournaments. But if you keep going, you eventually start placing higher. Well, unless it's tournaments with all top players or you just get really bad matchups or something that is.

You learn a lot from playing lots of different people playing different characters etc, so going to tournaments is probably one of the best ways to get better, even if you end up getting your ass kicked most of the time.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I'm in a bad area to play in then. Mango has actually gone to the tournament I've been to. I believe my friend said Mew2King has gone before too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGhost View Post
    I think I'm in a bad area to play in then. Mango has actually gone to the tournament I've been to. I believe my friend said Mew2King has gone before too.
    Well... as long as the other players at the tournament is nowhere near their level, you can always play some more fair matches I guess? xD

Did you get to play against Mango or M2K by the way?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've never played 64 or Melee, it's just before my time and Melee requires a Gamecube anyway, and I don't like playing that sort of games emulator style on a laptop or whatever. I love Smash Bros. Brawl though, that's just amazing.

What platform is Smash 4 going on?

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Either my dog is a lot smarter than I think she is, or Mango is somebody I've never heard of.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    Either my dog is a lot smarter than I think she is, or Mango is somebody I've never heard of.
    Mango is basically USA's top player.

I use quite a large variety of characters (starting from best and going downward from mains): Marth, Ice Climbers, Mario, Luigi, R.O.B., Ness, Captain Falcon, Falco, Yoshi, Bowser, and Donkey Kong. For characters that aren't on the list, I'm familiar with their moves (and which ones are ideal finishers and recoveries) and gameplay flow (eg: sticking to the air, taking advantage of grabs or projectiles), but not enough to do as well with them as the others I listed.

I'm the only Ice Climber mainer I know amongst my friends and family, which gets kind of lonely. On the bright side, it's fun suprising people with Ice Climber techniques such as the Forward Smash throw or the Edge Meteor Smash throw, given how underused and underestimated the Ice Climbers are.

As for the order I like the Smash Bros. games (starting with most favourite): it's Brawl, 64, then Melee.

Mango is a competitive Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon player. Supposedly, he's the reason that Jigglypuff is 3rd place in Melee's tier list. I think he only started a year or so after Brawl came out, which is probably why you haven't heard of him.

As for Smash Bros. 4, if I were to bet heavy money on what new characters would be in, I'd bet on Chrom, Zoroark, and Takamaru. Chrom and Zoroark are the most prominent new characters of Fire Emblem and Pokemon, just as Ike and Lucario were in Brawl (who are likely to be removed for SSB4) and Roy and Pichu were in Melee. As for Takamaru, Sakurai said he'd be bringing back old Nintendo characters, and he seems like the most likely retro character to be included, especially given how much he's shown up in the Wii (and Wii U) generation like his role in Captain Rainbow, his playable cameo in Samurai Warriors 3, and him having a game to himself in Nintendo Land. That's all I'd bet on now since Sakurai said he wouldn't be focusing so much on new characters this time around.