Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naming characters

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Default Naming characters

Darn near every role playing game out on the market right now let's you name your character in some way. How do you come up with the name? Do you use all capital or all lower case letters or do you capitalize the first letter like a normal person?

I use the same 4-5 names in all of my games, but whether or not they're all capital or if only the first letter is capitalized depends on how the other characters' names appear. I like uniformity, so if the first character I meet has an all capital name I'm going to have an all capital name as well. If it turns out I named my character prior to meeting another and they aren't the same I will start over just to make sure they match.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

First letter capitalized like a normal person.

Blog Entries

Only the first letter capitalized. I can't stand when they're in all caps. Usually the all caps thing comes from names being in Katakana originally (which is part of the Japanese alphabet, and is used to emphasize Japanese words, names, or used for loanwords). Thus in games like Pokemon you get stuff like "A wild PIKACHU appeared!"
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Depends on the game. If it has all the other names capitalized, then I'll capitalize the letters. Basically whatever so it's consistent with everything else. Main character is usually Futan. Sometimes I'll just name him the default. Not creative enough to come up with a name for every character so usually the supporting characters are the default.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Always go default with only the first letter in caps.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'm a stickler for the first letter capitalised only. I'm pretty sure I've even started games over when I've made a character called NIGEL because the game suggested I use all caps and then realised I was the only jerk in the game who had an all caps name.

I don't tend to use my own name and am a bit boring and use the defaults/canon names (e.g. Link in Zelda). Occasionally I'll just use somewhat unusual names that don't suit the game at all. Case in point: my most recent Fallout 3 and Pokemon Black characters are both called Conrad. No idea why.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Main character has my name if male. Usually capitalised like a normal person, although if everyone is all caps, then I will be too!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I abhor the whole CAPITALISATION business. It really irks me and I hate it when Pokemon still insists on doing it. As for the actual name, I am incredibly non-creative, so it's normally the default name, I don't use my own name has it's also boring (Jordan) though with Final Fantasy games I like to cross names together; naming Cloud Squall instead.

I have a small pool of names, 4-5 for each gender, that I choose from depending on how I am feeling and what name best suits the character. First letter always capitalized because I am not an imbecile.

If I want a new name, I pick a letter and a few vowels and then fill in the blanks.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I have a small pool of names, 4-5 for each gender, that I choose from depending on how I am feeling and what name best suits the character. First letter always capitalized because I am not an imbecile.

If I want a new name, I pick a letter and a few vowels and then fill in the blanks.
    I do the same thing here. I like a few names and choose them based on which I think suits the character best. I've stuck to default names in recent times, but for games like Fallout and the Elder Scroll series where there is no default, I use this pool of names.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

I like picking a category and picking names out of it when it comes to getting to name a party. When I play Disgaea, I generally name males after elements from the periodic table, females after liquor brands, and monsters after webcomics. I have experimented with pizza toppings, fruits, vegetables, famous scientists, and dead presidents, all with varying success.

A little juvenile, but my favorite name for a main character has been Kids; I played Lufia II and there was a lot of remarks about needing to trust Kids, ask Kids what the best course would be, and so on and so forth.

It gladdens me how non-retarded all of you are; going the all caps route is so aesthetically unpleasing.

Blog Entries

All lowercase like a rebel
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    Only the first letter capitalized. I can't stand when they're in all caps. Usually the all caps thing comes from names being in Katakana originally (which is part of the Japanese alphabet, and is used to emphasize Japanese words, names, or used for loanwords). Thus in games like Pokemon you get stuff like "A wild PIKACHU appeared!"
    The single, best thing Pokemon Black and White did was to change Pokemon names to standard capitilization.

Yes, I know, changing anything from the original game is heresy for the series, but for goodness sake, this was annoying.

You know what else can change? The sound of Pokemon cries for the original Pokemon. Yeah, the original Gameboy could only handle basic tones, and the team did a great job making them distinct and interesting. But is there a reason why my Gastly sounds more like a Porygon than Porygon's evolutions do?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Word-Cool association: most elements (Air/Wind, Fire, Water, Earth, Lightning/Light, Darkness) thus what pertains therein (Aero, Twister, Tornado, Sky, Breeze, Tempest, Burst, Gale, Storm, Blast, Gust, Whirl, Sora, Breath, Sirocco, Boreas, Zephyr, Mistral, Levantine, Burn, Singe, Flare, Sear, Flame, Smoulder, Blaze, Brand, Kindle, Tinder, Smoke, Torch, Cinder(ella), Sizzle, Volcano, Vulcan, Bourne, Gasalier, Rain, Shower, Geyser, Driz, Pour, Sleet, Ice, Mist, Cloud, Ocean, Seas, River, Monsoon, Nimbus, Deluge, Serein, Hyetal, Flood, Indra, Stratus, Cumulus, Ombro, Pluvieus, Torrent, Lake, Pool, Sluice, Parjanya, Zamang, Snow, Graupel, Berain, Marine, Estuary, Aegea, Atlantis, Pacifica, Leviathan, Nereid, Triton, Anemone, Billow, Firth, Kraken, Nereus, Drought, Salt, Peter, Bluff, Rock, Terra, Firma, Flora, Digger, Burial, Grave, Granite, Stone, Sandy, Pebble, Obelisk, Geo(de), Lithium, Adamas, Celt, Pumice, Cameo, Marble, Obsidian, Dusty, Clay, Silica, Copper, Jewel/Gem, Pearl, Diamond, Ruby, Emerald, Garnet, Amber, Sapphire, Lapis Lazuli, Zircon, Tourmaline, Citrine, Coral, Beryl, Alexandrite, Amethyst, Carnelian, Serprentine, Hyacinth, Aquamarine, Jasper, Chandrakanta, Bloodstone, Agate, Onyx, Opal, Topaz, Glow, Bolt, Aurora, Aura, Sparky, Surge, Sunny, Solaris, Luna, Flash, Beam, Fluoresce, Luminesce, Dusk, Jet, Black, Coal, Sable, Ebon(y), Negro, Darke, Raven, Crow, Eclipse, Panther, etc.) also, things that hunt and or fly (Shark, etc. Hawk, Falcon, Tiger, Lion, Leo, Cougar, Wolf, Spider, Eagle, Aquila, Bear, Kodiak, Cat, Canine, Dragon, Bee, Wasp, Hornet, Tiamat, Bahamut, Hyena, Aardwolf, Croc, Jackal, Coyote, Condor, Fox, Mantis, Snake, Ocelot, Swan, Dove, Angel, Chopper, Aves, Bustard, Kori, Peregrine, Diptera, Draco)
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I name all my characters 'caps lock'.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum