Thread: i'm commander shepard and i want your sixty bucks

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Default i'm commander shepard and i want your sixty bucks

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/11/12/a...ware-montreal/

WHY?

HOW?

WHAT?

i'm just enabling them by making this thread, but STILL.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I don't think any of us expected them to really end a series with as much dollar impact as Mass Effect.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

So... another Mass Effect game, huh? Okay. Maybe. At least it's only sixty bucks for you!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Bioware, stop. Now. You used to be the Greatest Western RPG Developer of All Time, known for you creative prowess and excellent game design. But now you've become something else and it upsets me.

I know you want money; that's fine. But if you're going to hammer in your biggest franchises into the ground and not do anything new than you're becoming the very type of company you used to provide us relief from.

EDIT: The last original game made from BioWare that didn't belong to Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or was based on another license was in 2005. smurfing 2005.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I've heard that they want an ALIEN protagonist!

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

what next? voting rights for mexicans!?

It's cute that you guys can still muster outrage at EA being money-grubbing fools.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

A bit of cute in your life is just healthy.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

KotOR3, is it so much to ask for? Is it!?!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

After the tremendous failure that was their MMO, yes.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Eh, I played it, there were some decent stories in there as well, it just needed to not be an mmo.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We all knew this would come, they even pretty much said so during Mass Effect 3 interviews when they said things along the lines of:

Whilst Commander Shepherds story is now complete, I don't believe we're done with the Mass Effect universe there will always be more stories and options to explore within it just without Commander Shepherd as a character.

What probably will happen is you'll get an interluding story cutscene based on your choices in the original trilogy before having a new story that will fail to deliver any real difference in the ending. Considering the various elements of the galaxy united behind Shepherd it would not be hard to believe that a Salarian - Krogan war soon came to be within the Galaxy (especially if you were renegade) With the obvious collapse of the council and the citadel's destruction we could also expect to see many more issues. Or perhaps the citadel would be rebuilt. Either way, the change or control endings really provide the worst possibilities for a new story set after the original trilogy. Combine because it has everyone basically the same and Control because Shepherd becomes a peace keeping defensive force when he takes over the Reaper forces.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

If it still has decent gameplay and a half decent story then I'll buy it.

It's not exactly been a small secret that they planned on continuing the series beyond 3 either.

Bioware, stop. Now. You used to be the Greatest Western RPG Developer of All Time, known for you creative prowess and excellent game design. But now you've become something else and it upsets me.

I know you want money; that's fine. But if you're going to hammer in your biggest franchises into the ground and not do anything new than you're becoming the very type of company you used to provide us relief from.

EDIT: The last original game made from BioWare that didn't belong to Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or was based on another license was in 2005. smurfing 2005.
    And since around the early 2000's development costs have gradually been skyrocketting. We don't live in a day and age anymore where a full budget AAA title can be made by one guy in his basement with any form of regularity. The industry has changed so naturally any company that wants to stay afloat is going to plough development resources into tried and tested formulas the majority of the time until they no longer become profitable.

To be expected. :\ Video games never stop being made after the story is finished. They just find another story or twist the original so that they can squeeze every last dime out of a franchise. Ruining it for fans all along the way.

From what I've heard, Bioware is only Bioware in name now. All their staff that made it what it was back in the day have left. Probably from EA working them to death. D:

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Futan View Post
    From what I've heard, Bioware is only Bioware in name now. All their staff that made it what it was back in the day have left. Probably from EA working them to death. D:
    I'm not sure if this is true or not (though some high profile Bioware people have left recently) but even still, Bioware isn't one single developer anymore. It's now 3 (or is it 4? Maybe 5 now with Bioware Montreal?) spread across North America. Because what better way to make diehard fans of a team buy games than to slap their name on teams which had nothing to do with their early success right?

But honestly, even if they hadn't all but said more sequels were coming before Mass Effect 3 released, I think everyone could see this coming since they're owned by EA. Can't say I'm too bothered by it either way though. I've stated plenty of times that I've never really liked Bioware's stuff, so their perceived downhill slide and willingness to exploit the hell out of their successful IP's don't bother me on a personal level aside from my general dislike of these business practices.