Thread: Who knows about stats, attack formulas... all that nitty gritty stuff?

Default Who knows about stats, attack formulas... all that nitty gritty stuff?

So, I know of FFHackster, which I recall playing around with eons ago, and I'm guessing that exposes a lot of the game's numerical and code-based secrets, but as I recall it was mostly a content-editor for the game (correct me if I'm wrong) and if you wanted to make alternate scenarios.

I'm wondering who, if anyone, has done research into the game's code to find out some of the really mysterious stuff. Like stat growth (including before and after class change, if it's any different), the random encounter formula (I've sworn at times that it was deterministic, not random), etc, as well as even weirder stuff like "Why does the unequipped black belt get so good at level 10? How exactly is he penalized for wearing equipment, and to what degree?"

And not just for the NES version, but perhaps for the others as well (especially interesting since these are the "fixed" versions of the games where spells work as advertised and there aren't hidding missing pieces of functionality)

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Gamefaqs is always your best friend for something like this.

Everything you would want to know about what goes on under the hood. (There is typically some sort of version of this published for just about every FF game.)
    GameFAQs: Final Fantasy (NES) Game Mechanics Guide by AstralEsper
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Gamefaqs is always your best friend for something like this.

Everything you would want to know about what goes on under the hood. (There is typically some sort of version of this published for just about every FF game.)
    GameFAQs: Final Fantasy (NES) Game Mechanics Guide by AstralEsper
    Ah, thanks! Somehow between all the other content on GameFAQs I missed this.

It sounds like the author is also considering doing the same for the Origins version as well, which I'd love to see.

Final Fantasy Historian Zen Beoulve's Avatar

I'm currently playing DoS on the WinDS Emulator, and it still has some weird stuff like some equipment lowers your max hp. it happened to me once, when I tried to import a Battery save file, fortunately to me I had a previous save file of my game. Idk if it has deep secrets or not, in my opinion, I dont think so because of the size of the game.