Thread: Best Console?

Default Best Console?

Which console do you think would be the best for this game. The PC, PS2, or the Xbox 360 version. After looking around on the internet, the Xbox 360 version seemed to have the most features and add-ons.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

The PC is, by far, the best way to play Final Fantasy XI. It offers you the abilities to tweak the registries to increase the maximum resolution as well as offers the ability to use third party tools such as windower (which offers a number of tools such as spellcast, draw distance, additional timers, etc.) and the ability to adjust the registries to increase the maximum resolution beyond regular requirements.

The Xbox 360 version also requires that you pay for Xbox Live Gold on top of the monthly fee for the game. Even more than that, the Xbox 360 version is notorious for crashing during certain high player-traffic events such as Besieged.

Long story short, get it for PC. The game is ten years old, so just about anything can run it. The UI is designed with a gamepad in mind (although I always played with a keyboard), but you can always just plug in an Xbox 360 controller or another gamepad and run with that.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I echo PC, though I haven't played the other versions.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The PS2 version is practically dead, the 360 version isn't any different from the PC version, and the PC version lets you use third party tools (that are technically not allowed, but who cares?) and still allows you to play with a gamepad if you wish to do that.

I would go for the PC version.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Thanks for the advice. All of you helped out a lot.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

Though I may be a little too late to this thread I'd like to put further emphasis on the PC version, I've played on both Xbox360 and PC versions and I'd honestly rather quit than go back to the Xbox version.

There are many third party tools you can get which enhance your game play, though considered illegal from an official point of view, most of the commonly used ones are impossible to detect so there is negligible risk. I estimate at least 90% of the player base use these tools, it is generally considered acceptable to use these as far as most of the FFXI community is concerned - that is providing you don't venture in the realms of claimbots/craftbots/speed hacks which are considered cheating by some but not all players. Many players also use these and argue that by using them they are "leveling the playing field". A good example is in the days of HNM (powerful, sought-after monsters), bots used to claim the monsters were absolutely necessary for success in the HNM scene because everyone used them to gain an edge over their competition - in turn, forcing ALL competition to use them just to have a chance.

I appreciate some of what I said may sound confusing if you are new to MMOs/FFXI but I hope you can at least see the point I am trying to make. Which is that depending on what you want to do in the game, third party tools can possibly be a requirement and even an expectation (more specifically in group situations) making PC a very attractive choice.

Also in favour of PC, I'd like to add that with Xbox360 I had some lag issues in situations where there were large groups and lots of animation on my screen. It wasn't too bad for the most part but the one annoying thing is unlike PC you can't do much about it! PC users have the option to turn off weather, reduce amount of character models displayed, reduce resolution and more.

Finally, do not even consider PS2, there has been talk from officials that aspects of the game in the future may not fully support PS2.

So yeah, as it has already been said, the PC version is highly recommended.
    Last edited by ScottNUMBERS; 11-18-2012 at 12:49 AM.
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.