Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Seifer Topic

Default The Seifer Topic

Alright you chicken-wusses, listen up. This topic is about the only good character in the game.

No, not Laguna. Okay maybe there are two good characters in the game.

What an amazing coincidence that these two good characters in a sea of mediocrity and awful are related somewhat. Seifer was inspired by Laguna's wonderful movie and took the brave knight's lessons to heart. Namely the lesson of thinking as little as possible while doing as much as possible.

So yes this topic is to praise Seifer Almasy. As one of maybe four characters who undergo character development in the entire frickin' game he is naturally compelling. I also am attracted to his heroic qualities. Being brash and headstrong while also wearing a white coat with a sword, you'd almost expect Seifer to actually be the main character. What a gyp eh?

In addition to general Seifer talk, I have a specific question for you kind people.

Would you count Seifer as a villain or merely just an antagonist?

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Another FFVIII-bashing topic! Yay! *rolls eyes*

There are few characters in FF where I've had as much pleasure in beating them repeatedly as I had with Seifer. As such I thought the game caught his arrogance perfectly because I really hated the guy.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Actually... I hate Seifer. And yeah, agreed. I hated his ass too. The arrogance and sheer dickness of this guy was enough to make me wanna stab him. He was also REALLY stupid.

But yeah, more of an antagonist if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Another FFVIII-bashing topic! Yay! *rolls eyes*
    ...you need to re-read the OP. I'm saying FFVIII did something well.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

"One of these days I'm gonna tell ya 'bout my ROMANTIC dream!"

Seifer is one of those characters you love to hate. There's something bizarrely attractive about a person who unapologetically chases their desires and acts however they want, even when they are blatantly wrong.

At the end of the day there are good qualities about him that seep through. He was the first to applaud Zell and Squall when they passed their SeeD exam, and at the end of the game he is seen smiling as Balamb Garden flies by. Fujin and Raijin don't seem to be bad people, so I imagine they see the good characteristics in him as well.

Antagonist, not villain.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

I think he was interested in the rivalry with Squall more than anything else.
    "One of these days I'm gonna tell ya 'bout my ROMANTIC dream!"
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

His coat is a beige colour. Nowhere does his coat appear white, not even in an FMV.

In certain fan-circles, Seifer is credited as "The American."
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    In certain fan-circles, Seifer is credited as "The American."
    I wonder if you could introduce me to those circles? I wonder what they call everyone else? Now that you mention it, nicknames are just bursting through my head for Selphie, Squall, Quistis. What would they call Irvine, the "Cowboy" or the "Texan" would be just too easy..
    "Eternities aren't as long as they used to be".

Seifer for me, although a big part of the game, was ultimately forgetable. I can't understand how someone would try so hard in the school disciplanary comittee to then be subversed into following a sorceress and just follow a stupid movie with a bad actor and a bad sword. By the time, I had to battle him for the last time, I was like "again???" always with the same sword tricks, always with the same fire magic.. Sephiroth at least changed forms and attack patterns a couple of times (PS I'm not a 7 fan, so i was actually just being ironic)

I do think they should've had Seifer as the main character. For ages, Squall is just moody.

Seifer just needs better Limit Breaks. That's all!

That's all.

I love that coat, and the sword is so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Braver View Post
    I do think they should've had Seifer as the main character. For ages, Squall is just moody.

Seifer just needs better Limit Breaks. That's all!

That's all.

I love that coat, and the sword is so much better.
    I like the coat too and I have a certain fondness for gingers, so maybe if he wasn't so deluded, maybe I'd have grown to like him a bit more. I don't necessarily agree that he should have been THE main character though, but maybe a part of the team would have been nice. Cloud was moody too through some parts of 7 and as far as I know there isn't a general rule for heroes to be cheery like Vaan or Tidus. In fact I think that just makes them annoying and less believable. A hero is someone who generally will save the world with a certain amount of skill and respect, not someone to get you laughing.. that's why they created comic relief in characters like Zell, Selphie, Steiner to a certain point and so on

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Pretty sure he's blonde, not ginger.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm a huge Seifer fan girl, I don't know why I love him I just do!
    I always felt sorry for him, it seemed like Squall always got the great praise and he was just very bitter, so went off on his own path of what he probably thought was right. I'm glad he seemed to have been forgiven in the ending.

I would have loved to have seen more of Seifer, as the potential was there for him to be so much more.

I do think that Snow from XIII is a lot like a matured Seifer, looks wise and a little personality wise too.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Seifer was a better character than Squall was, and I believed he also had better character development.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.