Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Seifer Topic

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    Seifer was a better character than Squall was, and I believed he also had better character development.
    I don't know about better character development, but he had a dream and was living it. Gotta admire that. :3

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Seifer needed more character development. I don't believe he was just an asshat at the orphanage because he felt like it. There was something making him insecure. Perhaps Squall's crybaby attitude got him more attention from Edea, or maybe it was just that Seifer wanted more time with Ellone and Squall hogged her. Who knows? But I do agree with the general sentiment that Seifer is an excellent character, but he could have and should have been even better.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Seifer is utterly detestable for the most part, and in that he's well written, though his general childishness frankly gets on my nerves. However, I really don't understand his motivation in the game. We know he was bewitched by Ultimecia early on, but I'm not sure what that precisely accounts for. Other than that, he probably keeps following her because he's too arrogant to admit his mistake and slowly sinking into madness. However, this is badly brought into the story, and just as badly conveyed through his dialogue. Most of the stuff he says in mid-to-late game comes out of absolutely nowhere and doesn't make too much sense.

Banned

At the start of the game you can find that Seifer got a book from the library called "The Sorceress and her Knight" or "The Sorceress's Knight" or something; it explains why he is so infatuated with the idea of serving Edea. I think he is a bit of a jerk but that could be born of insecurities or something. He's an interesting character, I just wish he was done a little better

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Would you count Seifer as a villain or merely just an antagonist?
    I can only think of him as an antagonist. He did not do anything nearly as drastic as other villains that were a part of a larger plot, such as Golbez, who caused the death of Tellah, or Exdeath, who caused the death of Galuf. If he had killed or caused the death of one of the protagonists, like Quistis or Zell, then maybe he would be seen as more villainous.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Would you count Seifer as a villain or merely just an antagonist?
    I can only think of him as an antagonist. He did not do anything nearly as drastic as other villains that were a part of a larger plot, such as Golbez, who caused the death of Tellah, or Exdeath, who caused the death of Galuf. If he had killed or caused the death of one of the protagonists, like Quistis or Zell, then maybe he would be seen as more villainous.
    Or, y'know, actually done much of anything. At all.

Seriously, does he contribute anything to the game's plot? I remember kicking his butt in various boss battles, and that's about it.

Ooh, wait, ok, he moved the Lunatic Pandora. So he did do something. Bravo.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.