Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Original is the Best

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Definitely agree with everyone who has said Perfect Dark. Far and away one of my favourite FPS games the sequel felt so run of the mill.

BioShock and Mass Effect I preferred the originals, but can appreciate the changes made in the sequels.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The 64 Mario Kart was the only one I never played.

I liked Maximo: Ghosts to Glory better than Maximo vs. The Army of Zin. Both were great but something about the original captivated me more.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I can't think of many games where I loved the original and the sequel sucked, but here are some that could be seen that way...

1. Duke Nukem. Sure, Duke 3D was nice and all, but I still believe none of the games are as good as the first one.
    2. Excelsior. Oh, forget it, if you aren't Levian then you won't understand. ;_;
    3. Mass Effect. I don't think the sequels sucked, but outside of inventory management I don't feel they really added much and I really miss roaming around random worlds on the buggy thing. That was always fun for me and a great source of extra cash.

Also, while not exactly originals...
    1. Morrowind was better than Oblivion
    2. Final Fantasy VII is better than Crisis Core and I'm told Crisis Core is the best of the prequel/sequels in the VII compilation.
    3. Uncharted 2 is better than Uncharted 3... although not by much.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    wow. really? poor subject matter.

Honestly, what game hasn't there been where the sequels were not considered better. If the original game was so good it warranted a sequel, what are the odds honestly that the sequel would live up?
    If it's so common maybe you could share a couple? Cause I really can't think of many.

God of War is interesting. GoWIII has the best gameplay and maybe the best art design I've seen in any game, but I think GoWII had the best story. Still, the first game is probably the best paced, by the virtue of David Jaffe being a better game designer than his proteges.

This technically isn't "the first," but EA's 2006 The Godfather was a lot better than the follow-up. The second one was a competent open world mafia game with a lot of cool mechanics, but it just doesn't live up to the perfect capturing of Coppola's 1940s New York, putting you in the story in subtle, ingenious ways and even including things from the book that the movie didn't have. It's like we have this great book, a timeless film, and a very solid video game all representing the same wonderful story and you just can't top that.

Quote Originally Posted by Futan
    I'd say that Valkyria Chronicles 1 is better than 2 simply because it was on a console instead of handheld. :x Never actually played 2 so no idea how it is story/gameplay-wise.
    This is a huge mistake and you really owe it to yourself to remedy it. Valkyria Chronicles 2 is so good. It's been a few years since I beat the first, but when I beat the second game I really had to question whether or not it was better.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Act Raiser
    Mystical Ninja (but Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon was a really good game, too)
    Medievil (but Medievil 2 was a really good game, too)
    Civilization

I'm tempted to mention Silent Hill, but Silent Hill 2 is pretty damn good. Can't make up a favorite.

Blog Entries

Star Wars Battlefront
    Deus Ex
    (SPOILER)The Sims

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries

Deus Ex and Valkyria Chronicles are seconded.

Final Fantasy Tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    wow. really? poor subject matter.

Honestly, what game hasn't there been where the sequels were not considered better. If the original game was so good it warranted a sequel, what are the odds honestly that the sequel would live up?
    If it's so common maybe you could share a couple? Cause I really can't think of many.
    Eh?

Is there a single title on this list for which the original was not that good and yet the sequel was somehow worse? That was the point I was trying to make, FYI.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    ...Valkyria Chronicles are seconded.
    But have you played both?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    ...Valkyria Chronicles are seconded.
    But have you played both?
    Yeah, I like my PSP.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wild ARMS comes to mind, largely cause they balanced the characters out really well whereas the sequels always made it so one character was a crutch character and the rest of the party was backup. While Wild ARMS 2nd Ignition brought in some cool ideas and has better writing, I still feel WA1 had a better story cast, and overall design.

I would probably second Final Fantasy Tactics, while I did have fun with the TA series, I have issues with both games pacing and gameplay, and while Tactics isn't exactly perfect in these departments either, I can live with how they did it whereas I find TA1 and 2 to be very grating. TA1 has a great story but I don't feel it hits as many points as Tactics and I felt Tactics had a more profound ending. TA2's main story is the game's main weakness.

Beyond that, this is pretty tough, I'm sure I could think of a few if I thought of lesser titles where the sequels were quick cash-ins and largely just felt like extensions of the first game, but actual legitimate sequels is a bit harder. I can think of a few games where the second or third entry in a series that goes into double digit sequels often is the best entry and beats every thing after it.

I think this may be easier to find in modern games than classics. It's very common these days for sequels to be dumbed down once the original is successful.

In story only, I'd say the original Mass Effect is the best. And there are people out there that would say the original is overall best.

Never played the second but some people say the original Crysis is best.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Wild ARMS comes to mind, largely cause they balanced the characters out really well whereas the sequels always made it so one character was a crutch character and the rest of the party was backup.
    I found the entire party in Wild ARMs 3 to be very useful and integral to things. Granted, Gallows was a bit trout the further you got into the game, but unless you're just nailing Clive with Valiant, his damage output isn't that much better than Jet's and Jet has the advantage of being much faster. Though I will say that Lock On is far better than Accelerator.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Wild ARMS comes to mind, largely cause they balanced the characters out really well whereas the sequels always made it so one character was a crutch character and the rest of the party was backup.
    I found the entire party in Wild ARMs 3 to be very useful and integral to things. Granted, Gallows was a bit trout the further you got into the game, but unless you're just nailing Clive with Valiant, his damage output isn't that much better than Jet's and Jet has the advantage of being much faster. Though I will say that Lock On is far better than Accelerator.
    Clive does hit harder than Jet and his gun has better accuracy than Jet's (main weakness) meaning he's still largely the bruiser whereas Jet misses a lot unless you spend precious resources to raise his accuracy whereas Clive can ignore it with Lock On and just raise his damage far more than all the other party members. Hell he can eventually do so much damage that you don't even need to raise his ammo either so it all goes to damage. So yeah, I'm going to disagree that Clive isn't the main fighter in your party due to his Force ability kind of being bulltrout. The other issue here is that Guardians are not as balanced as they should be so I often felt that whoever had certain Guardians equipped were largely more useful than the others.