Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fantastically designed levels/locations/etc. in vidya

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
    I'm having a hard time agreeing with some of these posts, maybe that's just me though.
    Which ones in particular?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Oh and Ulduar in general. Best. Raid. Ever.
    Karazhan > (SPOILER)Naxx > Ulduar imo.

I mean Ulduar is still very very good which is why I rated it third, but. xD

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Are you high sweetie? Naxx is never better than Ulduar.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Naxx boss fights at level > Ulduar boss fights at level.

Ulduar bosses were a snoozefest up until Mimiron. Naxx was consistently interesting. Also: The Safety Dance.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I suppose Patchwerk at level would certainly be... interesting, true.

What isn't true is that the vehicle section of Ulduar is a snoozefest

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    What isn't true is that the vehicle section of Ulduar is a snoozefest
    Except it is!

Flame Leviathan: Hurr drive vehicles around with 24 other people
    Razorscale: Kill adds
    Ignis: Kill stuff
    XT: Move away from the raid if you get the debuff. THERE'S ANOTHER DEBUFF! Which also involves moving away from the raid.
    Iron Council: Okay hardmode was actually interesting. Otherwise kill stuff.
    Kologarn: Run around like a chicken with your head cut off and kill stuff.
    Crazy Cat Lady: Kill stuff
    Freya: Kill stuff
    Hodir: Kill stuff, shoot the iceblock things, stand on the circle
    Thorim: Marginally interesting at the beginning, then just kill stuff.

MEANWHILE IN NAXX:

HOLY trout SAFETY DANCE
    HOLY trout CRAZY MECHANICS INVOLVING POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE CHARGES
    HOLY trout CRAZY MECHANICS INVOLVING MIND CONTROL
    HOLY trout FOUR HORSEMEN

I dunno I just found that raid so much more fun tbh

Of course this is all just arguing for second place, Kara is and always will be the best raid.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

*hipster glasses on*

Naxx at level 60 > Naxx at level 80

*hipster glasses off*

I guess for me as someone who did Naxx at level 60 when it was hard (and that's not meant to be condescending it's just that words cannot describe how infuriating that place was at times) I just found the level 80 version dull because it was so dumbed down and had a very much been there done that vibe owing to being an entry level raid.

(I guess it's also sort of why I cannot fathom how people found Karazhan hard - don't get me wrong though I agree that Karazhan had an amazing atmosphere and setting and the way the whole place had a story. Shade of Aran is still one of my favourite raid encounters followed by the Opera Event)

BUT

Whilst Ulduar wasn't *that* challenging either (on Normal at least) but the Hardmodes are some of the best they've ever done. That and the music was f'ing amazing - walking through the Antechamber with the haunting male choir singing in the background.

Shenanigans with Flame Lev and all 4 towers active. Yelling at people to shoot down the pyrite to keep the debuffs rolling. Trying not to get the fire spread smurfing everywhere whilst avoiding bombs and plants and fudging LAZOR BEEMS.

Admittedly Ignis, Razorscale and XT (outside of hardmode) were a bit dull but they were the entry bosses and are generally meant to be easy.

Iron Council on hard was great.

Kologarn wasn't that good but still quite a new mechanic.

Cat Lady was insane for the achievement.

Freya was also ridiculous on hard mode. Having the get the plants down in the right order whilst dealing with sprouts and kiting her so the whole raid stopped getting silenced, having to de-root people etc

Hodir was just pretty much a DPS race - was still quite entertaining coming up with whacky ways of buff stacking for *Crysis voice* MAXIMUM DEEPS.

Thorim. Sort of interesting.

Mimiron. Best. Hard Mode. Eveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer. Push the button, trout got real.

Vezaxx was madness on Hard Mode. So much stuff flying around, having to have spot on interrupts to avoid unnecessary damage and healers having no regen whatsoever until all the essences had finally co-elesced. Then it turned into a manic DPS race of still having to keep tabs on the interrupting.

Yogg+0 - people still fail this at lv90 which is a testament to just how barebones oldschool hard this was. That fight was a true lesson in fear and insanity where one single mistake could send everything spiralling wildly out of control and with no watchers up you had no outs at all.

Then there was Algalon - the effort to get the keys, then you finally get into his room (which looks smurfing amazing as it is) then the encounter starts and the whole area warps away and suddenly you're fighting him on what essentially amounts to a floating platform in space.

The setting. The music. The Lore. Nearly all of the fights being interesting or humorous. Ulduar was amazing. No raid since has touched on it. At times certain aspects have challenged parts of it. But as a cohesive whole it was great.

The only memory that beats it for me is stepping into lv60 Naxx for the first time and getting our ass handed to us by the first pack of spiders.

TLDR: I respectfully disagree. I will however agree that Karazhan was an amazing raid too.

Edit: I think this is the first time in a long time that Hux and myself agree on something. :o Quick, batt'en down th' hatches!

Edit 2: inb4 someone goes lol WoW - neeeerds

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Kara wasn't hard per se, but all of my memories of it are so good and I adore the lore and all the bosses Also that atmosphere and music and level design, going back to the actual thread topic (so I quit hijacking things) I think it's basically my favorite place in WoW overall

(Truthfully I think I'm also biased because for Kara and Naxx I was really pushing through it with an entry level guild, but I joined a new guild for Ulduar and they had the place on farm already and they just dragged me through, so I have no real memories attached. xD)
    Last edited by Pike; 11-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    While I could just say the whole game, entering Anor Londo for the first time is incredible. Hell, entering Lordran itself is amazing on its own! The Ash Forest is another one. You have to go through the manky dump that is Bligttown to get there, which makes it all the more impressive in comparison.
    Of course I wanted to menton Dark Souls too, but I couldn't decide which of the locales I liked best The level design in terms of connectivity, diversity and recognition is obviously phenomenal. Ash Lake is epic with the music and the gloomy atmosphere, but I think the Parish is my favorite area. With the blacksmith and Altar of the Sun it really feels like home. But I think the greatest strength of the world of Lordran is that you never want to hang around in one area for too long. There's just too much to see, do and experience! Literally a case of "places to be, people to meet, things to take care of.". Who am I kidding, I love every square inch of Lordran.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    I'm glad that someone has already said Okami. I second that game having some of the most wonderfully designed levels of any game.
    This is true! Ryoshima Coast was my favorite. I used to have a ton of fun just running around out there.