Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HATERS GONNA HATE, FFX style

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Still the worst was FFVIII, I swear to smurf that was so emo i nearly pissed tears.
    I'm the opposite. I love the Junction system so much I cried piss.

FFX is a good game.

Unlike FFVIII and IX, it didn't throw the majority of the party under a bus. It gave each character their own arc and conflict to overcome and they remained relevant from start to finish. It also avoids the common flaw of FF games - the flaw of "why the hell are they even in the party?" - by having a common objective from the start of the game.

The voice-acting is passable and even good in some points. It's not up to Metal Gear Solid 2 or Xenosaga to be certain but it's far from awful. The direction is the problem.

The game does a fabulous job with atmosphere, establishing this bright and colorful world that is simultaneously also the darkest and most depressing world ever seen in an FF game.

Seymour was a good villain. He didn't have the menace of most other FF baddies but he obviously wasn't intended to. When there's a giant doomwhale that might attack, it's hard to find anything else intimidating.
    No, Seymour was intended as an evil counterpart to both Yuna and the party as a whole. His overall goal or motivation was in essence the same as the party's - liberation from the Spiral of Death.

I felt the "big important scenes" were also executed absolutely perfectly. Yuna is gonna die might have been obvious as hell but that didn't make the reveal iN Home any less emotionally charged.
    Facing down and rejecting Yunalesca was also one of the best scenes ever in the franchise.

The soundtrack was fantastic and contains some of the best pieces ever heard in the series.

There is no defending the costumes though... Well, I defend Rikku's because I like staring at her.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Still the worst was FFVIII, I swear to smurf that was so emo i nearly pissed tears.
    This.

Minus the..... crying to piss bit....

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yeah I don't know what's with liquids being dispersed from the wrong orifices but you should probably get that checked out

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Jecht
    "You'll cry. You're gonna cry. You always cry, see? You're crying."

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Everything about FFX is goddamn magical, it is the best FF game, I hope those of you who disagree enjoy being wrong because you COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG.

Milf is the kind of guy who would have been in support of Mao during WW2.

Just sayin.

(SPOILER)I"VE BEEN DRINKING!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Everything about FFX is goddamn magical, it is the best FF game, I hope those of you who disagree enjoy being wrong because you COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG.
    Goddammit, MILF. How do manage to breathe will being so goddamn wrong lately?

Okay. I don't find FF X to be completely awful, but the best Final Fantasy ? The best of the best ? .... no.

Too many flaws holding it back.

psst whisper voice. voice acting.

Tidus " HA-HA-HA-HA HA HA -HAH " ! " HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA--HAH " ! " HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAH " !!

Yuna. Oh god. Please stop. You're raping my ears.

Last edited by maybee; 12-26-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The voice acting isn't what made that scene bad. Square Enix's writing is what made that scene bad.

The Japanese version is a million times worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

What's wrong with the scene exactly? It establishes their personalities, shows them growing closer together, and is a rather believable exchange between two people just trying to ignore how much their lives suck.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

It's meant to be obnoxious. Have you ever tried to fake laugh before? It's not easy to sound natural, especially that loud.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    What's wrong with the scene exactly? It establishes their personalities, shows them growing closer together, and is a rather believable exchange between two people just trying to ignore how much their lives suck.
    Well for starters, their personalities suck.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    FFX is a good game.

Unlike FFVIII and IX, it didn't throw the majority of the party under a bus. It gave each character their own arc and conflict to overcome and they remained relevant from start to finish. It also avoids the common flaw of FF games - the flaw of "why the hell are they even in the party?" - by having a common objective from the start of the game.
    Yes yes yes. All correct. I'm really enjoying my current playthrough of FFIX, but having played FFX earlier this year I can see the distinction between FFIX's and FFX's party make-up.

The game does a fabulous job with atmosphere, establishing this bright and colorful world that is simultaneously also the darkest and most depressing world ever seen in an FF game.
    Yes, the world is fabulous and some of the small details really bring it to life (so to speak). For instance, the city sunk under the Moonflow or Maechen's history lessons really add a lot of intrigue and tone. Coupled with the soundtrack, FFX is bliss at times.

The soundtrack was fantastic and contains some of the best pieces ever heard in the series.
    FFX is probably my favourite soundtrack in the series. It's magic.

Man, the thing is is that I simultaneously love and dislike FFX. I don't know what it is. The world is beautiful and immersive, but at the same time playing through the actual stages (ie: running in a straight line or solving awful sphere puzzles) is pure tedium.

The battle system is my favourite of the 'real' FF games (the first ten, FYI) but the game itself doesn't throw a lot of challenges at the player to really make it shine, outside of a few bosses.

The adventure is focused and relatively short, but the areas and random battles draaaaaag out so long to make what is effectively 20-25 hours of content into 40-50.

It all makes me think of the Mi'ihen Highroad area. I love the look, the style, the music, the chillin' atmosphere, running toward the horizon while people go about their business, etc, but the actual part of my brain that's parsing it as gameplay is just raging at how uninteresting it is. I'm bored as a player, but once I move on to the next section I think about how enjoyable it was (even though it wasn't).

I realize I've stopped making sense. It's just that I don't think it's possible for me to be more ambivalent toward a game and not be able to put coherent words to what I'm thinking.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually just finished a game of Darkest Hour where I led Communist China under Mao from the Long March to global domination so um yeah fair point.

More importantly FFX is the best FF and y'all're gonna have to deal with that.