Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HATERS GONNA HATE, FFX style

Blog Entries

I didn't event mention the monologue.

It turns out monologues in video game don't feel right.

But the music is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by My Little Pokey View Post
    The only thing I really truly enjoyed about X was the CTB battle system. It was new, fresh, and it was to play around with.

That said...
    The Sphere Grid system is my biggest gripe and makes me cringe. It gives you the false impression that you have the ability to develop your characters with a hands-on approach. It does not do that. You are basically railroaded in to one line of growth for each character with only minor pit-stops along the way. You can't open the sphere grid to really do anything you want until you're almost done with the game. And then what's the point? Everyone is pretty much already set in their ways and it's no use to change it.
    I'm going to assume you have never used the expert sphere grid. In that, all the characters are in the centre and you can choose them wherever they wish. The whole point of the standard grid was to people who didn't really wanted to be bothered with planning their route.
    Yeah I never have. But that's because all America got was the troutty hold-your-hand edition of the Sphere Grid.

I'd like to try out the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Whoever said Yuna starts the game off having a crush on Seymour is just WRONG.
    Err. Me.

How am I wrong ?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    The only thing I really truly enjoyed about X was the CTB battle system. It was new, fresh, and it was to play around with.

That said...
    The Sphere Grid system is my biggest gripe and makes me cringe. It gives you the false impression that you have the ability to develop your characters with a hands-on approach. It does not do that. You are basically railroaded in to one line of growth for each character with only minor pit-stops along the way. You can't open the sphere grid to really do anything you want until you're almost done with the game. And then what's the point? Everyone is pretty much already set in their ways and it's no use to change it.
    I'm going to assume you have never used the expert sphere grid. In that, all the characters are in the centre and you can choose them wherever they wish. The whole point of the standard grid was to people who didn't really wanted to be bothered with planning their route.
    Yeah I never have. But that's because all America got was the troutty hold-your-hand edition of the Sphere Grid.

I'd like to try out the other one.
    I do feel sorry for the Americans. They got left with such a vanilla version of the game!

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

There are a lot of things I dislike about FFX, but in the grand scheme of things I still think it's a good game. One of the weaker in the series? Absolutely. A game that I enjoyed playing? Certainly. A bad game? Definitely not.

I think for a start we need to establish what we're going to judge the game against. I'm going to assume, for the sake of the argument, that part of the reason people dislike the game is because they judge it against the likes of VI, VII, IX. Also I'm going to assume that as we're on a Final Fantasy message board that people generally like those games and hold them in high regard. Is FFX a bad game in its own right? No, it is not. Is it less good than many other entries in the series? Yes, in my opinion it is. There are many, many terrible games I can point you to but I can assure you that FFX is not one of them. To indulge in a bit of motoring hyperbole, judging a BMW 6 series against an Aston Martin, a Ferrari and a Bugatti Veyron, there's an obvious weak link there in a very skewed sample. If you add a Fiat Panda, a Reliant Robin and a Ford Ka into the mix, the BMW doesn't look too bad. I think that's one reason why the game is judged harshly. And I say this as somebody who would much rather play VI, VII and IX. We're comparing FFX against some very good games.

FFX does an awful lot of things well - to an extent I would say it's does them better than many other games in the series. For my money, the battle system is surpassed only by FFXII. The music is excellent, graphically it's very pretty and the environments themselves are pretty impressive. I'd probably go so far as to say that Spira is probably one of the better and certainly more memorable worlds, if only for how vivid it is.

As I've alluded to, FFX is not one of my favourite entries in the series and I tend to rank it pretty lowly. I'm not a big fan of the voice acting, but I think that's partly because I've seen it done much better since, not least by FFXII. The sphere grid I can see people's objections to it - certainly if you didn't get the PAL version (as I did).

One of my major criticisms, and something that has come out in this thread, is Tidus. In spite of some hilarious send-ups, he isn't that bad. I agree, his voice acting is annoying, his character is pretty tedious at times, and he is whiny. I did and do find him annoying. But let's face it, he's not exactly alone in the category of annoying protagonists, is he (cf. Squall Leonhart)? And actually, I think Jiro did a pretty good of showing that he isn't as one dimensional and terrible as people make out.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Whoever said Yuna starts the game off having a crush on Seymour is just WRONG.
    Err. Me.

How am I wrong ?
    You're wrong in that Yuna's feelings toward Seymour are not romantic. She is, however, attracted to his power and respects him highly as a Maester of Yevon. He's also kind of oddly charming, in a way, which might have interested Yuna at one point or another. I don't think true romantic feelings ever develop, but Yuna certainly likes him at the beginning of the game in much the same was that people like (and show reverence to) the Pope without actually knowing him personally.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    FFX does an awful lot of things well - to an extent I would say it's does them better than many other games in the series. For my money, the battle system is surpassed only by FFXII. The music is excellent, graphically it's very pretty and the environments themselves are pretty impressive. I'd probably go so far as to say that Spira is probably one of the better and certainly more memorable worlds, if only for how vivid it is.
    This is a lot like how I feel, and it's why I can't come out and say I just hate the damn game, even though on the grand scheme of mainline FF games I put this one as about third to last.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't like it either if I was playing the useless NA version. The endgame/dark aeons and alternative sphere grid are half the fun.

there was a picture here

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

I'd probably even consider buying the HD version if it came out as the International Version.

Games I don't like, yet buying more than once. Final Fantasy, everyone.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I will say this, Final Fantasy X's atmosphere is one of the best of any game, ever.

FFX's soundtrack is one of the Top 3 in the series, imo. The world design, lore, and races are interesting and draw you in. The culture is very fleshed-out as well. And while the gameplay and plot are underwhelming, the world, battle system, and production values more than warrant the HD purchase for me.

:monster:

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    I'd probably even consider buying the HD version if it came out as the International Version.

Games I don't like, yet buying more than once. Final Fantasy, everyone.
    Pretty much this. The gameplay was one of the few things I liked about the game, and being able to play a version that provided much more possibility for challenge would strike me as quite enjoyable. (Though there are some parts where the gameplay just gets annoying - Yunalesca is one of the more annoying boss battles in the series).

The story has a lot of good ideas, but it was executed with all the subtlety of a bag of hammers. Most of the characters had little nuance and the voice acting was almost uniformly trout (which is particularly disappointing since I've heard several of these people in other works and I know they can act).

Things that were actually well done: Once the sphere grid opens up it becomes possibly the series' second-most interesting customisation system after the job system. The game also does a good job of convincing you you're actually in a real place that exists; there are a lot of interesting and diverse cultures and the world looks and feels real. And, of course, the soundtrack is great (although I wouldn't say it's top three material in a series that includes FFV, FFVI, FFVII, and FFIX).
    Last edited by The Man; 12-03-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: close parenthesis
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

as long as the Chocobo in FFX HDRemix isnt near as retarded as the one in the original release, wow, endless hours of frustration trying to get a time of 00:00:00 with that idiot bird... not sure id ever try again without a cheat device of some kind, lol...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    as long as the Chocobo in FFX HDRemix isnt near as retarded as the one in the original release, wow, endless hours of frustration trying to get a time of 00:00:00 with that idiot bird... not sure id ever try again without a cheat device of some kind, lol...

Or that blasted dodging 200 lightning bolts, or that blasted butterfly catching game. Or that blasted Blitzball game which I can't be arsed with...

The gameplay was awesome. The story had its flaws, but I still thought it was an great game.

Looks like this thread is slowly turning into an FFX-love thread but no worries, I'm already in that zone and it's good!