Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's all going to play FFXIV A Realm Reborn when it gets released?

Default Who's all going to play FFXIV A Realm Reborn when it gets released?

I used to play FFXI for many years. I have never played FFIV. I want to get back into FF online again. I miss the gameplay, story lines and mostly linkshells and parting with friends. I tossing up the idea of buying a xbox and getting FFXI again, but starting from beginning is a little scary. I wanted to see how many of you all are going to play reborn, so i can join a linkshell with everyone. Plus many of you have played FFIV before. I'm excited.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

There's a number of us who will be playing, including myself, Loony BoB, smittenkitten, Ouch!, among others (including some who do not post here regularly). Due to the creation of regional servers for ARR, EoFF's players may end up split between an NA and European server -- the details of which will probably be determined as the game gets closer to launch. Feel free to join us on either server.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'll be playing. I'm in Europe but will most likely be playing on an US East server.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I'll be playing when the game comes out. And wherever I am people shall follow to catch a glimpse of the awesome I bring to the game.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I will play this eventually. I'll probably be on either Loony BoB or Ouch!'s server, depending on the regional thing and how much of a bribe they can afford.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Hmmm. How much is Tmoney worth to me?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

More than he's worth to me.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

I'll start the bidding at one gil. Going once. Going twice.

I'll be playing! Server undecided... I have so many different groups/LSes/communities which might all be fragmenting D:

FFXIV Character

Nu Enhasa (Gilgamesh)

I've been considering playing this game as well. I've never really been able to enjoy an MMO though outside of Guild Wars, so I'm hesistant. Does FFXIV feel like a Final Fantasy? I really want to feel like I'm in a FF World with creatures, magic, locations, summons and NPCs.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I think you'll be pleased with FFXIV then, at least from what we've learned so far. Yoshi-P, the producer of FFXIV: ARR, has made it a priority to give FFXIV a bigger FF feel. To that end, there will be a bunch of FF-related content, including a Crystal Tower dungeon, new FF-specific creatures, and FF items (such as Magitek armor).

FFXIV Character

Nu Enhasa (Gilgamesh)

Thanks for the reply, Raistlin. I was doing some more reading and some of my initial concerns went away. I was confused over the generic class choices I read about. I didn't realize they could upgrade/evolve/change into recognizable FF classes. Now I can't decide if I want to be a Dragoon or a Summoner (btw I love FF4).

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

I've always felt that both FFXI and FFXIV 1.x did a very good job of feeling like a Final Fantasy game--often moreso than some other recent titles like FFXII and FFXIII. That said, one of the explicit goals of A Realm Reborn is to really dive into the best of the series as a whole. Obviously summons, enemies, abilities (mostly spells), and similar elements are common to (almost) all the Final Fantasy games, and FFXIV: ARR has them in abundance.

But they're really taking it a step further. The Crystal Tower--the final dungeon from Final Fantasy III--will be returning as a group-raid dungeon in ARR. They're even going so far as to bring back old bosses from that dungeon such as Amon (whose concept art has already been revealed). They've hinted that the final boss for The Crystal Tower will be the Cloud of Darkness. The other group-raid dungeon at launch is the Great Labyrinth of Bahamut--and if you've seen the End of an Era video from early November, you'll know that Bahamut (like the other summons--called Primals or Eikons depending on who's talking in FFXIV) is very important to the game's story.

Additionally, there are, of course, moogles and chocobos. Moogles were uncommon in FFXIV, but it looks like they're more prevalent in ARR, taking up their role as mailmen from FFIX. Chocobos, aside from being mounts, serve as combat companions. Speaking of combat, although the class system features playable classes mostly new to the series, each class gains access to a job (basically a specialization) at level 30 that are series staples (white mage, black mage, warrior, etc.). And speaking of mounts, the Empire in 1.x already used magitek armor, but they've confirmed that we'll all get our own magitek armor mounts in ARR.

tl;dr - Yes. It feels like a Final Fantasy, probably moreso than some of the other numbered games in the series.

FFXIV Character

Nu Enhasa (Gilgamesh)

Thanks for the info. I've been interested in trying this out for a long time, but the general dislike of MMOs and the bad reviews kept me away from this one. When it relaunches though I'll definitely check it out.

I've never played any of the Final Fantasy MMO's, but I'm willing to try this one out. (Especially since their company may become even worse if this fails)