Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I wonder why their development times are so long? The longer that a game takes to release, the more anticipation and disappointment that build up around it. A long turnaround time for a title will only hurt the company, ultimately, as fans will lose interest in a title as they turn to other games that are released on time and have updates about them, right?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

I was under the impression that the long development times was due to the technology they had (e.g. Crystal Tools) and how their development pipeline was integrated (extremely inefficiently). Also, most probably lately, the failure of FFXIV would have set their budgets for other projects back quite a bit, especially when dragging senior talent from other projects to FFXIV in order to rebuild the game from the ground up.

With their new engine, it's not just about the visual capabilities, it's also about the development pipeline which by the sounds and looks of it is incredibly efficient (e.g. direct Maya implementation) especially compared to the horror that is Crystal Tools. This will have a major impact on the time it takes during production stage.

I'm going to assume that once FFXIV: ARR's initial development cycle wraps up, they'll be able to dedicate their resources to other projects under the company. At least, that's what I hope.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Can we please temporarily lock this forum until we actually get something new about this game?

It's really annoying to see an update which amounts to "nope, still nothing going on".

I'm not even sure this game should have a forum at this point.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well we're trying to build excitement for it, it's not our fault SE refuses to throw fans a bone in the last six years. I guess we could take the only trailer that has gameplay footage and just start pondering what the finished product is going to look like.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Good or bad, hope or no hope, empty promise or promise kept, I think EoFF has a duty to cover Versus. At the very least, it shows that we still care about the game to SE, not just abandon all hope and forget like it never happened. Once the fans lose interest, who can blame the company for letting it die? No. Let's continue covering Versus, at least so SE knows there's still a fanbase for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Good or bad, hope or no hope, empty promise or promise kept, I think EoFF has a duty to cover Versus. At the very least, it shows that we still care about the game to SE, not just abandon all hope and forget like it never happened. Once the fans lose interest, who can blame the company for letting it die? No. Let's continue covering Versus, at least so SE knows there's still a fanbase for the game.
    If the fanbase has to cover something, let's keep working on getting Type-0 released over here. At least it's a game that bloody exists.

Why people seem to be more interested in a game that hasn't had anything interesting come out in years compared to a game that's seen a full release and looks frelling brilliant is beyond me.

What do we really know about this game? Why is everyone so desperate for it?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They are desperate because FFXIII and FFXIV have been disappointments to many and this is the hope they cling to of finding something of the past FF glory in the newer games.

Did I say they? Meant we.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I personally feel that the fanboys in denial of FF's decline see it as the second coming of the PSX era, which is why they throw so much love onto it. Not to mention the fact that handheld gaming, while making great strides in its last two generations into being seen as mainstream gaming, is still seen as something of a niche casual gaming experience, cause you know "HARDCORE Gamers play only HD console games on big screen TV or you GTFO!".

I am honestly more interested in Type-0 as well. I liked the demo, even if the combat and lack of customization left a bit to be desired but its a demo so that kind of thing happens. I'm more apprehensive about Versus XIII, not because of the long development time (its not helping) but because the team working on it doesn't always have the best track record with my tastes, and Nojima is writing the plot, and anyone who has been on the forum long enough knows how I feel about Nojima as a writer... For me, my interest is more akin to watching a trainwreck, I don't see this gaming arriving like either SE or the fans hope, and while this is not an issue about whether its good or not, I pretty much feel the game will do well commercially but will most likely disappoint fans cause it wasn't as super special awesome as they had hyped themselves into believing it to be. The fans who gave up on it or kept more realistic expectations will most likely appreciate it more, though everyone will bitch about its development time forever. I'm still banking on it getting a name change, either FFXV, FFVersus, or some tongue twister Latin phrase that fans will quickly ignore.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

It's hard to believe that the current generation is nearing its end, the PS4 is almost appearing on the horizon and we still barely know anything about this game. I seem to remember one of the reasons of me buying a PS3 was for this game, six years ago. Thanks a ton Square Enix. I felt this generation of consoles was very poor for Square Enix and RPGs in general. XIII wasn't all that and there were no real huge RPG titles that got mass attention. (I'm talking about real, full-blood RPGs here, not hybrids like Mass Effect or the like. Sure, we've had Skyrim, but that's a PC game, not a console one.) In that way, the reason I think so many people long for this game is because they're hoping it will be that big 'blockbuster' RPG of this generation. The one FF XIII failed to be.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well there was also Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. I feel both games are probably the best JRPGs of this generation. Lost Odyssey gets a lot of love as well.

JRPGs struggled pretty badly this generation on the home consoles,with WRPGs often overtaking them in popularity, I pretty much feel the mainstream love affair with the genre is probably over. Handhelds got a bit more love and even cell phones are starting to build up a collection, but it seems like most of the major developers feel its too risky or not viable to make a game on the consoles as often.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    JRPGs struggled pretty badly this generation on the home consoles,with WRPGs often overtaking them in popularity, I pretty much feel the mainstream love affair with the genre is probably over. Handhelds got a bit more love and even cell phones are starting to build up a collection, but it seems like most of the major developers feel its too risky or not viable to make a game on the consoles as often.
    I fear JRPGs will end up like Shmups, they don't even call 2D/3D Shooters anymore, same thing happening now with "J"RPGs.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It may happen, though I don't necessarily feel this is a bad or good thing either way. I still remember the days when JRPGs were a niche genre so it's not like this will be new for me.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    If the fanbase has to cover something, let's keep working on getting Type-0 released over here. At least it's a game that bloody exists.
    We have. Our memberbase however did not respond to these threads. Put your money were your mouth is

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

If anyone is interested, the Versus Dev recently asked fans what game they are looking forward to this year. If that means we might get versus this year? who knows but it's an interesting tid bit of news.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    We have. Our memberbase however did not respond to these threads. Put your money were your mouth is
    The problem there is that you gave us nothing to discuss. I participated in the petition, but there's no topic to talk about there.

Odd that we seem to have more to talk about with this game than one that actually exists. There's characters, plot, pretty pictures, gameplay! So much to talk about. Yet we don't. It's sad.