Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

They're all terrible!

/trolololol

In all honesty I've never actually finished the "main" storyline in the 3 I've played (Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim) - for a completionist there's just too much to do and my compulsion to have to look in every Cave, under every rock and behind every tree means I get burned out after a while.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    Skyrim is a shallow experience. It pisses on its RPG roots and create a laughably easy and predictable experience that is completely incapable of surprising anyone with any real experience in the WRPG genre.

Oblivion is too, but at least it was the first time it was an utter disappointment for the series and not the second.
    This is completely untrue. I was wary of absolutely everything they were doing with Skyrim and it turned out to be excellent. The inclusion of perks is a far, far more meaningful way of customizing your character than anything in Oblivion. You can't gimp yourself over with a low constitution or anything and whilst you can still get screwed by pursuing the wrong skills, you can make up for it far more easily than anything Morrowind or Oblivion let you do. I don't like the removal of skills any more than you do but it's not like they were used well in Oblivion or anything. This game seems shallower at first glance but if you spend any amount of time with this and Oblivion and compare them, Skyrim's a tremendous improvement.

As an RPG yes, it's a shallow experience. So was Oblivion. To only a slightly lesser extent so was Morrowind. So were Arena and Daggerfall. Very few RPGs are actually all that deep and meaningful, giving you characters and interactions and choices and consequences. But at least the linearity in this game had someone literate, if not astonishingly talented, writing it and they used some lesser-known voice actors well rather than blowing their entire budget on the Emperor and Martin.

The most important thing though is that Skyrim actually has an interesting, big world to explore, one that can feel hostile and one you can feel lost in. Oblivion was the most generic of generics, a medieval forest basically, and everything that was magical about Morrowind was stripped away - the giant mushrooms, the weird animals, people living inside crab shells, the huge hostile marshes, the broken coastlines, the ash storms, all that. Skyrim doesn't climb all the way back up to those heady heights but I've never said it does. It is, however, an interesting world with a worthwhile aesthetic that regardless of its flaws is hugely enjoyable to explore. Which is exactly what Morrowind always was.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This is completely untrue. I was wary of absolutely everything they were doing with Skyrim and it turned out to be excellent. The inclusion of perks is a far, far more meaningful way of customizing your character than anything in Oblivion.
    Have to disagree with you here, as I feel like a good portion of the perks could be skipped without making the game much more difficult. And although the inclusion of perks was not a bad idea, it's an absolute crime to only have three weapon-based skills in your epic game So while the perks are an improvement, it's smurfing inexcusable to have so little flexibility in regards to character advancement.

You can't gimp yourself over with a low constitution or anything and whilst you can still get screwed by pursuing the wrong skills, you can make up for it far more easily than anything Morrowind or Oblivion let you do. I don't like the removal of skills any more than you do but it's not like they were used well in Oblivion or anything. This game seems shallower at first glance but if you spend any amount of time with this and Oblivion and compare them, Skyrim's a tremendous improvement.
    Again, I disagree so much with you here it's not even funny. From a personal perspective, I should be punished for a poorly designed character. And yet, with an absurdly simple skill amount and the complete removal of statistics, your character advancement choices mean even less than they did in Oblivion.

There is no excuse for only four weapon types. If you emphasize melee combat in just about any form, your character will never be at a disadvantage in combat. It doesn't matter if you only use daggers in combat, if 95% of the way through the main quest you find a kickass mace, you are capable of using it with no prior training or planning, which is completely against the point of creating a character. When I create a character, I should have clear flaws and weaknesses. However, Skyrim (and to a less extent, Oblivion) never has that element so there is minimal character planning needed.

The most important thing though is that Skyrim actually has an interesting, big world to explore, one that can feel hostile and one you can feel lost in. Oblivion was the most generic of generics, a medieval forest basically, and everything that was magical about Morrowind was stripped away - the giant mushrooms, the weird animals, people living inside crab shells, the huge hostile marshes, the broken coastlines, the ash storms, all that. Skyrim doesn't climb all the way back up to those heady heights but I've never said it does. It is, however, an interesting world with a worthwhile aesthetic that regardless of its flaws is hugely enjoyable to explore. Which is exactly what Morrowind always was.
    To be fair, I did agree with you slightly that Skyrim has a better atmosphere and world, but it still lacks any of the real meaningful choice that Fallout: New Vegas has or as much mood and atmosphere as Morrowind.

I will stick up a bit for Skyrim here.

There is, to a small extent, specializing it more specific types of weapons, having some skill perks that focus in on Mace, Axe, or Sword. It's not the the level of focus I would like, but still it's there.

As far as the atmosphere goes, it's my the best of the three latest Elder Scrolls for me. As well as having an amazing opening, the dialogue of Rolof being, what I woudl call, the best moment in the entire series.

...And no WRPG makes you feel as if you choices matter as much as New Vegas.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Okay guys honestly Oblivion vs. Skyrim is a silly argument anyway because neither of them is the best Elder Scrolls game which is Morrowind

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Okay guys honestly Oblivion vs. Skyrim is a silly argument anyway because neither of them is the best Elder Scrolls game which is Morrowind
    wrong wrong wrong wrong
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles

It goes Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion. The games became more "dumbed down" as the series went on.

Morrowind had the most beautiful world out of the 3. There were regular caves, daedric ruins, dwemer ruins, ancestral tombs, telvaani cities with wizards that don't use stairs, sixth house bases, ancient dunmer strongholds, a bar with strippers, and a city on water. I'm leaving out a lot (dwemer ruins submerged under water), but Morrowind had WAY more variety than the other games.

Morrowind also had more skills and weapons. What ever happened to medium armor? Or Spears? Shuriken? I know the way cities load as their own zone now wouldn't work with levitate, but levitating was damn awesome. How about being allowed to wear clothes underneath your armor and enchant them?

Main Quest? In Oblivion you were a pawn. In Skyrim you could yell really loud. In Morrowind you were a god reincarnated who started off taking orders from a secret agent with a drug problem.

More factions to join in Morrowind. It might have had "less" quests than the others (not 100% sure about that) but it always felt like there was way more to do.

I still go back and play Morrowind to this day. Oblivion and Skyrim i've beaten twice each and never touched again.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I have no idea who you are but you are very very correct and I like you good sir.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Oblivion had a sheogorath world.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

This thread made me re-download Skyrim.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Heyyo, ya'll arguin about WRPGs like how me and Wolf Kanno argue about JRPGs. So congratulations.

Damn, where's Quin?

So um, I've been playing Oblivion, and, like, I keep hearing about how Morrowind is good. What am I going to experience in Morrowind that takes it to a higher level than Oblivion?

And do you think I should play Morrowind or Skyrim after Oblivion (please don't tell me the premise of my question is wrong and that I shouldn't even continue Oblivion).

Can anyone share their experience with modding Morrowind?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Morrowind's modding community isn't nearly as large as Oblivion or Skyrim's.

However, Morrowind has an expanded skill system, better story, and one of the greatest atmospheres in gaming.

However, combat is a bit clunky.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post

So um, I've been playing Oblivion, and, like, I keep hearing about how Morrowind is good. What am I going to experience in Morrowind that takes it to a higher level than Oblivion?

And do you think I should play Morrowind or Skyrim after Oblivion (please don't tell me the premise of my question is wrong and that I shouldn't even continue Oblivion).
    Morrowind had the worst combat system and graphics of the three, but there was a lot more you can do in terms of skills and factions. Depends on what kind of gamer you are.

What you'll experience in Morrowind that takes it to a higher level than Oblivion are a bigger/better skill system, better story, and a more beautiful part of the world with more variety. There are SO many different people and factions residing in Morrowind, and the variety of the dungeons is huge. Oblivion felt monotonous.

Morrowing also didn't have level scaling. Level scaling in Oblivion kind of ruined the game for me. In Morrowind you could go back and decimate easy areas, or run into a cave and get DEADED because you were too weak. There was more of a surprise element and fun factor. I remember there being a cave that looked like a normal bandit hideout that eventually turned into an entrance to a daedric ruin with powerful monsters. In Oblivion you would know the gear everyone would be wearing and what kind of loot you would find.

I don't think order really matters. I played them in the order that they came out. I would check Morrowind out after Oblivion. Maybe wait on them to release (or even announce) a Skyrim game of the year edition with expansions included like they did for the last 2 games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Thanks for those awesome explanations!

Damn, I was hoping to mod the crap out of Morrowind like I did with Oblivion. I know the graphic overhauls are supposed to be real good, but is there anything to make the interface and combat any better since those seem to be recurring complaints here?

Articles
    Blog Entries

They are certainly out there. Morrowind has a smaller modding community, but it's by no means tiny.