Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is The Writing of This Game Good or What?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Is The Writing of This Game Good or What?

With the exception of XII, Tactics, and maybe VI, this game has the best writing in the series by far. It has a lot of subtlety than many other games in the series (X, for example) lacks, and a lot of the dialogue is laced with double entendre and metaphor that gives it an edge over the other games. In particular, I found the game funny and charming when it needed to be, but also serious and downright dark without seeming forced.

So, let's talk about IX's great writing.

Articles

Like you said, I always enjoyed a lot of the darker undertones, like Vivi questioning his existence, or the truth behind Kuja and Zidane. But at the same time, Zidane was easily the most charismatic main character in the series, and there were a lot of funny/goofy moments throughout the game too. All of the characters had a bunch memorable quotes as well.

To answer your question, yes, its up there as one of the best written games in the series.
    Last edited by DownDiagonalLeftA; 12-10-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I always felt that Final Fantasy IX's script does the absolute best job of balancing tone. Whereas in other titles (such as Final Fantasy VII and VIII) the moments of levity are often tonally dissonant and jarring, I feel that the ups and downs in FFIX are handled very well. It's all very organic, and I can't think of any moments that feel particularly forced (like the oft-cited, god awful laughing scene in FFX).

Blog Entries

I completely agree! I at least don't feel embarrassed when I read the dialogue.

Though Garnet's "...."s can go to hell.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I read an article claiming that Vivi's existential crisis was handled poorly but I think they're full of trout. Final Fantasy IX is very well done. Somebody say something wrong so I can argue, quick!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I agree, it is one of the best ffs in terms of writing.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

While not my favorite story in the series, I will say that it is does have the best writing by far. I would call it "epic".

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Best story and writing in the series.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would agree it's one of the better written stories in terms of dialogue and characterization, the plot has some issues but overall I can kind of overlook it because a lot of it is emulating previous FFs. I feel Vivi's story is some of the most mature writing in the numbered series. :vivi:

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I agree! The way they handled the whole black mage issue of creation was great. Not only vivi but all of them. The way they made their own village but didn't understand themselves, it was handled well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The story's great. But there are definitely some holes. Freya's subplot, Quina and all of that, Amarant's subplot, Necron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Necron was intentional though.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    I always felt that Final Fantasy IX's script does the absolute best job of balancing tone. Whereas in other titles (such as Final Fantasy VII and VIII) the moments of levity are often tonally dissonant and jarring, I feel that the ups and downs in FFIX are handled very well. It's all very organic, and I can't think of any moments that feel particularly forced (like the oft-cited, god awful laughing scene in FFX).
    Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post
    I completely agree! I at least don't feel embarrassed when I read the dialogue.

Though Garnet's "...."s can go to hell.
    Pretty much!

I think the first point, that the game feels organic in its story development is a very good one. FFIX as a story really seems to develop rather than build up to something that changes everything and you have to take it at face value. It flows very well. Even the moments when it feels like there's going to be a bit of a lull (e.g. start of disc three), there's enough stuff bubbling in the background to keep you interested. It is a very well written game, and I think that is reflected in the quality of the characters.

Blog Entries

XII ≥ IX &Tactics > VI > IV > everything else > dead squirrels ≥ XIII (based on not only the writing, but the execution)
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

id have to go with or what, the start of the downfall was the rat with chicken legs, wtf?, then when it got to the character of Quinna (a huge FU to the LGBT community) i just could not stay interested or take the game seriously anymore, first it patronizes then insults me so FU FFIX, you werent supposed to be a numbered FF in the first place...

despite my vitriol, i am willing to give the game another chance at some point, heck i still own my launch day physical copy and a digital copy from the PSN, ill just have to ignore Quinna as much as possible... i just havent been convinced its worth it yet...