Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skyborn, one of the best RPG's of the year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Big Hands View Post
    Better? The smurf? The only difference is you don't see your character sprite in battle. At best that is a nitpick, how does it alter anything about combat?
    Well, I'm just assuming the game uses the standard RPGM battle system, which might not be the case. Most of the custom battle systems function differently (and better) than the original (such as the FFX and Ar'Tonelico ones), aside from there being on-screen character sprites. But I guess it could just use the front view part, while having other things customized I guess, in which case the front view itself would be the only issue.

Anyhow... while it's only a matter of seeing or not seeing the sprites of your own characters, I personally think seeing your own characters in battle adds a whole lot. It's a simple visual detail, but to me it can mean the difference between battles being enjoyable or boring.

[QUOTE=Ultima Shadow;3181450]
    It's a simple visual detail, but to me it can mean the difference between a battles being enjoyable or boring.
    Well that's about the pettiest thing I've ever heard in my life.

Blog Entries

Well that's about the pettiest thing I've ever heard in my life.
    Oh, I guess it wouldn't hurt to remove the monster sprites too then? Ta-daah! 100% text-based battles!

Seriously though, I do feel the character sprites are almost as important as the monster sprites.

I'm not exactly sure why it has this effect on me, but it is definitely a question of immersion.

It could be the sudden shift in perspective whenever you enter a battle (though that wouldn't explain SitD, which is always first person). Or maybe it's the poor UI. It could even be the focus of view through the square screen that constantly reminds me that I am looking through a screen. Maybe it ruins my connection to my avatar by trying to convince me that I am my avatar, rather than keeping my avatar as an expression or projection, a piece of myself.

All I know is, I can't stand it and it takes me right out of a game, regardless of how much I enjoy the rest of it.

I tend to hate FP viewpoints in general. Portal and Metroid Prime are the only FP games I've ever really loved.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

First person battles have the benefit of the monster attacks being dynamic. I don't know if Skyborn does it, but Dragon Quest games had enemies leap forward to attack you, which is a lot more intimidating than them leaping sideways at your avatar.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

When it comes to first-person RPG battles, I suppose I should mention that whenever I'd solo in FFXI, I'd go into first-person mode to make it feel like Dragon Quest.

Anyway, this game looks neat! Seems very RPG-maker-esque, though.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

This actually looks like it'd have a decent story.