Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Relm Favorite Esper

So who are your favorite espers?

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Tritoch/Valigarmanda, Odin, Alexander, and Shoat/Catoblepas.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Hmm, hard to say. Phoenix is the only one I've ever used in battle and has a great story line with it. Cactuar(GBA) gives +2 speed at level-up, very nice.

But I guess my favorite esper would be (SPOILER)whatever Sabin has equipped .
    Figaro Castle

Articles

Terra, after you get the gem box and economizer.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Terra.

But again, I'd have to echo Mulley and said Phoenix. This esper was weaved into the plot very well and was useful to boot!

Did you mean part Esper or full Esper?

Phoenix if I had to choose one for usefulness.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Terra! After her, Zoneseek. That +2 Magic!

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Bahamut or Phoenix. I realise the former isn't the most exciting choice, but it offers +50% health at level up, Flare and is a great summon anyway. Phoenix, as Mullet said, has a great storyline attached to it and is also very useful in battle!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I love the artwork of all the Espers.

Maduin is very cool and has story relevance.

Cait Sith and the haters gonna hate walk

Also Rantz

I favor the ones based on earlier designs from Final Fantasy 4.

Ramuh, Shiva, Ifrit, Bahamut

I have a fondness for Odin, mostly cause of the speed bonus. He has a bit of a back story too, and I am obsessive enough to be willing to go through the Ancient Castle a second time to switch him to Raiden when I have leveled.
    "If I were a man, I would eat his heart in the marketplace." - Much Ado About Nothing

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Cactuar

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maduin.gif

Maduin - I like his story significance, his spell list, and he's a pretty decent summon for the WoB. I also just like his design.

esper_phantom.jpg

Phantom - He's actually pretty useful in some areas. I also like his design.

ff6esper10.gif

Golem - Honestly? I just really love his Steampunk redesign. He's sadly not as useful as he was in FFV. The quest to get him is pretty amusing as well.

ff6esper07.gif

Quetzalli - Oh my goodness! A summon that turns my whole party into Dragoons!? A much more useful summon than people think. He's a pretty kick ass design as well.

FenrirFF6.PNG

Fenrir - I like to think of him as the upgraded Phantom without the weakness of being absolutely destroyed by the abundance of high level magic in the WoR. He's snazzy looking too, and I'm happy he keeps popping up in later FFs.

ValigarmandaFF6.PNG

Valigarmanda - The Esper that started it all. Like his plot relevance, good spell selection, great Spell animation and he's got a pretty sweet design. I'm pretty fond of his frozen design as well.

MidgardsormrFF6.PNG

Midgardzormr
    - Though he'll always be remembered more for his role in VII, I still feel he made a kick ass Summon and I don't mind that he replaced Titan as the game's token Earth Elemental Summon. It was just nice to have a Earth spell that didn't require Float and he's pretty kickass looking.

Espers-final-fantasy-vi-24583670-142-200.png

Alexander - Of all of the new summons introduced in VI, Alexander is my absolute favorite. I love having an AoE Holy attack, I love his design, I love his battle animation (making him do Holy Missles has never been as impressive as his Holy beam of death) and I love the quest you have to do to get him. It makes me happy that he joined the ranks of Odin, Bahamut, and Leviathan as one of the major summons.

Espers-final-fantasy-vi-24583669-128-144.png 91px-FFVI_Phoenix.png

Phoenix - Cant's believe I almost forgot this one, has a pretty good design and spell animation. Probably the most useful spell selection in the WoR. What it has the best is its tie to the story. While Phoenix has been part of the plot for games like FFV and VII, I don't think any of them have anything on FFVI's integration of the famed mythic beast.

RagnarokFF6.PNG

Ragnarok - Probably the weirdest summon in the game, it teaches Ultima and I like that it actually transforms enemies into items, especially a few that are impossible to get elsewhere.

ff6esper17.gif

Odin - Oh my, an Odin with a backstory whose not just sitting around waiting for you to beat him before he royally kicks your ass. Odin had a touching backstory and he's a pretty decent summon. He's got a good stat upgrade bonus and Meteor is a treat for a spell. I honestly like him more than Raiden.

Bahamut - Sure he's a pain in the ass to get, but he's a fairly decent summon (unless you have Meteor or Ultima by this point) and he teaches the Flare spell I love so much. He has a really cool attack animation and I like his re-design from previous games. Besides, he's a classic.

ff6esper21.gif

Crusader - Yes, I know it's the most impractical summon in the series, but it is VI's strongest Summon until the GBA version. I like the concept of a summon being so powerful it can take out the party as well and considering a description of its attack is something along the lines of summoning a moment in the War of the Magi (or the war between the Warring Triad, I forget) kind of shows you how devastating that conflict was. Its also just a really cool attack and I like how the three warriors sort of represent the Warring Triad.

LeviathanFFVI.png

Leviathan - Thank you FFVIAdvance, for fixing one of the biggest ommisions in FFVI, smurf Bismark, Leviathan is the go to Water Summon. Aquiring him was a nice shout out to FFIV as well. Me thinks SE Japan knows what would get us American FF fans feeling nostalgic.

JumboCactuarFFVI.png
    Cactuar - I've decided that the guys who worked on the GBA version really liked FFVIII, how else do you explain three of their exclusive summons finding their way into this game? Cactuar makes sense though since VI marked the debut of the fan favorite monster. I like how he even acquiring him is a shout out to VIII but is honestly a bit of a challenge if you don't prepare your party properly.

DiablosFFVI.png

Diabolos - Easily my favorite original summon from VIII, I'm happy he's been getting more love in the series. While he's not exactly worth the trouble of getting in the GBA game, he is a fun summon and I feel he really gelled with the games art style and theme.

GilgameshFFVI.png

Gilgamesh - Cause he's mother smurfing Gilgamesh!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wolf Kanno; 01-16-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Forgot a few, this game had a good summon selection

Maduin, of course. *points to sig* I've written almost 400,000 words about him, after all.
    Currently writing a massive prequel to FFVI. Starts thousands of years before the game begins with the birth of magic, and chronicles the entire history of the FFVI world. Check it out!

Final Fantasy VI - The Sands of Time

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Phoenix, because its so well integrated into Locke's story.

Valigarmanda, for a similar reason.

Alexander, just one of my favorite summons from the series in general.

Diabolos, doesn't have anything to do with the usefulness of its magicite, just love the sprite, and was so stoked when it came to FFXI as a summon.