Thread: Metal Gear Solid Villain Favorites

Default Metal Gear Solid Villain Favorites

Well, just typical "favorite" threads are kinda dull. There are so many aspects to characters and some excel in certain areas.

That's why I'm curious to get everyone's views on their favorite MGS antagonists in the following specific areas:

Favorite Design:

Favorite Motivation:

Most Sympathetic:

Favorite Fight:

Favorite Speech:

Favorite Death:

I'll give my answers a little later after I've thought more about it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Design: The Fury

Motivation: Solidus Snake

Sympathetic: Fortune

Fight: Crying Wolf

Speech: The Boss

Death: ditto

Articles
    Blog Entries

Favorite Design: Ocelot. (I mean, it's Lee Van Cleef!)

Favorite Motivation: Gray Fox (he's fighting Snake just so he can remember who he was when he was human. AWESOME.)

Most Sympathetic: The Boss

Favorite Fight: Psycho Mantis (just learning his patterns was one of my favorite parts)

Favorite Speech: Psycho Mantis ("Humans weren't allowed to bring each other happiness")

Favorite Death: The Boss (Beautiful)
    Returners Represent!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Design: Psycho Mantis
    Motivation: Gray Fox
    Sympathetic: The Boss
    Fight: The End
    Speech: Psycho Mantis
    Death: The Boss

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Design: Psycho Mantis
    Motivation: Big Boss (Pre-MGS4 shenanigans)
    Sympathetic: Sniper Wolf
    Fight: The End
    Speech: Gray Fox/Cyborg Ninja "We're not tools of the government or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at. But... at least I always fought for what I believed in"
    Death: The Boss

Favorite Design: The End. The many quirky and unconventional events around this boss make it a very memorable character.

Favorite Motivation: Liquid. I almost found myself rooting for him in MGS4. I just prefer his efforts to take the Patriots down instead of Snake obeying them like a pawn.

Most Sympathetic: Gray Fox.

Favorite Fight: The End, there's just so many options and events in this fight. It's really tense and has some unique mechanics. Edit: I like to add the challenge of no electronics in this fight (so no Thermal Goggles or Microphone) for extra extra tension.

Favorite Speech: Gray Fox.

Favorite Death: Gray Fox, because we don't get to kill him, but Liquid does in a pretty ruthless way. After that you really feel the rage to go and take Liquid down.

The Rex versus Ray fight gets an honorable mention.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 12-19-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Favorite Design: Vamp. I like how they make the dancing guy look creepy as hell. When he's wandering around with bullet holes in him, that also looks really awesome.

Favorite Motivation: Solidus Snake. He was a fabulous antagonist because at the end of the day, you were almost rooting for him. He was by no means a goody goody - he was ruthless and at least part of what he was attempting was selfish. However, at the end of the day, he was doing his best to free the United States from tyranny.

Most Sympathetic: Sniper Wolf. She never really had a chance. Born in hell, liberated from that hell for a slightly less nightmarish life, and then only realizing her mistake when she was on death's door.

Favorite Fight: Volgin. Volgin was the best. If you wanted to sum up MGS3, look no further than Volgin. Over-the-top to the point of absurdity, mixing and mashing both real menace and cartoonishness, fighting him was great. I like how his boss theme is "Battle With Evil Itself" or something.
    And don't forget using the Raikov Mask on him!

Favorite Speech: The Patriots AI

People bitch and moan about MGS2 codecs but this is one of my favorite parts throughout the whole MGS plot. It's creepy, it's interesting, and it really hammers home how the villains, despite being pure evil, aren't cartoonishly so. The best lies contain truth and a lot of what the Patriots say is stuff I can agree with or understand.

Just a couple of my favorite parts...:
    Raiden: I'll decide for myself what to believe and what to pass on!

Colonel: But is that even your own idea?

Rose: Or something Snake told you?

Colonel: That's the proof of your incompetence, right there. You lack the qualifications to exercise free will.

Raiden: That's not true! I have the right --

Rose: Does something like a "self" exist inside of you?

Colonel: That which you call "self" serves as nothing more than a mask to cover your own being.

Rose: In this era of ready-made 'truths', "self" is just something used to preserve those positive emotions that you occasionally feel...

Colonel: Another possibility is that "self" is a concept you conveniently borrowed under the logic that it would endow you with some sense of strength...

Raiden: That's crap!

Colonel: Is it? Would you prefer that someone else tell you? Alright then. Explain it to him.

Rose: Jack, you're simply the best! And you got there all by yourself!

Raiden: Grrr...

Colonel: Oh, what happened? Do you feel lost? Why not try a bit of soul-searching?

Rose: Don't think you'll find anything, though...

That last part is just brilliant.

Favorite Death: Liquid Snake. Face it, this was the death we were all waiting for. Crashing helicopters, exploding robots, several story falls, Alaskan weather and the fact he had no shirt on - they all failed to take down Liquid. He was a nanosecond from killing Snake at last.
    Then!
    FOX....
    DIE....

It was so friggin' perfect.