Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's time for me to build a new computer.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo It's time for me to build a new computer.

Because this thing is six years old and not gonna cut it anymore.

Does this look halfway decent? Am I leaving anything out? Hardware isn't my specialty.

System Build - PCPartPicker

In order to cut costs I'm going to be using my old monitor, keyboard, etc. for now.

Blog Entries

Looks good to me. maybe a little more ram. Dunno how the 5 series are for GPU's. I know my 2 series is a heat monster.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have the same GPU and it is a monster. Not really top of the line, but you'll be able to run pretty much any current title on high settings, barring some bleeding edge hardware crusher like the Witcher 2 or something. You won't get much expandability with the micro-ATX motherboard, but if that's not an issue for you then I see no reason not to get is. Like Bert said I'd probably go with more RAM because why the hell not? An extra $40 for a total of 16GB isn't bad. You can always upgrade it later though if you want to save the money now and feel it becomes an issue down the road.

I should point out though that the hard drive you've selected is a laptop hard drive. Go with one of the Western Digital Caviar models instead. As long as you're going with a 3.5" drive you're getting a desktop drive. You can get enclosures for laptop drives I believe so they can be placed in a desktop, but why bother with the hassle if you can avoid it.

Everything else looks good.

It depends what your budget is, and for what major purpose(s).

Here's really good suggestion based on budget, information. Keep in mind though it's Australian prices (and generally within the country), so chances are it'll be half the price in America.

They're talking about 3rd generation i5's though (you could go for the i5 3470), so if you want to stick with 2nd generation I'd recommend getting a i5 2500 (you won't need the 2500K unless you wanted to overclock). Also, an ATI/AMD GPU is generally very budget efficient in terms of what you get for your money, though I prefer nVidia.

Honestly, most people would barely use 6GB RAM let alone 8GB, though I guess it's cheap enough. Either way you do not need more RAM in that suggestion you've linked.

Hope that helps somewhat.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Disregard my earlier list, I've got a better one which I'll be posting once I finish it up. It's basically completely different than the first list.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Now you have me wanting a new computer Pike. Damn it, I have wishlists in Newegg and everything now. Maybe I'll piece one together with my upcoming birthday and future Christmas presents.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really don't see why anyone would get an i5 instead of an i7; the money saved by going i5 does not justify the massive loss of performance

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Unless you're going to be doing some heavy video editing jobs, rendering, or some intensive multi-channel audio recording with a ton of post-processing effects and the like, the price to performance ratio is absolutely not worth the jump to an i7, especially if gaming is the big reason you're building the computer as I assume it is for Pike. The marginal real world performance gain you get in frame rate from an i7 is not worth an extra $100+ when an i5 offers performance that is quite comparable.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Looks good to me. maybe a little more ram. Dunno how the 5 series are for GPU's. I know my 2 series is a heat monster.
    She'll be fine with 8 GB. If I was on a budget, I'd rather put those 40 bucks elsewhere, like a faster CPU or bigger hard drive.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53550

Newer version of the same processor. Slightly lower power draw, $10 cheaper for some reason. But ten bucks is ten bucks.

Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

You'd lose a few connectors with this power supply, but I doubt the difference between 9 SATA power connections and 7 would be the biggest deal in the world for you. It's not modular either so you'd have to be careful to keep your cabling clean inside the computer, but there are worse things to deal with and you'd save almost $40. It's up to you. Modular power supplies are convenient as hell so if you'd rather pay the extra for it I can't fault you. Routing unnecessary cables out of the way is a pain in the ass.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    She'll be fine with 8 GB. If I was on a budget, I'd rather put those 40 bucks elsewhere, like a faster CPU or bigger hard drive.
    When I replied I think she only had listed she was getting like 2 or 3 GB or RAM

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I wish you the best of luck in building a new computer. I have kept my computer for about six years, too, and it is definitely starting to show its age. I am last to load in any game that I play with a public loading screen. It's embarrassing! This thread caught my attention only because it sounds like we are in similar situations.

What are you going to be using your computer for, primarily? What is your budget? I will show you what I plan to build later this year: Intel i7-2700K, ECS GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Antec Three Hundred Illusion - System Build - PCPartPicker
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53550

Newer version of the same processor. Slightly lower power draw, $10 cheaper for some reason. But ten bucks is ten bucks.
    Jesus, duh! I completely forgot that the K versions of i5's are the ones with an unlocked turbo multiplier. If overclocking is something you want to do then feel free to ignore my advice since an extra $10 could get quite a performance boost once it's overclocked. If that's not something you're interested in though, then I'd just get the one with the newer architecture.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    What are you going to be using your computer for, primarily? What is your budget?
    Gaming, and I want to keep it sub-$1000 if at all possible. That's why I'm not getting a new monitor or anything.