Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21216171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Would I Lie To You? Game 1 SUDDEN DEATH!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz View Post
    The parentheses! Damnit, the parentheses! D:
    When you mentioned parenthesis, I went "damn! Hope they don't focus on that so much"

Thank goodness you didn't!

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I stopped going out for dinner with my grandfather after the fifth time he got us kicked out of a restaurant for racism.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hmmm... okay. So is that the fifth time he got you kicked out in total, or the fifth time he got you kicked out specifically because of racism?

So what sort of things was he saying on all five occasions? Any particular race or culture he doesn't like? What did the staff and other patrons say?

Also, how did you let him know that you weren't comfortable with going out to dinner with him anymore? how did he react? Are you still on good terms?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Jiro's grandma and Raist's grandpa should hang out.I bet they'd have a lot to talk about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Hmmm... okay. So is that the fifth time he got you kicked out in total, or the fifth time he got you kicked out specifically because of racism?
    I guess to be totally honest it would have to be about the fifth time total. Loud, racist comments generally contributed to the staff of these places coming over to talk to him, but it wasn't until he would argue about it with the staff that we'd be asked to leave. And a couple of times he just blew up and said he's leaving and never coming back to that place, but I am certain we were going to be asked to be kicked out if he didn't.

So what sort of things was he saying on all five occasions? Any particular race or culture he doesn't like? What did the staff and other patrons say?
    Blacks and Muslims, mostly. He's none too fond of Mexicans either for "taking 'er jerbs," as he was a farmer for most of his life. But he really hates Obama, and he believes everything Fox News has ever said. He's a Birther, as some people may know. We've been approached by staff the most when he goes off on an anti-Obama tirade that involves ethnic slurs, such as accusing Obama of being a terrorist with the rest of the towel-heads.

The other patrons generally haven't said much, beyond throwing glances our way. Some of them may have said something in the instances where I was fairly young, but I don't remember; I generally just looked down and hoped he'd quiet down. The staff would approach him and ask him to quiet down. Because he's a old man who does what he wants (he never even looks in the mirror when he backs up his truck), he'll argue back about the First Amendment and other bulltrout arguments. That's usually when he's asked to leave.

Also, how did you let him know that you weren't comfortable with going out to dinner with him anymore? how did he react? Are you still on good terms?
    I didn't. I just started making excuses any given time he asked me (which started becoming fairly rare after I grew up anyway), and we just stopped. Outside of the occasional comment as I got older, I didn't really try to argue with him, as it was pointless. I am actually still on very good terms with him, and just saw him over the holidays.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, this is tricky, because unlike my statements where there's a very distinct possibility of catching me out, this one is very hard to get wrong.

My gut is telling me truth, but then as we all know, Bleys is quite a fan of the "Old relative racist" card. Looking back over previous statements, Jiro's racist grandmother was a lie, kind of. Would Bleys do another statement that is slightly similar? I'm not so sure. I would love to hear from my team mates who might be able to shed new light on this situation.

My next questions: When was the last time he went on a restaurant tirade with you? Basically, how far back are we looking for this? Also, you say your grandfather was a farmer, which, not talking stereotypes here, might be a contributing factor for his racist mentality. Was his relatives also in the farming industry, and did they have any racist sentiments? I'm guessing he's not only racist in restaurants; what does your dad or other relatives say about this? Not just you of course, but their views.

Where is your grandmother in all this? Her participation, her feelings, etc.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Good point actually.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    My next questions: When was the last time he went on a restaurant tirade with you? Basically, how far back are we looking for this?
    I would go out with my grandfather since I was very young, as far back as I can remember (when I was about 3, when we moved back to the east coast from Colorado). For nearly the next twenty years, we were only asked/forced to leave from a couple of places, that I was with him anyway. He became worse as time went on. The last time I went out with him was over three years ago.

Was his relatives also in the farming industry, and did they have any racist sentiments?
    I have no idea. I believe his parents were also farmers, but they died before I was born. He was estranged from his sister, who I never met before she died.

I'm guessing he's not only racist in restaurants; what does your dad or other relatives say about this?
    My dad isn't in the picture, though my mom (his daughter) used to try to quiet him down when we were out in public, but wouldn't argue or stand up to him. As far as family goes, my grandfather only ever consistently interacted with his wife and several daughters (and their families), all of whom won't stand up to him. He's only had a very tenuous, off-and-on relationship with his only son, and they'd be too busy arguing about personal things to discuss politics/racism.

My grandmother is a very nice, mild mannered old woman who doesn't have a mean bone in her body. She used to become a little exasperated when they're out in public and would beg him to be quiet, but, again, otherwise would not stand up to him. At home during any tirades, she just won't say anything. My grandfather is now pretty much stuck at home thanks to health issues (he has to use a walker and can only get around very slowly), so the home tirades while watching the news are pretty much all she has to deal with now.

How do you feel about blacks, Muslims, or Mexicans? Do you have any friends by such ethnicities?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The deadline expired on the exact minute that Mercen-X posted that question -- Raist has to answer that one, but can refuse to respond to all others.

My timezone-fu is shot. The timer's expired now, but there was still a full hour left on the clock when Mercen-X posted his question.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

How do you feel about blacks, Muslims, or Mexicans? Do you have any friends by such ethnicities?
    I have a black friend, and even let him use my bathroom once. I don't like Mexicans, though; I mean, have you seen NCG's posts?

I couldn't give a smurf about race.

Articles
    Blog Entries

OptionalBy extension, have you ever brought any friends around, or have them around with your grandfather present?

OptionalIf your grandmother appears so different from your grandfather in terms of morals and ethics, what made them attracted to each other? How do they still bond?

And with that, I now have no more questions to answer. I'm really stuck, Rantz hasn't said anything that makes me think either lie or truth. While my statement had definite holes in it, this one is watertight. Tricky. As of now, I would lean towards lie, if literally only because of the grandmother/grandfather clash. But then again, I've seen more surprising match-ups...

I'd love to hear what Quin's view on this would be. I shall strike the vote down once Mercen and Quin has given their individual votes.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Optional questions???? How brazen! Fine, fine, I'll answer your optional questions.

By extension, have you ever brought any friends around, or have them around with your grandfather present?
    I honestly cannot remember a single instance where I brought a friend over to my grandparents' house, or had a friend around my grandfather. I'm sure it happened at some point when I was very young and lived nearby, but that hasn't been since I was 7. I've lived a ways away since then, so most of the time I'm in that area it's just to visit relatives.

If your grandmother appears so different from your grandfather in terms of morals and ethics, what made them attracted to each other?
    smurf if I know. I can't imagine she's indifferent to his "morals" in general, just to his bigotry. As much as I demand an intellectual connection and similar values, most people don't, especially back in the '40s/'50s. It's pretty traditional: he's the man and head of the house and she's the housewife. She might even agree with him on some things, but just doesn't like being embarrassed about public outbursts.

How do they still bond?
    With his poor health, he pretty much just stays in the house and she takes care of them. They seem to get along ok, though I would not have described their relationship as particularly "loving" for as long as I can remember. He has a lot less energy now than he used to, and this winter when I was up there was never any ranting and they seemed ok. Although we were just watching football instead of the news.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hrm... thanks Raist. Virtually everything you have said I cannot contradict in anyway, so I guess truth on this. Not my official vote Bleys by the way.

I shall hear the verdict of my two co-members and I shall make my decision. Might take awhile with Quin though