Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default "Free" Theatrhythm adds up

The iOS port of Final Fantasy Theatrhythm has launched for a tantalising price of absolutely nothing. Free! It sounds too good to be true, and like with most things, that's because it is.

Unbalanced pricing strategies aren't uncommon when it comes to the Square Enix mobile push. We reported on the problems with Demons' Score's pricing (although with it currently on sale, it's actually affordable) but it looks like Theatrythm has fallen into the same pitfall. The 3DS version of the game - retailing for around $30 - includes 76 songs with the base version, with a further 56 available for $0.99 a pop. The iOS version, however, only comes with two tunes straight up, with a variety of differently priced DLCs to complete your collection.

Siliconera ran some numbers, comparing the two, and the results are a little startling. The 3DS version - for the full package - will cost around $81.47, including the price of the game itself. The iOS version, on the other hand? Well, let's look at the equation:
    • 13 bundles at $2.99 each = $38.87
    • + 59 songs at $0.99 each = $58.41
    • + 25 characters at $1.99 each = $45.75

That gives us a final total of $143.03. Talk about pricey! It looks like the completionists among you should stick to the 3DS version, or else wait for some super sales in the future to make sure you're not being overcharged.

[Source: siliconera]

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

True, but do consider the venue change. To anyone who has a 3DS already, the iOS version is basically just a free demo that makes them go "ooh, I should get this for the system, with so much stuff already on it" (and it works, trust me, I'm already considering it).

To anyone else, getting it on the system they have is marginally cheaper.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

phew so me having the 3DS version isn't bad then!

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'd like to point out that the average bundle comes with 4 songs, so you get about 54 songs for that 38 dollar price if you only buy bundles. Since I don't care about a few of the games sound tracks, the iOS game is not some big ripoff. I've been having a great time with 10 songs for about 5 bucks right now, if you wanted to play the game, but didn't plan on being a completionist, the iOS game could be a huge bargain.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

This calculation is a bit confusing. Are you limited to only buying 13 bundles? Could you not buy all of the songs in bundles? If so, that's pretty lame by itself.

As is, it looks like you'd have to spend something like $75 on the iOS game to get the same thing as the $30 3DS game (not including any extra characters the 3DS version comes with). So yeah, that's a bit ridiculous.

yeah i saw this free on the App Store and thaught wow must be one of those "free for 1 day sale" things the App Store sometimes does, then i read the description and was like "no, just no, i know when im being robbed"...

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    This calculation is a bit confusing. Are you limited to only buying 13 bundles? Could you not buy all of the songs in bundles? If so, that's pretty lame by itself.

As is, it looks like you'd have to spend something like $75 on the iOS game to get the same thing as the $30 3DS game (not including any extra characters the 3DS version comes with). So yeah, that's a bit ridiculous.
    The song bundles are different songs then the singles.

It's really not that ridiculous considering the quality of a mobile game you can get for about 10 bucks

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Square-Enix manages to use add-ons and DLC in every possible way I find despicable about add-ons and DLC. Hopefully the added songs will one day be packaged all for $5 or something. Then I might consider it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum