Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I saw this again with my parents. This time in 3D. I did not like the 3D. I hate that it tries to make you focus on one thing when maybe I wanted to look at the pretty background, jerk 3D. I preferred the 2D for this film.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Well, when I saw it in 24 fps with my girlfriend New Years Eve, I didn't want to vomit this time around, so that's a plus!

I didn't approve of the ending. Deathly Hallows Part 1 ended the same way but it had the excuse of being a Part 1.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

What was wrong with the ending specifically? And er...this is a part 1.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

It's not called "Part 1" at all though. (SPOILER)I mean at the end of Fellowship, the group was heading somewhere. Not all in the same direction obviously, but there they went (I originally still had a problem with that ending too actually). The end here... not so much. Dropped on a rock. I hated that kind of ending for DH too, but as I said, they get a pass for labeling the film "Part 1".

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?

:monster:

Neither was The Fellowship of the Ring. Neither was Star Wars: A New Hope (although that was labelled Episode IV in the opening crawl, and A New Hope wasn't even added into the official title until later, but anyway). It's still the first part of a trilogy, and no one involved in the production of the film has been even remotely coy about that fact. The Hobbit Part I: An Unexpected Journey would be an even more unwieldy title than the one they actually used. Just because it doesn't actually say Part I in the title doesn't mean it isn't still a Part I.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

The Hobbit was released as a single book. Lord of the Rings was released originally in three volumes. That may all still count as one book in Europe but in simple America, a single book is any one draft you can read cover to cover thus the second and third volumes would be considered second and third books which is why three films is better fitting for that particular title. Not that I care Hobbit is being made into multiple movies, I just didn't prefer the ending.

As for the whole Part 1 thing... I despise it altogether. Harry Potter and Twilight were good stories, but they didn't need to expand it the way they did... they were just milking another movie out of the franchise.

Blog Entries

It had a few pacing issues imo, I probably wouldve enjoyed it more if i hadnt read the book since I knew most of the jokes that were coming. I dont like that Bilbo had a packed bag wheras in the book he just ran straight out the door with the clothes on his back. Also the last bundle of dwarves to crash through the door didnt say "at your service"
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

This isn't just an adaptation of The Hobbit. It's an adaptation of The Hobbit plus large numbers of canonical supplemental material Tolkien wrote that isn't included in The Hobbit. Again, the filmmakers haven't really been making any secret of this.

Blog Entries

The eagles cant fly the ring all the way to Mordor. The eye would have seen the eagles approaching and imediately dispatched his Nazgul on Fellbeasts to intercept them and if they lost the fight, all would be lost. It was safer the Frodo to travel on foot, where it is much harder for the Eye of Sauron to see him.

As for why the eagles dont fly the Dwarves to the lonely mountain, well the matters of Dwarves are hardly thier concern. Its not like the countries of our world would waste resources to find oil reserves for another country. They intervened to save thier lives as a request from Gandalf but they are not tools nor slaves to be called upon every time someone wants a quick ride. It's like when a relative breaks thier computer and asks you to fix it for free, you might be generous the first few times but after a while you feel it is not your problem anymore. And im sure eagles have been dealing with "hey can i get a quick ride" bulltrout from all of middle earth for thousands of years.

If anyone was a dick it was the elf who marched his entire army to the mountain then left. I get that you dont want to help but theres no need to rub your entire army in the Dwarf's faces.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 01-12-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Haven't read all of the thread, but did anyone else think that the burning tree moment's music had so much Liberi Fatali / One Winged Angel going for it? I couldn't help but laugh at the time. I'm sure it's more that all three songs are mutually influenced by something else, but yeah, good times.

Lord of the Rings is technically six books, three volumes, one story.

I found the movie wonderfully enjoyable.

EDIT: In response to Ouch! - particularly the last bit in his post - I actually found Return of the King to be embarrassing and feel The Hobbit is much, much better.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I went in with low expectations for this movie which I think is partly why I enjoyed it so much. I'm buggered by the ending, sure, but that's mainly because we were introduced to three antagonists throughout the film and none of them were dealt with. Instead we deal with an antagonist we've never met, never heard of, and never seen until this second in the film. Then the movie ends. What the f? Couldn't even deal with the alborc before the credits rolled..? shi-

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    *click*
    The eagles cant fly the ring all the way to Mordor. The eye would have seen the eagles approaching and imediately dispatched his Nazgul on Fellbeasts to intercept them and if they lost the fight, all would be lost. It was safer the Frodo to travel on foot, where it is much harder for the Eye of Sauron to see him.

As for why the eagles dont fly the Dwarves to the lonely mountain, well the matters of Dwarves are hardly thier concern. Its not like the countries of our world would waste resources to find oil reserves for another country. They intervened to save thier lives as a request from Gandalf but they are not tools nor slaves to be called upon every time someone wants a quick ride. It's like when a relative breaks thier computer and asks you to fix it for free, you might be generous the first few times but after a while you feel it is not your problem anymore. And im sure eagles have been dealing with "hey can i get a quick ride" bulltrout from all of middle earth for thousands of years.

If anyone was a dick it was the elf who marched his entire army to the mountain then left. I get that you dont want to help but theres no need to rub your entire army in the Dwarf's faces.
    Wha... is this responding to something?

The antagonists in LotR weren't dealt with in the first film either. I'm not really bothered by it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well, Fellowship did have that one lead Uruk-hai that hunted the fellowship, and he was then beheaded by Aragorn. Two Towers had the armies of Saruman taken out at Helm's Deep and Saruman was pretty much defeated by the end of that movie.

I would have liked to see Azog taken down in this film. Then his son could lead in the battle of five armies.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    *click*

Wha... is this responding to something?
    There were some people in this thread complainging about eagles. I didnt quote them.
    Have a nice day!!