Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job System in FF13

Default Job System in FF13

Can anyone break the main characters' roles into basic FFXIII job classes? They can be a mixture of some I just want to see if this system is still within the latest of FFXIII games. Plus, I know the paradigm system. For example, Fang comes across as a Dragoon since she summons Bahamut(dragons associated with dragoons), she wields a lance, performs a jump attack as her full ATB, and the name of it is Highwind something else associated with Dragoons.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Lightning is somewhere in the vicinity of Warrior/Paladin/Magic Knight, because she wields a sword and can naturally use magic esp. White Magic in the Medic class. Commando/Medic definitely encompasses her sort of role. Although Red Mage could come into play if you place an emphasis on the Ravager role.

Sazh is a Gunner, plain and simple. He could also be seen as a Time Mage though, as he has a few buffs most notably Haste, but Gunner primarily.

Snow is a Monk. I mean, he attacks with his fists and has strong defensive capabilities too.

Hope is a type of mage, but specifying is hard because he covers all the bases, but unlike a Red Mage, has no physical prowess. I guess he could be seen as a Sage in a way; they usually have a variety of spells across the fields of magic.

Vanille is probably easiest to classify as a White Mage, her Medic skill is her best asset and although she does get Death through Saboteur, it doesn't really fit that light hearted kind of personality she's got going on.

Gotta agree with you on Fang too, for all the reasons you said.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Lightning-Paladin
    Sazh-Red Mage
    Snow-Monk
    Hope-Black Mage
    Vanille-White Mage
    Fang-Dragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    Lightning-Paladin
    Sazh-Red Mage
    Snow-Monk
    Hope-Black Mage
    Vanille-White Mage
    Fang-Dragoon
    I can see why Sazh is a red mage since being a Ravager(using black magic) is one of the three roles he is good at. While Synergist uses various buffs which is considered white magic. Didn't think of it like that. So could he be a cross between this and a gunner?
    Last edited by Reverof Enola; 12-18-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't think his physical stats are quite good enough to consider him a Gunner, imo.

Articles
    Blog Entries

He's about average for me physical-wise, having said that, the majority of his strengths stem from his superb range of weapon abilities compared to the other characters. Some can prove to be immensely useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    I don't think his physical stats are quite good enough to consider him a Gunner, imo.
    Have you ever used his blitz? I use that every time I fight against the two types of Guis. Since his blitz is meant to hit all opponents within range. Which is better than the Jack-of-all -Stats Lightning and the powerful Commando Fang whose blitzes can't compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    He's about average for me physical-wise, having said that, the majority of his strengths stem from his superb range of weapon abilities compared to the other characters. Some can prove to be immensely useful.
    True, even though one of them decreases his health but that's the price of power.

Articles
    Blog Entries

His Blitz is good, but his physical stats are still less impressive, and he is the weakest of the primary Commandos.

Articles
    Blog Entries

His blitz only really excels against large, beefy enemies who are forced to soak every last bullet in his arc.. it's for this reason that you can actually down an adamantoise early with the right gun and strategy.

However, aside from those large enemies, his blitz is unique, but not necessarily better in standard play.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Gunners aren't meant to be overly beefy, imo, and they use elemental shots, at least from what I remember of FFTA.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Gunners aren't meant to be overly beefy, imo, and they use elemental shots, at least from what I remember of FFTA.
    His use of en-elements probably backs up your point Jiro. He's about average on every single stat as well, so he's hardly beefy until you acquire his unique weapon abilities.

Good topic!!!

Speaking about assigning a Job Class to FF characters in games without the traditional classes is what I like the most...

Actually in this game I still didn't plan well the development of classes since I want to skip many Crystarium nodes to emphasize even more the difference between melees and casters, or even other classes...

Actually I want to have Lightning, Snow, Sazh and Fang to have as few spells as possible and their Ravager roles should be based on elemental strikes, not magic spells...

Actually it's possible to avoid many spells that are on the external route nodes...

But this game lacks stats beside power and magic and I don't what to distinguish only between melee and caster...

I'd say:

Lightning - Mystic Knight
    Snow - Monk
    Vanille - White Mage
    Hope - Black Mage
    Sazh - Sniper/Chemist
    Fang - Dragoon

But I don't find that easy to customize them to fit perfectly those classes like I do in many FF games without specific classes like VII, VIII or X...
    If you want to be a Final Fantasy hero...............

Choose your class!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Yes, the game makes it difficult to fully customize a character like you could in Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy VIII.

The Crystarium System is fairly linear in the original game for the most part. I would have liked to see it either more linear or not linear at all. I don't like it when it is stuck a bit too in-between, as you end up pleasing less than if it was one way or the other, you know what I mean?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    Yes, the game makes it difficult to fully customize a character like you could in Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy VIII.
    Yes indeed!

Of course you could skip some skills and augments but also modify your stats via equipment and so give a personalization to characters but far from being able to really customize them...

The Crystarium System is fairly linear in the original game for the most part. I would have liked to see it either more linear or not linear at all. I don't like it when it is stuck a bit too in-between, as you end up pleasing less than if it was one way or the other, you know what I mean?
    Yes, I know... There are FFs with absolutely definite classes like IV or IX that are at least better than XIII because when you have a Monk there you know you have a pure Monk (I mean Yang and Amarant) and not someone like Snow that yes, fights with fists but has also a mixture of magic and other stuff...

Of the other hand the FFs I prefer the most are the fully customizable ones where you just have a specific weapon and one or two unique abilities per character but outside that you're fully able to customize the team of course following some clear hints given (Tifa and Zell are the obvious Monks of VII and VIII)...

I don't like, on the other hand, what we have in XIII, that hybrid system you talked about...

Choose your class!

I have to re-post because I'm seriously playing it now with the sole aim of character customization (job classation hahahaha )

It's the first Final Fantasy to date where I'm really in a pinch at doing it...

I can even restrict fighters to Commando and Sentinel roles but nothing can prevent them to cast "Ruin"...
    The first thing in my classes is "fighter-casters clear distinction"...

I know they are l'Cie etc. etc but still...

I can consider Ruin as pure magic ball and not a real spell... Well, even spells are not so spectacular themselves or it's the action that is too messy...

Also I want to pose severe restrictions on many aspects! I develop just one role per character during the game and another role (the one with the Full ATB move) when the story tells they have awaken l'Cie true power, all the role at once starting from level 1, after having gained a lot of CP from developing just one role! It would feel like they have really powered up a lot all at once! Very anime-like when they have a huge boost but it's the sole cool thing I can do I fear...

Anyway:

Lightning
    - Commando: powered up during the game
    - Ravager: powered up later, not used in Paradigm until then

Sazh:
    - Ravager: used in Paradigm since the beginning but not powered up until later
    - Commando: powered up during the game

Snow:
    - Commando: used in Paradigm since the beginning but not powered up until later
    - Sentinel: powered up during the game

Vanille:
    - Medic: powered up during the game
    - Ravager: used in Paradigm since the beginning but never powered up
    - Saboteur: used in Paradigm since the beginning but not powered up until later

Hope:
    - Ravager: powered up during the game (except Last Resort that comes later)
    - Medic: used in Paradigm since the beginning but never powered up
    - Synergist: used in Paradigm since the beginning but not powered up until later

Fang:
    - Commando: used in Paradigm since the beginning but not powered up until later
    - Sentinel: powered up during the game

I think I can actually give some customization to characters like that and also have more of a challenge!

Far from being able to recreate classes though...

Choose your class!