Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112

Thread: Criticize This Game

I don't understand the criticisms against the visual style and the graphics. I think both aspects are truly beautiful for a PS1 title. I also never understood some people's opinions about everything needing to be hyper-realistic and considering something like super-deformation as "childish". Oh well.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

its not that i find it childish, i dont mind superdeformed when its done right, hell i love Arc the Lad and theyre sortta deformed to the point that a character breaks the fourth wall and says something about it to the player... no for me the art direction problem with IX was i saw the original character designs where everyone looked awesome, even Steiner, but when i try to play the game the art now comes off as a parody of what could have been if they didnt change it... visualy the artbook ruined it for me, i almost wish they never included illustrations and 3D renders of what the characters were supposed to look like in "The Art of FFIX" cause now when i look at the characters i get the feeling of so much wasted potential by the art department, like their hard work got thrown out cause some moron higher up says, you know what would be cool lets deform everyone...

My problem doesn't even go into the character illustrations. I love the designs, truly. I also don't find the need for it to be "realistic" like Final Fantasy VIII. I just think everything is too.... "grainy", I suppose? Even for a PS1 title, it's very grainy. I didn't find VIII to be that bad. It was a backset, I think.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

And that's what I'm talking about when I say the game tried to do more than the PS1 was capable of. All the details in textures and character models is just reduced to a grainy mess because the PS1 can't output a resolution high enough to let us see those details. Also, no texture filtering.

FF8 looks better because the game doesn't try to display more details than what the console was capable of making look right.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    I don't understand the criticisms against the visual style and the graphics. I think both aspects are truly beautiful for a PS1 title. I also never understood some people's opinions about everything needing to be hyper-realistic and considering something like super-deformation as "childish". Oh well.
    Basically they don't like funky proportions.