Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite RPGs of all time

Default Your favourite RPGs of all time

I love Pokémon and many people call it an RPG. I don't so it is not in the list. If it were it would be in the top 5.

I. Compilation of Final Fantasy VII (yes, it includes some parts which are not from the real RPG genre)
    II. Nier Gestalt
    III. Final Fantasy VI & IX
    IV. Kingdom Hearts Series
    V. Chrono Trigger
    VI. Final Fantasy X Series
    VII. Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy XIII Series
    VIII. Atelier of Arland Saga, Rorona, Totori, Meruru
    IX. Eve Series (also not everything is RPG-like like in 3rd Birthday)
    X. Final Fantasy IV Series & Final Fantasy VIII

You may also make a top 20 or whatever.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

1. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    2. Super Mario RPG
    3. Pokemon Gold

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

How do you define RPG in a way that includes Final Fantasy but excludes Pokemon?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    How do you define RPG in a way that includes Final Fantasy but excludes Pokemon?
    Thank you, that was worded wonderfully.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I just do. For me an RPG needs a real main character who talks and has character development and does not just say his name, gender and yes and no (and in case of Red talk to the Mimic girl and in Black and White 2 they at least have text when acting). And the character development is not what he/she does during his journey which is something which happens in every story but a story which is written "into the journey and happening during the journey" itself with them really making experience and watching the results of it, so not just "character development: start in village, goes to town x, beat bad guys, mastered a league". Pokémon main characters just do something. It has nothing to do with developing their character itself and you never see that character actually "growing" from the experience they have made (and no, beating a League after getting that experience at the end of the journey is not the same, it is also just a part of the "To do"-list which normally has character development and fitting events for it seperated and it also requires experience which is not necessarily a part of the character development itself, especially not when no story is told). Cloud beating ShinRa or asking for a Chocobo is also not part of his character development but just something he does during his journey. It is a part of the story but not character development. The rivals in Pokémon at least have character development. I grow from my experience. This shown and expressed is character development. And like said, just beating a League is not enough. Otherwise every RPG does not need any character development and story than the journey itself. Pokémon main characters just have the "experience of traveling around with their Pokémon and respecting them so they can become friends and achieve their goal". In other words, an RPG story line with the logical consequence of what a character normally does and experiences while his "character", his "self" is not shown to be developed. You may expect he gets new friends (except the Pokémon) and all. But that is not told the way you tell a character development part of a character you want to develop. And "the journey itself" without real character scenes to express the experience and reasonings is not enough for me to call it that, you would never do that for Final Fantasy alone. The main requirement experience "learns enough to reach the spot or to achieve that goal" is nothing if nothing is told. It is something which is a logical consequence but tells nothing about the character himself/herself, only the "learned that to reach something" without any explanations and thoughts of the characters. Pokémon is just not an RPG for me because of some missing aspects like that even if it is the official genre and I accept it.

VI and Pokemon counts as a RPG. Pokemon Black and White series.
    Cool for you. Maybe you read my post next time.

EDIT: I will be polite and not define RPG's. But I guarantee you that the "main character develops as a person" is not an aspect of them.
    Then you would have not played more than 2-3 RPGs. And your own Final Fantasy and other RPG experience shows that you are wrong. Sorry

I will guarantee you that it is a normal aspect of RPGs. It is an axiom that normally a role playing game replaces yourself with another character or more characters who grow(s) as a person over the time and that other characters, in case their are other characters also grow over the time. And its not only that. Pokémon has many things that don't fit to a normal RPG. Maybe you don't just post something different purposely all the time in a Final Fantasy forum were people even get angry about missing character development in an RPG. That even shows that I am true. People want a character nowadays and a "character" is not just a "person" but the "personality" itself. Also check Wiki which includes "Character Development" for RPGs. And not only that. The rest of the RPG-like elements in Pokémon are not even there where they would be in a normal RPG. It never felt RPG-like for me because it is not RPG-like and I almost only play RPGs. Even Final Fantasy I which also has like no Character Development still feels like a normal RPG because the other normal RPG-aspects are present the way they normally are in an RPG. And still Final Fantasy I also has that :/-no characters, but only the story of "you are the chosen ones and need to save the world"-story. And even that said more about the characters than you get to know about a Pokémon main character. What they feel, experience and think during their journey. That is Character Development. And thatis a normal aspect of an RPG.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-26-2012 at 12:08 AM.

I Final Fantasy series
    II Chrono Trigger
    III Kingdom Hearts series
    IV Star Ocean series
    V Persona games
    VI and Pokemon counts as a RPG. Pokemon Black and White series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

You should all know better than to attack someone else's definition of RPGs, carrying on as if there will ever be a working definition. I think OP Sephiroth brought up story well enough to prevent his Final Fantasy/Pokemon differentiation from being called inconsistent.

My list from the last one, in order:

01. Final Fantasy VII
    02. Dragon Quest V
    03. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    04. Final Fantasy Tactics
    05. Dragon Quest VIII
    06. Valkyria Chronicles
    07. Final Fantasy IX
    08. Shining Force I/II
    09. Final Fantasy XII
    10. Pokemon Red

Some more, in no particular order:

11. Valkyria Chronicles 2
    12. Xenogears
    13. Dragon Quest IV
    14. Final Fantasy II
    15. Chrono Trigger
    16. Demon's Souls
    17. Final Fantasy V

I have trouble picking favorites but the FF series (VI-X mainly), Pokemon series, Suikoden V(only played V, getting around to the others ) and Dragon Age: Origins are up there.

Articles
    Blog Entries

1. Final Fantasy VI
    2. Baldur's Gate II
    3. Fallout 2
    4. Final Fantasy IX
    5. Planescape: Torment
    6. Chrono Trigger
    7. Final Fantasy VII
    8. Fallout: New Vegas
    9. Persona 3
    10. Deus Ex

EDIT: I will be polite and not define RPG's. But I guarantee you that the "main character develops as a person" is not an aspect of them.
    Last edited by Laddy; 12-25-2012 at 06:52 PM.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Even if you accept IX is a good game it's sure as trout not better than PS:T, New Vegas, or Deus Ex. Laddy what are you smoking bro.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Even if you accept IX is a good game it's sure as trout not better than PS:T, New Vegas, or Deus Ex. Laddy what are you smoking bro.
    I am smoking fine taste.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Top 5:

1. Suikoden II
    2. Final Fantasy Tactics
    3/4. Suikoden III and V.
    5. Lunar: SSSC

Honorable mentions in no particular order:

Final Fantasy VI, VII, and XII
    Breath of Fire III
    Chrono Trigger
    Baldur's Gate II
    Morrowind
    Suikoden I

There are so many more recent popular ones that I haven't even gotten around to playing yet, though.

:monster:

Top five is probably:

1. Final Fantasy VI
    2. Chrono Trigger
    3. Final Fantasy IX
    4. Suikoden II
    5. Dragon Quest V

Other favourites include Earthbound, Shadow Hearts, Final Fantasy V, and Chrono Cross. As with WesLY, though, there are a ton of important RPGs I've never played, including obvious stuff like Lunar: SSSC and Xenogears.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

1) Chrono Trigger
    2) Suikoden II
    3) Final Fantasy IV
    4) Dark Souls
    5) Earthbound

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    Baldur's Gate II