Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default Lightning Returns screens show off game world

The first English screenshots have been released, showing off the divine city of Luxerion, a staunchly religious city with a bad case of impending doom. While still images might not be the most exciting thing just after the release of the first Lightning Returns trailer, there's still new places shown and at the very least the environments - and Lightning herself - are beautiful.

Each of the stills comes with a caption, revealing a little more about the nature of the shot as well as elements within the game. From this, we've been able to glean a few tidbits which might interest you! With Lightning as the sole participant in battle, the system has been switched up a bit. No longer is she bound to a single class; instead, commands can be customised to ensure you're always able to handle every situation. Say goodbye to Auto-Battle, too!

There are some more hints on the plot, too. Lightning has been tasked with investigating serial murders happening within the city, probably tied to the strange group wearing hooded robes and meeting in the dead of night. Apparently, someone is also tracking Lightning; is it the group, or some other faction? How this all ties together is a bit of a mystery so far, but I guess that's the point of playing the game!

Clocks play a prominent role, with the passage of time an important thing to take note of, as well as the time of day having an effect on actions of NPCs and events. Monsters also appear frequently at night, and there are new monsters introduced to bring fresh flavour to the new world.

Clearly you're more interested in seeing the goods than hearing me explain it, so without further ado, your Lightning Returns screenshots!

field1-700.jpg
    "A group donning white robes gathers quietly in Luxerion as the clock strikes midnight. Some missions require skills of stealth as Lightning is ordered to trail this mysterious mob."

field2-700.jpg
    "Interactable objects like this pole can be found around town. Utilize them to get around quickly and effectively!"

field3-700.jpg
    "The dawn's light uncovers a secret code, one of the clues needed to uncover a mystery. More are hidden around town, but can only be found during certain times of day."

world-north-station-700.jpg
    "A clock hangs from the station's exterior. As time management is vital, numerous timekeeping devices are scattered throughout the city."

world-monorail-700.jpg
    The train featured in the trailer, which Lightning presumably arrives on. I wish our rail network had trains like this.

world-station-700.jpg
    The citizens of Luxerion go about their business as usual.

world-city-700.jpg
    "The streets are full of hustle and bustle during the day, but few residents are seen wandering the premise at night. When darkness falls, monsters come out to play. Different foes can be encountered during different times of day."

world-office-700.jpg
    "The downtown area is located between the business district and northern station. Among the businessmen and window-shoppers, merchants can be found selling their unique products to passersby."

battle1-700.jpg
    "With this brand-new battle system, the player will be controlling Lightning and Lightning alone. The Paradigm Shift feature has been replaced with a unique tactical system that will provide a fresh, interactive battle experience!"

battle2-700.jpg
    "Lightning faces Anubys, a barbaric creature whose axe is as destructive as his rage. Will her new blade be enough to defeat this savage creature?"

battle3-700.jpg
    "Customization is the name of the game! Unlike the previous installments, players can now mix and match abilities without the limitations of roles."

battle4-700.jpg
    "A brand-new world calls for brand-new monsters! Discover their weaknesses and devise the best strategy for victory."

cutscene1-700.jpg
    "Lightning finds herself in the city of light, Luxerion, where strange events seem to occur at every turn."

cutscene2-700.jpg
    "Lightning appears to be talking to a "disciple." Who are they and what is their agenda?"

event1-700.jpg
    "Lightning's every move in Luxerion is being monitored, but by whom?"

event2-700.jpg
    "An organization called the Order is in charge of keeping the peace in Luxerion. Called forth by the hearing officer, Lightning decides to look into the serial killings."

[Source: Square Enix]

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

is that jester asking for info on all the town's deaths

anyway this is gorgeous

Articles
    Blog Entries

So far, I am swooning off my feat. I love how modern it is, Lightning using a payphone.. monsters coming out to play at night. I'm impressed. I love the updates SE are making to this game, drip-feeding screens here, a trailer there. It's got me hooked.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It sure looks nice. I'm a little skeptical about Lightning being the only playable character, though.

Got no problem with Lightning being the only controllable character. This city Luxerion, will it be 'fully traversable' like Rome in AC: Brotherhood?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    It sure looks nice. I'm a little skeptical about Lightning being the only playable character, though.
    I am a guy who likes travelling with a full party of six and caring after all of them, but I'm open with just Lightning. I'll have to see how the health system works because obviously she's the only character.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

The thing I am most interested to find out is if there is actual "free running" mechanics similar to Assassin's Creed or if it is merely context sensitive actions like we saw in the two previous games. It's flashy, sure, but it's almost the same as having a completely flat world.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

We'll have to wait and see, though I guess even if it is context-sensitive flashy free running, it's still free running.

Nice.

It's good to see another Assassin's Creed game into the series.

- Oh wait.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Nice.

It's good to see another Assassin's Creed game into the series.

- Oh wait.
    There isn't much of Assassin's creed here, unlike Versus.
    http://www.ff-xiii.net/images/scans/fam10.jpg
    http://famouswonders.com/wp-content/...s-basilica.jpg

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    The thing I am most interested to find out is if there is actual "free running" mechanics similar to Assassin's Creed or if it is merely context sensitive actions like we saw in the two previous games. It's flashy, sure, but it's almost the same as having a completely flat world.
    If done correctly it can be used to hide areas and make secrets in the game. If done correctly.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    If done correctly it can be used to hide areas and make secrets in the game. If done correctly.
    Why would you hide in a game that probably that use random encounters.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
    Why would you hide in a game that probably that use random encounters.
    What GoBo meant was areas that are hidden until you say, unlock a super jump ability or even just an already accessible area that's nondescripit without a walkthrough saying that there's a hidden item there.

I guess it done correctly, back alleys in Luxurion could hide away elixirs for all I know. If GoBo's correct, I really hope he his, because it sounds like a great idea!

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

SE has experience doing stuff like this in the past, the Trinity jumps in KH where a good example of making you go back to previously explored areas to find new swag.

Articles
    Blog Entries

SE has experience doing stuff like this in the past, the Trinity jumps in KH where a good example of making you go back to previously explored areas to find new swag.
    I remember those! There was one that went away in Halloween Town after the tower was destroyed, and I missed it.. blast it! Ruined my perfect game! It might not be something like that, but definitely there should be a collectable element to the game. Perhaps. I don't know what their planning.