Thread: What is Time Compression?

Default What is Time Compression?

Ultimecia: I am Ultimecia. Time shall compress... ...All existence denied

Time Compression

A complete mystery. Various states of "present" are believed to become

compressed. Sorceress' power from many generations may cross over to give 1

sorceress great strength. No one knows what effect this may have on regular

human beings.

Time Compression is something quite elusive and perhaps beyond our imagination but let's try to imagine it anyway.
    let's try to explain what is time compression based on what we see in the game.
    </pre>

Time Compression in reality itself can actually exist according to Laws of Physics.
    Like how gravity can bend time and space,time slows down the faster you move,Black hole ect.
    Let's try to imagine what it's like to be in a reality/world like that.
    What happen to matter and energy in a world like that?

What can Ultimecia accomplished in a world like that?
    She said I will reign, and you will be my slaves for eternity
    In order to become a slave you(squall) have to exist.
    It contradicts to what Rinoa said "She's the only one who would be able to exist in such a world. She, and no other".
    So how can we interpret these two notions.
    Should we take Ultimecia's words as fact (because She is the who creates Time Compression) and discard Rinoa's words as her own understand of what Time Compression is (Rinoa failed to understand Ultimecia's Mind)
    Or should we corroborate them to make a new interpretation.(Let's hear what your opinions about this).

All the events of Time Compression can be seen in disc 4.
    From How Ellone Send Ultimecia to the past for Ultimecia to achieved Time Compression - Squall and others go to the future and arrived at Ultimecia Castle(time Travel) -Ultimecia Ultimecia's Final Battle(How time and space being absorbed unto Ultimecia - Rinoa,Quistis,Selphie,Zell,Irvine end up in white void but Squall ends up in dark void, Rinoa's voice can be heard by Squall here (Rinoa:"Squall! Let's go home! Where are you!?") - Squall somehow travel to the past with Ultimecia - Back to dark void again - into nowhere(Final FMV) - Rinoa somehow found Squall and back to their own world again.

What happens to Time Compression after this? Is it over or is it still exist?

If It's over after Squall defeated Ultimecia there's no way Squall and Ultimecia can go back to the past. And there's no way Rinoa can bring Squall Back to their own world.

Perhaps The Power Ellone possessed is part of Time Compression's Existence.
    Ellone's Power Exist For Time Compression. Ultimecia is The Catalyst

So I think Time Compression "persists to exist" to become part of Everything Itself.
    It's existence cannot be denied - Time Shall Compress - All Existence Denied

</pre>
    I carry these memories inside, thoughts of A Soul colored by love and loneliness ~ Evol

Ultimecia compresses the time when she makes time periods one time period.

Ultimecia exists in her own present but is already with her consciousness in two time periods (meaning her past which is the present of our Squall also becomes her present while she also exists in her own present) since she can control the power inside of Edea which is given to her by another existing Ultimecia who died and this way she can transfer her consciousness to another time period. Make that another time period with Ellone's ability (send consciousness to a body in a past time period, but the person can notice, like Laguna, Kiros and Ward do) and she can exist in three time periods which all become her present at the same time while they are her past and future from a certain point of view when it comes to time periods. The idea is simply to have "power over more time periods" and so she automatically fuses them.

Ultimecia just hates all existence. She wants to be the only thing which exists. And what you see in CD 4 and when the story is about to end is not the full time compression. The full time compression would mean the end of the story but they were able to stop her.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-24-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Ultimecia exists in her own present but is already with her consciousness in two time periods (meaning her past which is the present of our Squall also becomes her present while she also exists in her own present)ince she can control the power inside of Edea which is given to her by another Ultimecia entity and this way she can transfer her consciousness to another time period. Make that another time period with Ellone's ability (send consciousness to a body in a past time period, but the person can notice, like Laguna, Kiros and Ward do) and she can exist in three time periods which all become her present at the same time while they are her past and future from a certain point of view when it comes to time periods. The idea is simply to have "power over more time periods" and so she automatically fuses them.
    Ultimecia should only exist in 2 time periods, when Ellone send Ultimecia into the past, she should no longer exist in Squall's time Ultimecia in Adel's body in the past and Her future self.

But if you mean She existed in three time periods (in Adel the past in edea the present and her future self). i understand what you mean.
    But still her existence only exist in Adel's body in the past and Her future self at the same time.

Ultimecia just hates all existence. She wants to be the only thing which exists.
    But She said she wanted to make Squall and others her slaves for eternity.
    Which means there's no way she is the only who can exists.

And what you see in CD 4 and when the story is about to end is not the full time compression. The full time compression would mean the end of the story but they were able to stop her.
    Nobody really understood what Time Compression is.
    Yeah a lot of people always say if Time Compression is complete that would mean the end of story.
    But i wish you can think differently about it for once.
    For example the reason why Squall and others can go to the future because there is Time Compression. And the reason Squall can travel to the past with Ultimecia is because Time Compression still exist.
    Without Time Compression time travel is impossible.
    Last edited by Evol; 12-24-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    I carry these memories inside, thoughts of A Soul colored by love and loneliness ~ Evol

Quote Originally Posted by Evol View Post
    Ultimecia should only exist in 2 time periods, when Ellone send Ultimecia into the past, she should no longer exist in Squall's time Ultimecia in Adel's body in the past and Her future self.
    No, she should exist in more than two time periods because of the presence of one consciousness in more than 2 time periods and I have explained, how. And even in Squall's present her consciousness is still present at the end which is needed for her plan. Her consciousness in her own body, her consciousness in Edea/later Rinoa and then because of Ellone's ability the consciousness in even more time periods. You think her abilities are that limited. But they are not. She can somehow connect her consciousness with a time period where the powers of an already dead Ultimecia existence was given to another woman and control many more witches in the past, so many Edeas/Rinoas when they got the power of another dying Ultimecia. And like I said, there is still Ellone's ability. Ultimecia combines those powers to transfer her consciousness and cause the paradox of them being past, present and future at the same time (short: she just uses manipulative powers to control time). Whether this makes too much sense or not is not relevant. It does in Final Fantasy VIII's universe since Ultimecia wants to use many abilities to control time completely. And that is all which is important about it.

But She said she wanted to make Squall and others her slaves for eternity.
    Which means there's no way she is the only who can exists.
    It is. The entities are connected to her alone since she is the only one who can resist the destruction via time compression. She is the one who does not erase the existence "Ultimecia" because she is immune to it.

Nobody really understood what Time Compression is.
    I cannot speak for you, however I do know and do understand what the Time Compression is.

You think Time Compression would allow people to do this and that. But that is not true. That is just the beginning of the Time Compression which "opens the time windows" when the time periods are connected, so the border between them begin to vanish and they are slowly becoming one. And so they can travel throug time. Later it would not be possible anymore since there a) are no time periods to travel and b) is no being left to travel. When the Time Compression is complete, there is nothing left but Ultimecia herself. Does she have anything from that? That is not the best question for a Final Fantasy villain. Sometimes the destruction of existence itself is the only thing they want. And the desire to reach this goal is the only thing we really cannot understand, even with all the given "reasons" since we are not like those superhuman beings who manipulate not just physics but meta-physics themself.

I have the Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania which explains the whole Time Compression plot and Ultimecia's abilities, including Griever's origin a lot better. I could continue and explain all of it, but believe me, it is a bit more complex than that and the easy way I explained it is enough.

I hope you understand it a bit more now. It is a weird topic, yes. But only because the topic time, time travelling and all is something no human being really understands so for such stories you can create many things and write it the way you want. Especially if you use a villain who can control time this way anyway.

EDIT: Your doubts don't change anything. I know it. Square Enix writes things, I read them, I know them. Just because you don't know or understand something it is not something which cannot be understood. I am sorry.

"Anyone claiming that they know it's possible is being bold, let alone saying they understand it."

It has nothing to do with being bold but with playing the game, reading the Ultimania and concluding. So don't say anything against others just because you did not. "Don't try to understand it in any real world concept" is a totally unnecessary sentence because those who understand it already combine it with the world of Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy VIII does in fact have law, physics, et cetera which can be used and should be used to understand it. Time Compression can be understood in general. Nobody says that it is explained to the very last word but as far as possible it can be understood and saying "it cannot be understood" and "no one understands it" is wrong.

"Think about it properly for just a second - wouldn't compressing all moments in time together just be one great big paradox?"

No it wouldn't. That is not what Time Compression is like and shows that you really do not understand it. Calling other people "bold" is a bold post of yourself.

EDIT II: That is not what I said. I wrote you a PM.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 04-27-2013 at 12:01 PM.

No, she should exist in more than two time periods because of the presence of one consciousness in more than 2 time periods and I have explained, how. And even in Squall's present her consciousness is still present at the end which is needed for her plan. Her consciousness in her own body, her consciousness in Edea/later Rinoa and then because of Ellone's ability the consciousness in even more time periods. You think her abilities are that limited. But they are not. She can somehow connect her consciousness with a time period where the powers of an already dead Ultimecia existence was given to another woman and control many more witches in the past, so many Edeas/Rinoas when they got the power of another dying Ultimecia. And like I said, there is still Ellone's ability. Ultimecia combines those powers to transfer her consciousness and cause the paradox of them being past, present and future at the same time (short: she just uses manipulative powers to control time). Whether this makes too much sense or not is not relevant. It does in Final Fantasy VIII's universe since Ultimecia wants to use many abilities to control time completely. And that is all which is important about it.

When Ellone send Squall's consciousness into the past Squall's consciousness no longer exist in the present.
    We can see Squall's consciousness resided within Laguna in the past.We can see Squall's mind in Laguna's.
    Squall's body in present seems to be sleeping and there's no consciousness.
    SO there's no way Squall's consciousness exists within two time periods at the same time.
    The same is true for Ultimecia when she was send to the past.

It is. The entities are connected to her alone since she is the only one who can resist the destruction via time compression. She is the one who does not erase the existence "Ultimecia" because she is immune to it.

So you are saying all existence will exist within her?

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Honestly, I am not sure if anyone besides Ultimecia herself really understood the concept of Time Compression. It was portrayed as a type of apocalyptic scenario, but some have speculated that Ultimecia might have been doing it for reasons that might align with self-defense, so it would make sense to me if it was a type of world where only she existed.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Someone who's better at theoretical physics help me out here but wouldn't Time Compression be compressing space as well and thus forming a singularity? :x

There aren't any theoretical physics papers on Time Compression for the simple reason that it's an insane concept to begin with. It's just a fantasy idea that the writers came up with.

Think about it properly for just a second - wouldn't compressing all moments in time together just be one great big paradox? All the events leading up to the point where Time Compression was triggered would be destroyed and thus would never have happened and then the TC would never have been triggered - cue loop. Likewise, all the future events after the trigger would never have occurred because they were destroyed... but how could they have been there to be destroyed or compressed because they never happened, paradox boom trout what.

Anyone claiming that they know it's possible is being bold, let alone saying they understand it.

Travelling close to the speed of light slows time down for the individual experiencing that speed, not the entire universe around them. Also, gravity slows down time but only an area surrounding it that's proportionate to its mass. Even then, the best you can do is grind time to a halt past the event horizon and that sure as hell doesn't compress all moments before and after it.

Time Compression is fantasy. It's 'magic'. Don't bother trying to understand it in any real world concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    EDIT: Your doubts don't change anything. I know it. Square Enix writes things, I read them, I know them. Just because you don't know or understand something it is not something which cannot be understood. I am sorry.

"Anyone claiming that they know it's possible is being bold, let alone saying they understand it."

It has nothing to do with being bold but with playing the game, reading the Ultimania and concluding. So don't say anything against others just because you did not. "Don't try to understand it in any real world concept" is a totally unnecessary sentence because those who understand it already combine it with the world of Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy VIII does in fact have law, physics, et cetera which can be used and should be used to understand it. Time Compression can be understood in general. Nobody says that it is explained to the very last word but as far as possible it can be understood and saying "it cannot be understood" and "no one understands it" is wrong.

"Think about it properly for just a second - wouldn't compressing all moments in time together just be one great big paradox?"

No it wouldn't. That is not what Time Compression is like and shows that you really do not understand it. Calling other people "bold" is a bold post of yourself.
    I'm sure you realise I'm talking about what Time Compression would mean if it were applied to the real world... as in our universe's physics. Anyone can understand what they were attempting to go for and what was said about it in the actual game, but the way you said you completely understand it implies that you believe it's possible and that you know how, which is stupid.

Also, my argument is more based on refuting this garbage:

"Time Compression in reality itself can actually exist according to Laws of Physics.
    Like how gravity can bend time and space,time slows down the faster you move,Black hole ect."

Yeah, okay. So you have time slowing down for the object moving at that speed, true. And you have a black hole that slows down time the closer you get to it, as with ANYTHING with mass, but the effects of a black hole are far more noticeable So we jump from that to "therefore Time Compression can actually exist according to the Laws of Physics". Sorry, but what laws? This thread is silly.
    Last edited by Caledfwlch; 04-27-2013 at 03:44 AM.

The full time compression would mean the end of the story but the
    y were able to stop her.